It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2008, 08:32 PM   #1
(male)

Koot HB User
Sore knees (all of a sudden for no reason)

Both of my knees have become very sore for no apparent reason. They've been sore for 2-3 weeks. I haven't done anything to damage them or cause this sudden onslaught of pain that lasts throughout the day and night. The pain often wakes me up at night. I'm 59 years old. The pain is mainly on the inside of my knees. If I had done something to hurt them I could understand it, but I haven't. And most of the time only one knee is damaged anyway. Any ideas?

Old 09-21-2008, 07:53 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User
Re: Sore knees (all of a sudden for no reason)

It's best to check with your doctor and get an MRI and Xrays to rule out any of the more serious issues. Your problem could be as simple as arthritis or something far more complex involving ligaments and tendons, spurs, cartilage tears etc. Gout is also another condition that usually starts with knee pain, you will usually see swelling with that however.

Either way, because you've had pain for several weeks it does deem looked into.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2008, 09:12 AM   #3
(male)

Koot HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
It's best to check with your doctor and get an MRI and Xrays to rule out any of the more serious issues. Your problem could be as simple as arthritis or something far more complex involving ligaments and tendons, spurs, cartilage tears etc. Gout is also another condition that usually starts with knee pain, you will usually see swelling with that however.

Either way, because you've had pain for several weeks it does deem looked into.
Thank you Kissa! (I think...) You mentioned Gout, which made me research the topic a little. I learned right away that people who have Gout almost always have a sore big toe. Well, I didn't mention it but - guess what? Yep, I have a sore big toe too!

I have never had gout before, or if I have it wasn't serious enough to notice. My guess is that I do have a bout with Gout (excuse the pun). That would explain why both my knees hurt, knowing I didn't damage them...and also why my big toe (on right foot) hurts too. My toe started hurting at the same time my knees started hurting.

Now I need to find out how best to rid my body of the excess Uric acid I have that causes Gout.

Again, thank you for mentioning that my problem may be Gout. The symptoms of Gout fits perfectly with what I'm experiencing.

Old 09-21-2008, 04:08 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

Koot please do not try to attempt to get rid of uric acid on your own. Please see a rhuematologist first to be tested for it (but symptoms fit). They can prescribe medication making this much easier. If you do in fact have Gout I can tell you from what others have said it does get worse if not tended to.

There's some information on the Arthritis board about foods to avoid and what can happen as a result of it.

Gout is in fact considered a form of Arthritis and often over looked. Please see a doctor soon and let us know how it goes! Posting on the Arthritis board might also help some

Wishing you the very best!

Old 09-21-2008, 04:26 PM   #5
(male)

Koot HB User

Thanks Kissa!

Old 10-30-2009, 05:06 PM   #6
(male)

schemenauerj HB User

Hi Koot,
I read your post on your Ulnar Nerve Injury post from golf. I am experiencing the exact same symptoms (numbness in my left pinkie and ring finger, muscle wasting between index and thumb and weakness in my thumb) I am an avid golfer (lefty) and I am having a very difficult time applying pressure to the club with my left hand thumb, which is my guide finger. It has been 6 weeks and I am searching for advice on what will be my best approach towards rehab. Any suggestions that you could give me would be more than appreciated.

Some questions that I thought of.
Did you have numbness/tingling anywhere else in your body?
Did you end up having surgery?
If so, how long did you wait to have surgery after the injury?
How was rehab from the surgery?
Are you golfing yet?
Did you not have the surgery, what pro-active approach did you take to rehab?

Sorry this is on your sore knees post, I am not very good with these discussion boards. Any info that you could give me would be greatly appreciated, at this point I am just searching for answers. Thanks and God bless. Jason

Closed Thread