It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2008, 07:23 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Larimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB User
Gym Workouts Post Surgery--Any Guidelines? Guidance?

My doctor released me at 8 weeks post surgery to go to the gym. He told me I could do upper body without limit and lower body--light weights, lots of repetition, don't go past midline, don't pivot and turn foot inwards, don't bend past 90 degrees. He also told me to stick to elliptical machine and to use stationary bike, but to avoid treadmill or any other motorized cardio machine. He also very kindly told me to have my trainer call his office and talk to his Physicians Assistant or to talk to him when he is in the gym about specific equipment. (he works out at my gym and knows my trainer).

Tonight (two weeks after being approved for the gym) I finally had my first session with my trainer. We did basically upper body work with a few mild lower body exercises.

My trainer hasn't had her discussion with the dr. or his assistant yet. She said that in the meantime she had been looking for some guidelines for lower body exercise on the net but couldn't find anything. All I find when I look are the basic exercises that they gave me immediately post surgery.

Does anyone have any guidelines about lower body exercises. I just want to get back in shape and get muscles strong. I am not interested in a heavy duty routine at this point.

Can anyone tell me about their routine at the gym--what kind of exercises did you do? Which machines could you do? What did you avoid (assuming leg press machine is a no).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I was really apprehensive tonight but it felt good to be doing some weight bearing exercise in addition to my usual walks.

Thanks.

Maggie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2008, 11:16 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

libloom HB User
Re: Gym Workouts Post Surgery--Any Guidelines? Guidance?

Hi.....

I did the hip abduction machine, bike, and my absolute favorite was the leg press. They gradually added weights to strengthen.

Also lots of basic stretching....using therabands.

However, this was at a physical therapy facility where they are trained specifically to help re-hab joint replacement patients. Did you go to any sort of PT for follow-up post surgery?

Just my opinion, but you may want to try the machines at PT with proper supervision. A trainer is a good thing....but most are not necessarily trained in the proper hip specific exercises.

Good luck,
Linda

Old 10-18-2008, 01:05 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

My surgeon does not prescribe PT for hip patients. He doesn't think its necessary--hence my quandry about specific machines. I asked him several times about PT including my last visit two weeks ago. He gave me the advice quoted in my first post.

Old 10-18-2008, 05:15 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

libloom HB User

Hi again.....

Well, then, that is a quandry.

I would request a script for PT. He may not feel his patients need the therapy (as my second surgeon for my second hip...he also told me to work out at a gym). However, having gone thru a hip replacement before, I knew how helpful my sessions were. I asked for some PT and he wrote a script. It's worth a shot. I'm sure if you told him you felt it would be beneficial to your recovery, he'd oblige.

Linda

Old 10-18-2008, 09:57 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Linda

Just this afternoon, before reading your last post, I emailed the PT who had treated my hip a few years ago. She knows my doctor and also said I should ask for a script for PT. She outlined what she could do to help and it sounds like just what I need--so will start the ball rolling on Monday.

I'm not shy with my doctors, but in this instance, my first thought was that my trainer and I would figure it out. She thought so too as she works with athletes and helps them rehab all the time. But we both found it daunting when actually facing the machines this morning.

Anyway, thanks for your encouragement. I'll let you know what happens.

Maggie

Old 11-01-2008, 09:23 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Update: Had a great session with the PT--she showed me how to get up/down from floor, did an evaluation of my gait and gave me some general recommendations on types of exercise suitable for me. She also just point blank asked me what I was afraid to do and then she explained what I had to be careful about and what I could relax about.

Just for information, here's the kind of exercises she recommended (with caveat that whatever is suitable for me may not be suitable for someone else)

Machines:

1. Leg Press: reclining leg press, align foot and knee with pelvic bone
2. Hamstring curl, prone machine, tuck bottom like in Pilates
3. Hip aduction/abduction: standing cables with attention to maintaining form on the stance leg (i.e. maintain the pelvic bone, knee, foot alignment)
4. Abs on ball is great
5. Roman chair for back is great
6. Seated leg extesnion, leg curls, adduction, abduction machines are all ok just not as functional as #3.
7. Calf standing and seated are fine. Progress to single leg maintaining proper alignment

Mat Exercises

Pilates exercises as long as the arc of motion falls within the limit of the pelvic, knee, foot alignment

Upper body--can do any PNF (twisty) motions so long as start in seated position and block knees in neutral, then progress to standing when you are able to demonstrate improved control.

Maggie

Closed Thread