It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2008, 09:04 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

softcrush HB User
Question ACL replacement possibility

Hey There:

It looks like I might need to kick around this idea with my new OS in a few weeks, so I'm trying to mentally prepare myself.

I'm searching all over the internet for positive stories on ACL replacement. Unfortunately, it seems people start out with a thread on their decision, but never come back with the final results! LOL

Leaves you wondering....

I'd love to know what they learned and what they would do differently if they had to do it again. So much on the net makes it sound VERY daunting. There must be some good outcomes and happy experiences out there from people who are not built like commandos.

Thanks...

~Soft (trying mightily to be positive)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2008, 04:36 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User
Re: ACL replacement possibility

Maybe you're putting the cart before the horse here...since your MRI didn't detect a torn ACL, perhaps you should just go to the new OS without any preconceived ideas of what you think you need and let him tell you what you need. That way you won't drive yourself nuts over the next few weeks getting ready for something that very well might not happen. You're spending so much time trying to diagnose yourself, because of the problems you've had with your past doctors that you're causing yourself alot of undue stress and anxiety. In my honest opinion, you would probably be better off, to relax a bit, and go to this new doc and just see what he has to say.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2008, 02:33 PM   #3
(female)

lthomas HB User

I have wonderful news for you. After my ACLr my knee was better than it had been in 30 years. I could do anything I wanted with no pain at all. Unfortunately my knee was so damaged my ACLr was to buy time before TKA. It bought me about 4 years.

I would do it over. I wish I had more quad strength before the surgery. PT is long and tough. I had 3 month of PT 3 times a week with ACLr..I had 9 visits over 4 weeks after TKA.

I was 52 when I had ACLr. I am not built like a commando.

Gymnastics is fun at 18 but not at 40.

Last edited by lthomas; 09-27-2008 at 02:38 PM.

Old 09-27-2008, 04:34 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

softcrush HB User
Wink Re: ACL replacement possibility

Kmit:

You have a good point there. Panic is never good. Forgive me.

I have just so happened to have unearthed a copy of my diagnostic print-out from the imaging lab. Check it out.

It says, "Although there is a mild signal heterogeneity noted in the anterior cruciate ligament, the fibers appear to be intact. This represents ligamentous sprain in patient with recent twisting injury."

Could we say in this instance that there was NO TEAR?

Ithomas...

That is fantasticl! I read a lot about this leg pre-op strengthing. I would imagine it would be hard to do if you are a hurting unit and need surgery. OY! I'll have to get creative on that score... Whew!

As far as I'm concerned, after all you have been through...you at the very least have the heart of a commando.

Thanks...for your report. It helps.

~S

Old 09-27-2008, 08:55 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Soft,

Yeppers, according to that report you only have an ACL sprain...no tear.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:52 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

softcrush HB User

Kmit:

Excellent! Trying to keep my fingers crossed...

Thanks...hope you are doing well.

~S

Old 09-29-2008, 03:47 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

softcrush HB User
Smile Re: ACL replacement possibility

I just paid my MRI bill today and decided to call the radiologist's office to get their take on my MRI report.

Didn't realize that the reason the radiologist gives for noting the injury is "recent" (doctor said it was old, and dismissed it as a possibility for pain), is that the MRI shows EDEMA. Wow... that is totally new! Apparently, the edema is INSIDE the ACL as well as around it.

The radio doctor said, edema usually points to recent trauma, unless its a chronic. I know that I twisted it five months back for the first time, and haven't walked on it normally since. So why in the world the OS would tell me its an "OLD injury that is far too small to be bothering you now"? He said he could tell (that it was old) by LOOKING at the MRI...when I pressed for clarification.

VERY strange. I would have not known that there was even ACL issue if I had not picked up the report myself before heading into seeing him. Only after he turned to me and told me my MRI "unfortunately looked excellent" (which struck me as an odd way to put it)...did I bring up the line of questioning about the ACL.

He apparently would not have.

Radio doc also said that she would expect the edema to cause considerable disabling pain, and that one would think OS would want to tell me to stay off it, and to work at getting the edema down.

In this condition, she suggested the ACL could get stretched out, if its not already. Thankfully, she confirmed again that she sees no tear at present.

Now, I don't know if her opinion is totally correct, but its another take to add to the mix, and I'm very grateful to her for that. I'm glad I thought of calling her.

She agreed that getting a second opinion might have some merit. And she was kind enough to say the she would consult with my new doctor regarding her report if I'd like.

Its amazing how two professionals can see things so differently.

Thanks...for listening.

~S

Old 09-30-2008, 12:14 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

I had an ACL repair done with autologous graft (a graft made from my own tissue - from the patellar tendon). That failed (turned out to be a bad surgeon) and when I found a new surgeon he did an ACL repair with a donor graft. That repair went well and has held for over 10 years now.

Given your MRI results it is possible and OS would do an atrhroscopy to get a good look at the ACL and all other internal knee structures and tissues. Even with the best imaging often a diagnostic arthroscopy is used.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:19 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Soft,

Have you heard anything more regarding your condition? Or seen the doc yet?

Kat

Closed Thread