It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2008, 08:36 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Larimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB User
Travel Overseas Post Hip Replacement

I am 8 weeks post surgery and my doctor said I could travel if I had to do so for work, but did say that it would be best if I could wait till I was at least 12 weeks post surgery. I am required to take a trip to Japan in the near future for work and this is a 14 hour flight. I have some discretion in scheduling, but think the longest I will be able to delay it is till January or Feb when I will be about 6 months post surgery. In the meantime, I may have to take some shorter US trips for work. I'm to call the surgeon's office before first flight and depending on how long my flight will depend I guess on whether I have to wear anti-embolism stockings. I won't mind wearing those so long as they arent those horrid hip length stockings I had to wear for first three weeks post surgery. Knee highs were much easier for me to manage.

Anyway, am wondering how others have handled travel? Any tips? In addition to anti-embolism stockings, did you feel you needed to pack any other mobility aids or dressing aids? How long did you wait to travel?

Maggie

Old 10-06-2008, 05:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User
Re: Travel Overseas Post Hip Replacement

Hi Maggie:

My reaction is that the longer you can delay your business trip to Japan, the better. 14 hours on an airplane, not being able to walk around much and even that just a trip down the airplane aisle, would be very hard on your standing up and walking after sitting for a while. It is hard enough just at home, for me, anyway!
As for walking and dressing aids, you would need them away from home just as much as when at home, in my opinion. (All my comments are merely my own personal opinion.) I think that TEDs of some length would be necessary because of hours of sitting on an airplane. Foolish to take a chance without them. Doctor's advice on which TED length.

There was a family funeral during my rehab period this year, and I had to decline going because I could not imagine handling the walking in the huge airports, plane aisles, needs to use the plane bathroom, etc. not to mention having to take along all my assistive equipment. Luckily the family member was familiar with hip replacement so there were no hard feelings. The plane trip would have been between MPLS and Houston.

Shirley H.

Last edited by Silver Swan; 10-06-2008 at 05:06 AM. Reason: change word

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread