It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2008, 12:52 PM   #1
(female)

Luvmypugs HB User
Question 2 weeks post-op and still in a lot of pain....help?

I hope someone can help me. I had knee surgery on 10/9 to remove debris and help my kneecap back into the groove with a lateral release as well. The first week after the surgery my knee actually felt pretty darn good and I was so excited at what was to come. I thought finally after 4 years I might be pain free. Then, about a week ago the pain seemed to be getting worse. Now it is awful. It is front and back of knee, down my calf and my foot is staying cold. The ortho doc has me on hydrocodone 10/325 1 every 6-8 hours which isn't helping hardly at all now. Right after surgery I was on 1 10/325 every 4 hours and it seemed to be fine but then like I said the pain is worse now. I am wearing a metal knee brace and will be for 6 more weeks plus PT which is awful! I have called the ortho doc today but haven't heard back yet. I told them the pain medicine wasn't helping much. Is it normal to still be needing pain meds 2 weeks out? Can anyone give me an idea about their pain meds and how long they were on them? I know it will get better with time......it has to right ?!? Thanks for reading

Last edited by HBMod07; 11-02-2008 at 05:33 AM. Reason: Removed font style, difficult to read

Old 10-28-2008, 08:00 PM   #2
(female)

IWillSurvive HB UserIWillSurvive HB UserIWillSurvive HB User
Re: 2 weeks post-op and still in a lot of pain....help?

I had similar surgery in April '04 with the lateral release. As I recall I was using pain meds for about 4 months and it was a full 6 months before the swelling really went away. I did two of the percocet and got relief for a longer span of time than doing 1 pill every 4 to 6 hours. Keep using ice as often as you can as that will help as well. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2008, 08:40 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Using pain meds 2 weeks out is perfectly normal, I doubt you'll need them 4 months out though. You do need to get into see your doc, especially if your foot is staying cold, as this might be a circulation issue. Has your Physical Therapist said anything about it? Knee surgery is very painful and it just takes a while to get through it, some days you'll be fine and think, "oh yeah, the pain is done, I feel great!" and them bam, it will come back. Keep on with the icing, and the PT, because those will both help way more than the pain meds.

Good luck, and make sure you get ahold of your doc tomorrow, even if you have to call his office every hour.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:13 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

ozfan79 HB Userozfan79 HB Userozfan79 HB User

I had a knee scope and open lateral release on 9/9/08. I am still taking 2-3 Tylenol 3 pills every day. When I saw the ortho doc last week, he said it is normal to have swelling and pain still at 6 weeks post op.

I hope this reassures you a little that your pain is normal. BTW, my pain increased at the two week post op mark as well.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:40 AM   #5
(female)

Luvmypugs HB User

Okay I went to the ortho doc this morning and ooooh what a complete disappointment . This doctor has been nothing but nice to me the other times I saw him. Today he was a complete jerk (and that's being nice)! He came in and said "it hasn't been a month, what's wrong with you", when I tried to tell him that my leg was throbbing and my foot was tingly and cold, he said "well it's cold outside have you tried 2 pairs of socks". The he asked me how the brace was doing and I told him it hurt to wear it and he said "then don't wear it.".....what?, just last week he told my husband and me that I needed to wear it anytime I was up and about. OMG I don't know what changed. Then I asked for a refill on my pain medicine and he refused saying he gave me 40 last week. Okay I thought, as I was crying here this man has cut me open and now doesn't give a crap if I'm suffering. He acted like I was a complete inconvenience and then said well maybe you have a blood clot and sent me to the vascular center for an ultrasound which did not show anything. But what now??? I am suffering and there is no one to help. I don't have a Primary Care right now because of insurance changes. Can you all help me with any suggestions at all? I'm so sad and angry at the same time right now. Thanks in advance

Old 10-29-2008, 10:52 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

It sounds lke maybe he was having an off day?? The only thing you really can do is make another appt. and this time maybe take your husband with you, so that someone else can attest to the pain you are in. And ask him about the contradicting diections he's giving your regarding your care. What pain meds does he have you on?

Old 10-30-2008, 06:49 AM   #7
(female)

Luvmypugs HB User

He has me hydrocodone 10/325 1 every 6-8 hours. I've been having to take 1 1/2 every 5-6 hours to get any relief at all and it isn't much. I told his nurses this and I assume they relayed the message. I didn't get get a chance to tell him because he was so ugly to me I think I was in shock and he wasn't in the room with me for more than 2 minutes. I started crying before I left my room and his nurse and another nurse were asking me "are you okay, what can we do for you" and I just shook my head and said nothing. I thought to myself "I am hurting so bad, how am I going to manage without my medicine, I can't even sleep it hurts so much". I don't think I've ever been treated that badly by a doctor. He did the surgery, he knows what bad shape the knee was in and told my husband and my mother and the recovery could take up to 6 months. So, why the he** am I having to suffer. His nurse said to me that when she tried to get him to sign my prescription yesterday he just said "no, not right now" so now I'm afraid to even call back tomorrow or Monday or whenever and ask for the refill. I don't know what she meant. Did she mean just not today or what? OMG I am so upset over all this, I keep thinking what have I done to deserve this?
Thanks for reading and take care all

Last edited by HBMod07; 11-02-2008 at 05:33 AM.

Closed Thread