It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2008, 02:09 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Larimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB User
Dealing with Referred Pain from Bad Hip

Had my 8 week visit with my surgeon today and was told I'm making good progress on operated hip (right side). He confirmed that I would definitely need to have left hip replaced in future. Told me I would know when I was ready. I have posted in other threads that I've been having pain in the non-operated side and that I've been worried that I had wrecked my knee in putting off right hip surgery. Surgeon examined and concluded that knee itself is ok but that I'm suffering referred pain from my left (non-operated) hip and that once I have left hip fixed, the knee should feel better.

In meantime, since I'm not ready to have second surgery, we discussed how to handle knee pain. I told him that I had been trying ice and it didn't help. He confirmed that ice wouldn't help referred pain because problem isn't really with the knee. He agreed I could try a heel lift (1/4") in my left shoe since my pelvis was stable and since I do have a slight imbalance--right leg is now 1/4 inch longer than left side--that won't be corrected till left hip is replaced. He didn't have any other suggestions aside from anti-inflammatory.

Am wondering if anyone has any other suggestions to deal with referred knee pain? Any exercises that could help?

Thanks

Maggie

Last edited by Larimergirl; 10-02-2008 at 03:28 PM. Reason: corrected wording

Old 10-02-2008, 08:17 PM   #2
(female)

sandbar3000 HB User
Re: Dealing with Referred Pain from Bad Hip

Hello. I had my right hip dislocate when I was 13 and I had surgery when I was 13 and 14. I'm 33 now and I know that referred pain feeling! The best exersices that I know of are the same ones my dr. gave me for my hips! Laying down, bring your knee to your chest slowly. Do only one leg at a time and do not force leg to go up into chest more than it can. I'm sure you have a limited range of motion just like I do (and my right leg is now about 1/4 inch longer than my left leg so I bare all of my weight on left leg).

The other exercises that I do are sitting down and I just kick my foot out slowly. That gets my knee moving. I stay away from stair masters. A lot of jumping around makes my knees and hips hurt. I used to walk as a teenager and in my 20's. I kept my weight down until I go to the age of 27. I notice that my pain was not as bad when I kept on walking. Once I stopped walking (for a month or more) my right hip and knee would start to hurt.

I never run. I did that a few times and it brought pain to my legs below my knees in the front. If I had access to a pool, I'd also go swimming. I think If I rememeber correctly, my doctor told me to swim since it will be good for my hip and knee.

Do you happen to know if a general MD has delt with women with a hip problem like this and has done paps? I'm not asking if you personally know of a dr. that does.....

I find it very hard to have a pap since my right hip can't do what it used to do before the age of 13. It seems that some of my doctors in the past did not understand why I could not get my feet into those sterups and they never stay inside of them.

Basically, what I'm asking is, what do doctors do, when they come across someone with a physical disability that can not get into a certian position for a certian examination? (Not just including a pap). There has to be an easier way for me to have a pap each year. I'm sure doctors do something for those that have disabilites.
thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2008, 08:33 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Larimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB User
Re: Dealing with Referred Pain from Bad Hip

Hi. Thanks for the ideas. I will try some of them with the non-operated leg. Cant bring operated leg to chest as that would violate one of the key restrictions that you get after hip replacement--do not bend operated hip in excess of 90 degrees. I did notice that walking does help and I know pool walking and swimming would help. Unfortunately our local pool which is open air is closed due to recent hurricane in Texas. Soon it will be chilly and so I'll have to look and see if I can find indoor pool to use.

As for pap smears, that is an issue that I've discussed most recently with my gynecologist. We had a difficult time at my last exam pre surgery and I had my better foot in the stirrup with my worse foot as far out as I could get it. Not sure frankly how we will handle stirrups in future though my doctor said I could have an exam with stirrups once 6 weeks past surgery on hip. My question is whether I will have adequate range of motion. A few days ago I saw a urologist for a problem that arose prior to surgery. She did not use stirrups, but just had a pull out table and she asked me to spread my feet as wide as possible for her exam and the minor procedure she performed. It was ok and left me wondering whether my gynecologist could do an exam using a pull out table (I think her exam table has one along with the stirrups) instead of the stirrups.

Well, that was a long way of saying I don't know.....probably best way to find out is just to call doctors offices and ask how they would handle an exam for someone who has range of motion limitations.

Maggie

Closed Thread