It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2008, 07:25 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Larimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB User
Pain on Non-operated Side after Hip Replacement Surgery

Hi. I'm getting ready to go to see my surgeon for my 8 week post-op visit on Thursday of this week.

One issue that has arisen in the last few weeks is pain/overuse of non-operated leg. I do have some arthritis in left hip and knee but it was not as advanced as my right hip. Now, 8 weeks after the operation on the right hip, I find my left knee is really sore. It was checked out right before surgery and no change in condition found--also I have really tight muscles in glutes on left side (piriformis I think). I have been icing the knee. I really hope that most of my soreness is due to overuse-I have a slight leg length imbalance (about 1/4 inch) and feel just a bit out of balance when I walk. So when I walk am coming down more heavily on left side. I'm using a cane still when out in public though I think won't need it for much longer. Anyone else have such experiences? Any encouraging word or tips?

I was hoping surgery on right hip would give me a pain free interlude eventually....Just worrying that knee will get worse and that I'm just falling apart.

Thanks.

Maggie

Old 09-29-2008, 12:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User
Re: Pain on Non-operated Side after Hip Replacement Surgery

Hi Maggie:

I too had a right hip replacement - December 12, 2007. I don't have any difference in leg length as far as I know, but my left knee and thigh have been painful ever since the operation. I was told that both my hips needed replacing but that the right one was "100times worse" than the left one. I am sort of assuming that it soon will be time to have the left hip replaced but will have to wait and see what the hip surgeon thinks when I have my one year checkup this December 12.

I don't have any pain in glutes, though. Let us know what your surgeon has to say about the left leg pain.

Shirley H.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2008, 11:22 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Some of it could be pain simply from depending on the other leg during your recovery period. I find that my left knee, which is usually fine, becomes very painful (along with the shin and thigh) when I've had right knee surgery and depend on the left knee to do all (or most) of the work.

Old 10-01-2008, 06:43 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Larimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB User

SpineAZ--Do you do anything special to handle pain--or do ice/pain reliever do the trick for you? I'm going to discuss with my doctor on Thursday. As an experiment, I put a 1/4 inch heel lift in my left shoe on for past two days and knee is already feeling better. (Plus I iced it at bedtime).

Thanks.

Maggie

Old 10-01-2008, 01:06 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Usually it's just pain relievers (either pain meds or over the counter meds) and ice or heat (depending on the type of pain). I've also used products like biofreeze if my muscles on the "good leg" seem to be overworked and sore.

Closed Thread