It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2008, 02:02 PM   #1
(female)

horseperson HB User
Soft tissue pain 4 weeks out from THR

Hello, I received a total right hip replacement 4 weeks ago which went great, no complications, etc, etc. Was doing great and was even not having to use my cane much up until about 4 days ago. I am 50 y.o., have 7 of my own horses I care for and had started helping out a bit with the barn. Monday after helping with cleaning, turnout noticed more pain in the right hip area than I had been experiencing. It seemed as though I could not weight bear as much as I had and certain twisting motions seemed to hurt bad. Called my surgeon and he did quite a few x-rays and everything looked great with the implant, etc.. He even let me look at them to prove it. He said that I was irritating soft tissue and needed to ease up a bit to let more healing occur (something like take 3,000 steps a day instead of the 10,000 I probably was unaware I was doing).

It makes sense, of course, but now I am so discouraged. I am back to using my cane just about all the time since when I hit that sensitive area, it hurts! I was so looking forward to doing more and more with my horses very soon!

Have any of you fellow board members gone through this and how long did it take till you felt better?

Thank you!!!

Old 10-10-2008, 02:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User
Re: Soft tissue pain 4 weeks out from THR

Dear Horseperson:

I think that you are overdoing! At least it sounds that way to me and your doctor seems to think so, too. Four weeks is, as the British say, "early days" in your recovery. I sure would like to hear what the other "hip girls" here think!

Shirley H.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2008, 07:32 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Larimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB User

Hi. You and I are the same age and I too have been pushing myself a lot. I'm currently almost 10 weeks from surgery. You should dial back a bit--4 weeks sounds a bit soon to be working out with your horses. But, don't be discouraged as you are obviously doing well. My doctor told me that improvement just accelerates from 6-12 weeks. I have noticed that he was right and every day I can do more. Still, when I overdo it, it hurts. Maggie

Old 10-13-2008, 02:15 PM   #4
(female)

michamouse1 HB User

I'm almost 9 weeks out from my left THR and 40 years old. Two weeks ago I kinda set myself back when I fell in the back yard. There was a hole that the dog made and I REALLY twisted and spraned my ankle. I now had a left hip that hurt (that previously didn't) and a right ankle I could barely walk on. I was terrified! My therapist told me that when I fell, the impact shocked the muscles and soft tissue in my hip. I elevated both my legs, iced my hip and my ankle, and stayed off my feet for a few days. I'm now getting the strength back that I had prior to falling.

My point is, take it easy. You only get one chance to heal, and the small setbacks can be a bear to deal with. It was depressing to have to go back to my early p.t. exercises.

michamouse

Old 10-13-2008, 02:27 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User

Dear michamouse:

Thank goodness you didn't BREAK anything when you fell in that hole your dog dug. The ankle sprain and other muscle damage is bad enough. Will those lying down on the bed exercizes help you regain muscle strength - the ones where you press your knee, buttocks, heels, against the bed? They are very effective or at least they were for me, and you can do them without expending too much energy.

The do say that most accidents happen in the home! Take good care of yourself, now.

Shirley H.

Last edited by Silver Swan; 10-13-2008 at 02:29 PM. Reason: correct typos

Old 10-14-2008, 08:16 AM   #6
(female)

michamouse1 HB User

One of the exercises she has me do is "the clam". I STILL struggle with it. Lie on your good side, pillow between your knees, bend your knees. Now, keeping feet touching, try to raise your knee. I can't lift the knee up very well yet. It's those small muscles on the side of the hip that I haven't been able to use in years.

Yes, I am lucky I didn't break anything. I had to side crawl over to the deck to get up and my dog kept trying to lick my face. I NEVER get down on the ground with her so she must have thought this was real fun!

Closed Thread