It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2008, 04:29 PM   #1
(female)

gwenneth63 HB User
how long before one can do things like bending from the waist to pick things up

how long before one can do things like bending from the waist to pick things up from the floor after having a hip replacement

Old 10-26-2008, 10:20 AM   #2
(female)

drlene47 HB User
Re: how long before one can do things like bending from the waist to pick things up

It was about 3 weeks for me but I don't think everyone should try it that early. I was able to bend the knee of the opposite leg, keep the THR leg extended to the back and pick things up. This way I did not violate the 90 degree rule with my hip- just bending with my waist. I had had to do this prior to the surgery for a long time cuz it was uncomfortable for me to bend that joint so I was used to it.
Bending at the waist is not the same as bending between the leg and hip joint as someone so graciously pointed out to me when I was having anxiety before the surgery. I have always been very flexible and was able to violate the 90 degree rule bending forward without discomfort of any sort by 8 to 10 weeks although I don't force it. It is just comfortable to me but still not so comfortable as to reach the THR foot easily and am now about 13 weeks.
Hope this helps,
Darlene

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2008, 06:52 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Larimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB User
Re: how long before one can do things like bending from the waist to pick things up

I took longer than darlene's three weeks to start bending and picking things up but I used the same technique she describes. I still use that technique as my non-operated hip makes bending a little difficult anyway.(will have to get it replaced at some point) I am at 11 weeks and while I bend forward a lot now, I keep the 90 degree rule in mind. I also still use the reacher a lot. Maggie

Old 10-27-2008, 04:30 AM   #4
(female)

PilotGal HB User
Thumbs up Re: how long before one can do things like bending from the waist to pick things up

i'm at 7 weeks now, post surgery.
i still slide my new hip--leg behind me (straight back) to pick anything up off the floor. just a habit.

but, the good news is... this weekend is when i began walking up and down stairs.

i feel like i'm back to normal.
a little stiff, and i wish i could find a heated pool to work out in, but for now, i feel back to normal, new hip, new life.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:35 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Larimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB User

Yeah, isn't it great--the day I felt back to normal, I had walked up and down stairs without thinking about it, gotten in the car and left cane in the car when I went to do errands and I realized in mid errand that I was back to my usual routine. I'm now able to sleep for longer periods of time on my operated hip and of course on non-operated side. I am careful when I switch from side to side and use a big body pillow between legs, but It's just heaven not to have to sleep on my back all the time now.

Maggie

Closed Thread