It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2008, 02:43 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User
6 week post Knee Reconstruction/Tibial Osteotomy

Wel I had my 6 week check up yesterday and everything went really well. My xrays were good. My ROM was way past they OS's expectations, and I past all the tests. So, now we get into the really intensive, strength training PT. OH BOY!!! So crutches and immobilizing brace for 6 to 8 more weeks and hopefully the will go by as fast as the first 6 weeks. The pain from the bone grafts and screw placements has finally started to ease up, so hopefully all the hard stuff is done, and now it's just getting to the learning how to walk stage!!!!

Old 10-21-2008, 07:10 AM   #2
(female)

risnik75 HB User
Re: 6 week post Knee Reconstruction/Tibial Osteotomy

Hi,

I am new to these boards - hate to see all these people in such pain! I just had a tibial osteotomy and patellofemoral realignment on my left knee last Tuesday. Right now, I am working from home and will be going back to work on crutches and with my nifty immobilizer next week.

I have had continuous knee dislocation since age 10. I am 33 and decided enough is enough and went to a doctor to seek help. Help was surgery. The other doctors I went to before always pushed therapy and exercise, but building muscle was not enough to keep my knee from popping out of joint.

I have questions and I need advice on how to be more patient with my body! I am a mother of two small kids, and I am getting very frustrated not being able to care for them and the house. I feel like this is going to be the longest six (now five) weeks ever. I am also frustrated with pain. I get around on my crutches fine, but I get very demoralized when I feel pain. I know I am supposed to, but in my mind, pain means I am not getting better. I just want to get better and get back to my kids.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2008, 07:44 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Larimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB User

Re pain. Are you taking the meds as prescribed? Although you don't want to take meds indefinitely, there is no point in weaning yourself off too soon. You want to control pain so that you will be more active. Once pain gets established, its difficult to control.

Maggie

Old 10-21-2008, 11:24 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

risnik,

If you get out of the brace and off crutches in 6 weeks you are very lucky I'm on a 3 month term. But yes as Larimie girl says you have to take the pain meds as scheduled so that the pain does not get ahead of you, because once it does, it's hard to get it under control. Are you going to PT and doing your PT at home. Are you keeping your knee and op site iced, this will help tons. Other than that, you just need to let others help and have your hubby take care of the kids as much as possible, there's just things you won't be able to do for a while, and if you push, it you'll end up injuring yourself and making it worse.

Closed Thread