It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2008, 04:21 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

ozfan79 HB Userozfan79 HB Userozfan79 HB User
knee pain two weeks after lateral release

Hi everyone!

I got my staples out last Wednesday (15 days after surgery). I had a little more pain than usual on Thursday, but it was tolerable. The pain has been a little more intense over the last two days. My knee isn't really swollen, and the incision is healing well. Should I be worried about the increased pain? Could I be experiencing more pain just because I am using my knee more?

ozfan79

Old 09-28-2008, 05:33 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User
Re: knee pain two weeks after lateral release

Oz,

yes, you may be overexerting it, and probably need to back off some. Are you doing PT? If so, ask you therapist about it. Also iceing it should help with the extra pain. Experiencing pain off and on for several months is really not unusual after knee surgery.

Unfortunately knees are one of the most painful areas of the body to be operated on.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2008, 05:52 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Kmit,

I have been doing some basic stretches. I start PT on Wednesday. I'm glad to know that this pain is normal.

ozfan

Old 09-29-2008, 05:05 PM   #4
(female)

leeann123456 HB User

For a while i had pain for the first good month, it was worse during the first week, the second week slowly got better, and then after I was still experiencing pain but tolerable pain! I found that after really getting into my physio that I was seeing the pain reduce more. Icing helps a lot! I would ice it often and I found relief with that. I found after the first 2 weeks my knee settled down, it was taking off all my bandages and tape over my incisions, that the pain started again. So i kept my tensor around it which helped decrease pain.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:12 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Oz,

The PT will help, it will be painful at first but it will help. I call my PT's room the torture chamber *l*. Be careful with the stretches, those can cause harm if your doing them to soon.

Kat

Old 09-30-2008, 11:16 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Pain at this stage is normal. You can actually expect a possible increase in pain with Physical Therapy - so they'll advice you to ice your knee and you may find the need for occasional pain medications after PT sessions.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:23 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Actually one thing that my docs and therapists always advised, and I've had tons of therapists, and therapies, was too take some pain meds before the PT, so that you're more comfortable and able to work during the session and not be in bad pain right after. I always do it that way and it works great.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:38 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

I am timing it so that I will take a pill before I go to PT. I've been to PT several times before for this, so I know that drill. The pain is decreasing a little. I rested my knee a lot yesterday, and I iced it several times. Thank you to all of you for your advice and concern!

Old 10-01-2008, 02:53 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

I had my first PT session today. I asked the therapist about the increased pain. He thinks most of that is from the surgical incisions. He said it should decrease as my leg gets stronger. The therapist was surprised that there wasn't much swelling in my knee. He took measurements. I can almost straighten my leg completely...he said the measurement was 1 degree. My range of motion wasn't quite as good when I bent my knee, but I figured that it wouldn't be as good. Overall, I was encouraged by the visit. I don't go back to PT until next Tuesday.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:15 AM   #10
(female)

colobotye HB User

Hi, I've been reading your posts on the lateral release. You appear to have had a successful recovery. I had one done myself this Aug. I'm still not able to walk without the aid of crutches & can't get my leg straightened. Still going to PT. I would welcome any rehab advice you might have. Also did you have terrible pain under the kneecap whenever you did the straight leg raises? It was suggested by the Doc to get a cortisone shot and get the fluid drained from my knee. Hopefully to alleviate the stiffness and pain so that I can get my quad rehabed. I would be very grateful for any info you have. Thank you

Old 11-19-2008, 12:13 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

I am still going to PT, but I am walking unaided. I still need to wear a knee brace for a few more weeks though. My range of motion is pretty much normal..zero degrees for extension and 120 degrees flexion. I do stil have pain/pressure under the kneecap when I fully extend my leg, but the therapist told me yesterday that my kneecap is really tight..it is basically stuck because of scar tissue. I need to work on loosening that. Doing that does hurt. The straight leg raises are still painful for me. The therapist has me doing them with a 4 pund ankle weight on my ankle now.

As far as rehab advice...take a pain pill or anti-inflammatory med between 30 minutes to an hour before a PT session. That helped reduce some of the pain I felt during PT. Does your therapist have you doing quad sets? Those are the exercises where you have your leg straight, and you push your knee down on the bed. Doing those helped strengthen my quad muscles tremendously. That also helped make the straight leg raises a little better.

My recovery has not been completely setback free. 6 weeks after surgery, I developed bursitis in my knee. I go back to the surgeon on Friday so that he can drain and/or inject my knee.

If you have any more questions, please ask me!

ozfan

Old 11-19-2008, 09:30 PM   #12
(female)

colobotye HB User

Thank you for the post. I'm going Thurs. to get the fluid drained and get a cortisone shot. I'll let you know how they go. I hope that it alleviates the sharp pain that I get under my kneecap whenever I try to lift my leg. I can sit with my leg straight, however it takes a few minutes to get it straight. Lots of coaxing and massaging, it amazes me how stiff it still is. I'm sure the fluid buildup has something to do with that. I'm suppose to head back to PT on Monday. My PT gal hooks me up to the electrodes to stimulate my quad muscle whereas I contract the quad at the same time. I'm hoping after the shot I can do more quad exercises. How long after surgery was it before you were walking? Or perhaps I should ask how long did it take you to strengthen your quad before you could walk? Thanks Again, colobotye

Old 11-20-2008, 04:57 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

I was walking the same day as my surgery. I used a walker for five days, but I was weight bearing the day of my surgery.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:53 PM   #14
(female)

colobotye HB User

wow how fabulous! I wish I woud have had that opportunity after my surgery. Obviously it's the way to go. Btw, if you're going to get the fluid drained and the cortisone shot on Friday. It's not too bad. The worse part is getting the medicine injected that numbs the area. It burns like the dickens, for about 30 secs or so. Apparently the key is to elevate and ice for the first day after the shot. Hopefully it goes well for you. Thanks Colobotye

Closed Thread