It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2008, 02:47 PM   #1
(female)

sandbar3000 HB User
Unhappy Dislocated hip when 13, now 33. Scared to get pregnant!

I posted a question concerning my right hip about a month ago (that I dislocated when I was 13) and how painful it is to get a pap each year since the doctors I have had (through the county) do not understand my condition. Nor do they understand how painful my hip is when I try to move it into a position that it will not go into.

Now I'm wondering (since I may want to have a baby) if I can even have children! Since it is very hard for me to have a pap due to my limited range of motion in my right hip would it be suggested to have a c-section? I read on line that a woman needs to have a certian size pelvis to have a normal birth? I am 5 foot 1. I also read that taller women usally do have normal births, but shorter women (like myself) may need to have a c-section.

Has any woman gone through this? I was told from my mother that hip dislocations are more common in boys as compaired to girls. I am going to see an ob/gyn in 3 days. Should I ask him (I am making sure this is a male dr.) if he thinks I have the correct size pelvis to have a normal birth? I know this may seem like a trival question, but I do want to have children sometime before I am 36 and my hip is one big joint that does not like to move. Is there a risk to giving birth for those that have dislocated hips? I'm afraid it will break or something.

Thank you.

Last edited by sandbar3000; 10-27-2008 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Boys as compared to girls...

Old 10-27-2008, 09:04 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
Re: Dislocated hip when 13, now 33. Scared to get pregnant!

Have you seen and been fully evaluated by an orthpedic surgeon? Seems like that would be the place to start.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2008, 11:39 AM   #3
(female)

enchantedfairy HB User

I do not have hip problems but I can tell you that I am 5'2'' and 33 years old I have had four children.All of them natural and even without tearing. My largest baby was 8lbs 4oz and I had no complications. I also had my last baby without my feet in stirups

Old 10-28-2008, 08:47 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

As long as you are up front with your OB/GYN from the beginning you should be fine. And from the beginning I mean I would have a meeting with him/her prior to becoming pregnant and let them know what your plan was. I have a cartiledge disease that does not allow my hip bones to be elastized and spread like a normal woman's does, which is needed for a vaginal delivery, so I knew from the beginning that would have to have c sections, and I just worked with my doc and kept to our plan and things went fine.

Old 11-14-2008, 03:33 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

hrtofluv HB User

I can tell that I have a bone disease similar to Fibrous Dysplasia. I had a rod and screws put in from my hip to my knee to help good bone grow back around it. The rod and screws were removed, but in the process pulled most of the good bone back out.
I talked to my OB and he knew from the start that I cannot put my hips into positions required for vaginal birth. He informed the nurses that were there when I did go into labor that they were not to touch my legs. That I would move then as I could. I did not get an epidural for my first (not by choice). I just had my feet in the stirrups literally in front on me (which didn't move my hips out of place) and he crawled in between and got my son out fine (well he did have to use forceps).
My daughter, which was 2 years later, was the same except for getting the epidural. Which was well worth the shot!!!! But, if you discuss with your OB up front and they are comfortable working with your hip problems, than it should be okay. Just remember that it might not be your hips that cause you to have to get a c-section. Wish you the best!

Reply Reply