It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2008, 09:28 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Larimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB User
Hurricane Ike and hip replacement

So, its four days since the big hurricane hit texas. We sheltered in place in Houston and did ok. Had minor damage to the house (leak that can be easily fixed I think) but no electricity. We are grateful that our issues are so few.

But, dealing with no electricity in Houston heat has been hard. I wanted to stay at home because have everything "hip approved." No where else to go anyway since most of city had no power for several days. Today one of my friends got power and she invited us to stay with her. I hesitated only because I really need my elevated toilet seat, reacher, special pillows etc. But common sense prevailed and I just checked my ego and packed all my special stuff in a white plastic bag (I have two toilet seats--one with arms and one without so packed the one without arms as it is more compact). Tonight after work (yes today was my first day of work post surgery) I went home showered, packed and went to my friend's house at dinner time. Fortunately she had a chair with arms (I didnt' want to quiz her too much abiut the accomodations--keeping firmly in mind that over 66 percent of the city has no power and people are in the dark, sweating and miserable. ) Of course she served dinner on trays in the living room and I spilled wine all over the chair. My hostess was gracious and said not to worry about white wine on the furniture. I could have died. Now I 'm sitting in her lovely guest room. My eyes popped when I saw the bed. It is lovely--with soft mattresses and very high. I needed a step ladder to get into the bed. It was a challenge to get into it without violating hip restrictions. I'm already worried about getting out in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom as I can never go a full night without one trip. I'll have ti figure out how to position the bedside lamp so that its easily turned on and put the step ladder in position so that I remember its there and don't just step out of bed without thinking...my hip hurts already....but I'm grateful to be in a place with air conditioning and electricity.

Work today presented its own challenges--primarily finding chairs suitable to sit in. Our conference rooms are dreadful. My office chair is ok since it was specially ordered for me. (My boss is really nice).

So tonight I'm grateful for my friends and family, grateful that we survived Ike with relatively little damage and also praying really hard to have air conditioning by tomorrow! I'd really like to stay in my own house with my easy to get into bed, all my assistive devices nearby andall my procedures in place.

Also, I'm grateful that today is day 42 post surgery and that hurricane did not strike when I was first out of the hospita.

Still, really praying hard for electricity to come back on and a/c to be in house.

Maggie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2008, 03:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User
Re: Hurricane Ike and hip replacement

Hi Maggie:

I know just what you mean about being away from home, where we have our assistive devices, high chairs with arms, etc. I was at the pharmacy the other day, and their small "waiting room" had benches without arms and of course that wouldn't work for me. I stood for quite a while waiting for my prescription to be refilled, for dental visit.

By the way, my dentist gave me a prescription for the anti biotic for the next two 6 month cleanings and exams and that saved me a phone call to my doctor for a new prescription. What a convenince that is!

Those who have never had a hip replacement don't understand our needs and prohibitions so it is best not to be away overnight, or travel far, either. But it is worth it to protect our new hips.

My sister and her son's family were able to go to his second home in the hills so got away from Ike. Things OK when they got back home two days ago - had power but needed to look at freezer and refrigerator damage to food.
Glad you had a place to go for refuge during the hurricane. It was a dangerous storm.

Shirley H.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:43 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Hi Shirley,

I ultimately managed ok at my friend's house. I still don't have power at my house and utility company says that 50-75 percent of customers won't have power till next Tuesday. (banging head on wall now). But, at least we have a place to stay...It is challenging with restrictions...but I decided the best way to deal with issues is to just tell people what I need (still a little hard to do....)

Maggie

Old 09-17-2008, 08:45 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User

Hi Maggie:

I have found that it is best to be very upfront and straightforward when needing help in public. People have been so willing to help with picking objects off the floor because I can't get down there - things such as change at the grocery, my cane, etc. And the tow truck driver who boosted me up to those two high steps to the passenger seat! There have been occasions where I asked a man to let me take his arm for support and the men have been very courteous and helpful. s

Shirley H.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:59 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

I have power again. Whoo Hoo! So glad to be back in my own house!

Closed Thread