It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2008, 12:18 AM   #1
(female)

reyez HB User
Denied Cortizone Shot?????

I had my MRI this last week but cannot get in to the doctor till Oct 8. I am going to disneyland on the 24th.. However, I am havign a hard time even walking. I will be using crutches in disneyland.. I called my doctors office because the meds they put me on wernt working.. they doubled my meds but it still doesnt help much.. I asked for a cortizone shot & they told me the doctor doesnt like to do those.. I dont know what to do.. everytime I call they tell me no.. I cant keep this up till Oct 8th.. I dont know what to do when they keep telling me no.. Any ideas?

Old 09-14-2008, 05:49 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User
Re: Denied Cortizone Shot?????

Hi Killereyez:

Have you considered renting a wheelchair at Disneyland? Using crutches there would be very tiring for you since there is much ground to cover. A wheelchair would save wear and tear on your whole body. My husband and I went to DisneyWorld in FLA some years ago and he used a wheelchair (post polio). It was slower, but he was able to go on most rides. He used Canadian crutches for everyday life at home and wheelchairs for distance while traveling. He had his own wheelchair but I would think there would be rentals there.
Their brochures might be helpful.

Shirley H.

Last edited by Silver Swan; 09-14-2008 at 05:50 AM. Reason: typo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2008, 09:32 AM   #3
(female)

reyez HB User

Yes, they do have wheel chairs at disneyland.. If I need to rent one then I will. I was only going to use crutches because then I dont have to worry about being pushed around & trying to fit in a few areas that are very crowded. My problem is that reguardless... I can barley walk during normal everyday activities... I just dont know what else to do..

Old 09-14-2008, 09:44 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User

Hi Killereyez:

It sure would be nice if these theme parks would have motorized scooters or similar vehicles, available to visitors. (Maybe they do, by this time.) I would think that they would be very popular, but of course, expensive - but maybe rentals could defray the cost. There might be insurance liabilities that would complicate such rentals.

I understand your reluctance to ask someone to push the wheelchair. And also, I realize the difficulty and danger of using crutches in crowded areas.

I sure hope you can work out some way of getting to Disneyland and seeing things, with the least amount of inconvenience and discomfort. Please let us know how things work out.

Shirley H.

Old 09-14-2008, 10:23 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

libloom HB User

What type of meds are you taking? Are you on steroids? Anti-inflammatories?

Could be that the doc is waiting for the MRI results and, after a definate diagnosis, may be able to offer you the appropriate meds to help with the pain
(including an injection). In the meantime, call the office and request to be seen ASAP. They get cancellations all the time and may be able to see you sooner.

Good luck and have fun at Disneyland!

Linda

Old 09-14-2008, 02:23 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

If I remember from your earlier posts, this is your first knee problem, and you're new to this ortho. doc. I can pretty much guarantee you that no ortho doc is going to give you a cortisone injection because you call and ask for one, that's not how it's done. Cortisone is not used to treat all knee problems and can actually make some worse. He is probably also hesitant to increase your pain meds (whatever these may be) especially if you are navigating on crutches and you're not used to taking strong meds. Although it is unfortunate timing wise, the fact that your trip and his busy schedule fell at the same time is just that, unfortunate. So, your best bet would be to rent a wheelchair on your vacation and rely on it as opposed to the crutches.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:58 PM   #7
(female)

reyez HB User

I am on darvocet ( 4 pills a day) plus, naproxen- anti inflamatory 2 times a day. I call everyday but they say they have no cancellations. The meds arnt even helping anymore...

Old 09-15-2008, 09:00 PM   #8
(female)

reyez HB User

I dont get the results till Oct 8.. I am so frustrated.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:02 PM   #9
(female)

reyez HB User

They actually do have motorized ones.. they are $30 a day to rent instead of $10 for the regular ones.. I can use the wheel chair while in disneyland.. However, if I go to downtown disney or somewhere other then the theme park then I cannot take the wheel chair.. they said the wheel chairs can only be used in the parks.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:06 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

You are on very weak pain meds, but like I said the chance of them giving you anything stronger before seeing you is very slim. There is not really anything else they can do for you until the doc sees you. Not to be a killjoy but I think you'll most likely end up having to suffer through this trip and then seeing him when you get back.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:10 PM   #11
(female)

reyez HB User

I have heard from numerous people that Darvocet is weak.. When I saw the doctor 2-3 weeks ago he told me that it was strong medicine & stronger than vicodin.. I am going to keep trying to see what they can do. I do have an appt with my family doctor on thursday if they cant give me something.. I cant stand this pain.. It is attacking the nerves in my legs too.. I sound like a baby but I actually have a strong pain tollerance..

Old 09-15-2008, 10:13 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

Darvocet is actually one step above tylenol with codeine, then darvocet, then vicodin. You might want to be real careful about getting pain meds from a different doc besides your ortho, if he's the one treating you, some docs don't like this and consider it "doctor shopping". And if he hasn't wanted you on anything stronger then he probably will not be pleased that you went to another doc to get stronger meds, IMHO.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:19 PM   #13
(female)

reyez HB User

Thanks.. I appreciate the advice.. I just am so frustrated.. I told the ortho dr that I was taking vicodin & it wasnt working & he asked me if I wanted stronger pain meds & I told him yes & he prescribed darvocet.. That really upsets me that he gave me stuff that was less.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:46 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

Well if you were on Vicodin, I can see why he didn't give you anything stronger. He probably gave you the Darvocet to see if a different med compound would work. The next step up from Vicodin would be pretty strong like something they'd use post surgery...getting something that strong when you've not even seen him for MRI results or discussed what is actually wrong with your knee, I doubt that will happen, but good luck.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:48 AM   #15
(female)

reyez HB User

I called my dr again this morning & I think they just got sick of me complaining.. Because she told me to come in tomarrow at 4pm to see the doctor. I know its hard to give medicine without knowing the outcome of the MRI so I totally understand that.. but I am taking alot of medicine for it to not work.. I would of rathered more vicodin lol. Thanks for all of your help. I will hopefully get some good news tomarrow.

Closed Thread