It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2008, 05:19 AM   #1
(female)

PilotGal HB User
Question Knee Pain after THR

Hi, I have some questions, please.

The reason I got THR was because of the pain when I walked from my right knee. I tried everything to get rid of the pain.
I had miniscus surgery (3/07), and PT for about a year, on my right knee.
I had supartz shots, cortisone shots.
nothing.

Finally, after a PT did the evaluation of both knee and hip did she surmise that my problem wasn't my knee, but my hip.
This went on for 2 yrs.

Got THR of the right hip (9/5/08).
I'm doing really well.
I take each day at a time, and my healing is coming along.

But new problems are cropping up.
when I use the lifts in my shoes (I have a 3/4 inch difference between legs--from the surgery) I get severe pain on the inside of my left knee.

When I go barefoot around the house, I'm back to my original problem of not being able to put any weight on my right knee.

The PT that I'm working with insists that I wear my lifts to keep me balanced.

1) Did anyone have prior knee problems before THR and has the pain gone away?

On another subject..
I love yoga.
I'm afraid to get down on the floor and start some stretching.
I'm afraid to get back on my little ball that I roll around on from the small of my back.

2) Anyone have any suggestions with getting back into yoga?
3) should I forget the idea of getting back down on the mat?
4) should I be doing all of these exercises in my bed?
5) when did you feel ready to get back to the gym?

Thanks.
Pg

Last edited by PilotGal; 10-14-2008 at 05:24 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2008, 06:57 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Larimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB User
Re: Knee Pain after THR

Hi. I can't answer all your questions but I was released to go back to the gym at the 8 week mark. I'm just starting back this coming friday (week 10) because I had to get a new time slot with my trainer. (she took on another client at my old time slots while I was recuperating). I am allowed to do upper body without any limitations but lower body I am told to observe restrictions (no bending below 90 degrees, no crossing the midline of the body with operated leg) and to start with very low weights with lots of repetition.

I'm not sure about the floor--the surgeon indicated I could work from the floor if I had assistance getting down. He worksout at my gym and knows my trainer so he is gong to talk to her about what I can do, etc. I think I'll be able to figure it out soon, but I'm not quite at the place where I want to try going to the floor unassisted.

As for yoga, I have read of folks taking up yoga and just having to modify poses and/or avoid poses that put them in improper positions for operated leg. I used to go to a local studio where instructors were knowledgeable about physical limitations like hip replacement surgery. I'd recommend calling a local studio and taking a few classes if they have someone who is knowledgeable as an instructor. I wouldn't try yoga poses on my own at first (but that's just me. I'm really kind of a chicken still at 10 weeks out).

Maggie

Old 10-14-2008, 02:19 PM   #3
(male)

markwillis HB User

As far as getting back to the gym, the response from Larimergirl sounds correct. Sounds as if you had a Posterior approach done. This is the issue with Posterior approach to total hip replacement. It's the most common procedure, but it can have limitations especially for someone active. Having alot of the post-op precautions. It sounds like a friend of mine, who had knee/hip problems. For a year or 2 everyone focused on his knee then finally realized it was his hip. After THA replacement his hip was great, but then he barely could walk from the pain in his knee. He ended up having to have knee replacement because of all the worn our cartilage on his knee after walking wierd and putting more pressure in his knee to compensate for his hip. He's doing fine now, not doing yoga but can walk and is pain free.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:37 AM   #4
(female)

scissors HB User

Hi there i had THR nearly 7 months ago and i am doing fine,still some limitations though,my doctor says it takes nearly a year before im completely back to normal,but as for the knee pain about 6 weeks after surgery i started having alot of knee pain as i started being more active like climbing steps,etc but im finding that the last few week i dont have much at all so i think this was from added stress on my knees because of thr give it time,good luck

Closed Thread