It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2008, 12:48 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB User
3 1/2 weeks post surgery

I'm at 3 and a half weeks post Knee reconstruction/Tibia Osteotomy and doing okay. The pain is uncontrolable at times...but probably because I tend to do more than I should. The interesting thing is that my knee doesn't actually hurt, it's the tibia bone where they cut it loose and then grafted it back together and screwed it down. I've been able to drive for a week now, and am going back to work part time on Tuesday. My physical therapist is great, I hit my 4 week goal, which is to bend my knee 90 degrees, in 2 weeks so that was good. He just shakes his head and laughs, says he's never seen someone with my pain tolerance before...well when you live with chronic pain for over half your life, you get used to pain. Only 6 more weeks of crutches, gosh I can't wait to get rid of those things. I hate having to rely on people to help me so much around the house! Having to sleep on my back with an immobilizing brace on sucks, I'm a side sleeper, so nights are probably the worst. I average about 3 and a half hours sleep a night. I can't wait to get to the 6 month mark to see if this has made things better. I really hope it works, otherwise it's a TKR for me in a year, which at 39, I'd be looking at several, and the prospect of that is not great.

Oh well, hope all post op guys are doing well!!

Old 09-21-2008, 03:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User
Re: 3 1/2 weeks post surgery

I'm glad to hear you are doing well but please don't over do it! I know if you are on pain medications it makes it all to easy to do too much without realizing it and then paying for it later.

I've been a candidate too for a TKR for many years but am stubborn, won't have one. The technology just isn't there right now. From what I read they last about 10 years. A nurse told me once the pain of a TKR is far worse than a THR post op.. well gee that's dandy considering how horrific my THR's were. Scares me to no end.

Call me a chicken but I am not ready to go down that road!
Keep us updated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2008, 07:44 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB User
Re: 3 1/2 weeks post surgery

Yeah, that's why my surgeons, I have 3, went this route instead of just jumping straight to a TKR, they just don't last long enough. And the pain issue...they said this one is actually more painfull because of the tibia bone being cut and moved over and raised then grafted back together on each side and all of it screwed together on the top. I'm on Fentanyl patches, oxycontin and oxycodone...pretty heavy duty drugs and the pain is still there, it never goes all the way away.

Closed Thread