It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2008, 05:08 PM   #1
(female)

Blanche31 HB User
Knee replacement

I am 63 year old woman scheduled for a knee replacement on Sept. 18. The doctor is Dr. B.....a well known doctor in the Philly/S.J area.....

I am apprehensive so please refrain from the scary details if possible. What I am seeking is some replies to this question.....if you had to do it over again would you? And if not why not?
Thanks for taking the time to answer....Blanche31

Last edited by Blanche31; 09-14-2008 at 05:09 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2008, 01:28 PM   #2
(female)

lthomas HB User
Re: Knee replacement

I would most definately have it again. As a matter of fact the other knee will also need replacement.

I didn't always feel this way. The pain was bad the first couple of weeks after TKA. I remember saying that I would never have the other knee replaced...no matter how bad it got. It was about 4 months before I actually said I would have the other knee replaced. I won't need it for a few more years though.

Gymnastics is fun at 18 but not at 40.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2008, 11:09 PM   #3
(female)

scribytoo HB User

I have had both of my knees replaced. I would do it again. I won't sugar-coat it because there is a period of time that is difficult...primarily the first 4 weeks. But I remember the first time I got up on my first knee and felt the strength in it. It was awesome! For a few days after, I thought I'd never be able to lift my leg on its own...then there was the day I lifted it up to the bed...what a wonderful feeling as the muscle strength returned. I'm currently recovering from foot surgery and I'd take a new knee over this any day because I could walk on it within a day after surgery.

Go in knowing it will take time to feel good. That physical therapy will challenge you. But you will walk away strong in the end.

Linda

Old 09-16-2008, 12:39 PM   #4
(female)

blazesmama HB User
Re: Knee replacement ouch-snap krackle pop

I had both knees replaced a year apart in Feb. 08. They still kind of hurt and itfeels like a lot of cracking going on . Does this sound normal? Does any one else have this? Also since then my ankles crack. Never did before. And my toes still get numb sometimes and my feet get very cold alot. What the heck? Every one told me it was the best thing .I'm not so sure. Dr keeps pretty vague about it when I ask questions.blazesmama Seems like all left side is kinda swollen too.

Last edited by blazesmama; 09-16-2008 at 12:54 PM.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:03 PM   #5
(female)

lthomas HB User

I have a lot of noise in my knee but the OS said I just have a noisy knee. I do have an appointment with him tomorrow. I seem to keep getting more ROM in my knee. It has buckled on me a couple of times and it seems to be swelling some in the morning. I had great results from the surgery but it seems that the futher away from surgery the more little suprises I have.

I have just had hip arthoroscopy. Everyone thought my hip pain post-TKA was an adjustment to my gait. Finally. after a year of tying everything, they did an MRI and CT and they showed advanced osteoarthritis. My TKA OS told me the only option was total hip.

I found the "guru" OS for hip arthroscopy. He literally wrote the book used in med school about the procedure. He developed the AMA coding and has patents on several instruments used in the procedure....His office is about 90 miles away..Imagine that.

He really wants more OS to consider the procedure as an option before total hip. I know it will probably just buy me time but I figure every day is one more day for things to improve. I have had no pain since the surgery so in my opinion it is successful.

Gymnastics is fun at 18 but not at 40.

Closed Thread