It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2008, 01:46 PM   #1
(female)

Susanmom6 HB User
My THR Story at age 34

Hi! I am back and ready to give an update from my LTHR I had on 10/14/08. For those who don't know me here is some info about my situation, I am a 34 yr old mom of 6 kids ranging in age from 5 months-13yrs. I have bilateral CHD and had a shelf osteotomy on my left hip when I was 21. I just had my left hip replaced this month by Dr. Peter Sharkey from the Rothman Institute in Philadelphia.

My Hospital Stay 10/14-10/17: I arrived at the Hospital all ready to go at 5:15 AM, I was not really nervous at that point, it actually didn't even seem real. I was put in a room, given a weird gown to put on, had blood drawn, was asked a bunch of questions, etc. The weird gown was then attached to this blower thing that puffed up the gown with warm air. Strange but kind of comforting. I had no family with me because my husband had to drive back home (1 1/2 hrs away) to get the kids off to school. I only was in that room about an hr before a man came to wheel me to the pre-op area. It was at that point I began to panic and cry. I tried to keep it under control but the tears kept rolling. Everyone there was trying reassure me that it was going to be OK. The OS came over and marked my left hip with marker, I got some kind of "relaxing" drug thru an IV, got my epidural, and was then moved to what I call the "on-deck" circle. As I was moved to the actual OR, I was in panic mode again. The next thing I remember is waking up in recovery. The nurse asked if my stomach hurt because I had been rubbing my belly. I asked her about the "Baby". Apparently, I forgot why I was there. No baby for me this time, LOL! I guess I talked to my husband on the phone (don't remember that). Actually, much of the after surgery stuff is a blur. I do remember freaking out that I couldn't move my legs right after surgery because of the epidural. As the epi wore off, I was only moving my right side. I freaked out more. Eventually, my left side moved as well and I was very calm after that. I was moved to my room and the surgeon came to tell me the surgery went well but I have soft bones. More freaking out on my part. He assured me that it was caught early and with medication/supplements, it shouldn't be a problem. I will have a dexascan in about 2 weeks to really see what is going on with that. I guess after having 6 kids, my bones are drained, so to speak.

I went on to feel nausous, dizzy and vomit for the rest of the afternoon. The PT came to get me up and into this awesome big blue recliner. As I got up I was upset that I felt the operated side was so much longer than the other. I was told this was normal, but from the posts on this and other boards, I knew it might end up being a real problem.

Day2 and Day 3: I felt much better, no more feeling sick. I spent the day in the recliner chair and went to PT 2x a day. It was something I looked forward to. I was amazed at how quickly I was up and walking the halls at PT with the walker. I learned how to do stairs, car transfer, in and out of the bed and shower, etc. Still bothered by the leg length thing though. Being that I am 34, it was a little isolating that I was the youngest hip patient there. I would say the average age was about 65-70. I was in a room filled with patients more than double my age and it was hard at times. The nights I spent in the hospital were the worst. No sleep, to many nurses in and out, KWIM?

Day 4 Going Home: I had 1 PT session on the morning I went home. I was happily surprised that the LLD was feeling a little more normal. I got a shower and dressed myself with the help of the grabber thing the OT gave me. I was discharged in early afternoon and couldn't wait to see my family! My husband picked me up and after a LONG and somewhat painful/awkward drive home, I got to see my kids! The little ones were a little afraid of me at first. I came in pushing this big walker, looking a bit different from when I left them days earlier. They soon got used to my new "look" and warmed up to me.

It has now been 18 days since the surgery. I got my staples removed and started out patient PT this past week. Due to a problem with lack of home care nurses/PT in my area, I did not have any home care come to the house after surgery. I am now walking with crutches and doing very well with them. My PT says my leg length is actually pretty good and I only feel slighted off now. I go up and down stairs and feel better each day. My biggest recovery issue is muscle spasms in my thigh. I never had this before. One night it got so bad that I almost went to the ER. I called the OS the next day and was prescribed Valium. Some days I get sad and have a little cry. I really am starting to miss my life. I am tired of being the "Princess". I am sick of the restrictions and sleeping really stinks. But my kids have been so great thru all this. They help me, make me smile and think my crutches are pretty cool, LOL! I know that I will get back to my life and when I do, I will be the happiest Mom on Earth

Susan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2008, 10:36 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Larimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB User
Re: My THR Story at age 34

Sounds like you're doing great! Bravo! I had the spasms for a short period of time--I think it's just the muscles reaction to the surgery. They should go away in a bit. Every day gets a little better.

walk as much as you can. Since you had your left hip done, you should be able to drive. Generally I'm told those who have left hip done can drive after about 2 weeks assuming they are not taking heavy duty pain meds. I had right hip done and so had to wait about 6 weeks. But, once I could drive, I felt much more normal. It is hard to be forced to adapt to everyone else's schedule and to be waited on, but sounds like your kids are being wonderful helpers.

Take care.

Maggie

Old 11-02-2008, 03:20 PM   #3
(female)

meghan3216 HB User

Hi Susan,

I'd like to know more about your history if that's possible. I just put a post up if you want to find keyword "trochanter" it should pop up... I have bilateral weird hips. Nobody ever gave me a real name for it other than dysplasia. It wasn't discovered until I was 16 when I had the more painful hip reconstructed a bit to make it less painful. Now, 26, and it feels like I can't even walk a block without both of them feeling like they are disintegrating. It is a real downer for me as I am very active. Also, I am active duty and I have been told that replacements or any major surgery is going to medically disqualify me from service, so no more job. And then of course there is the... settle down get married have kids thing...... which I'm not even sure my hips can handle.

<sigh> sorry for such a long entry after referring you to ANOTHER entry... but thought your story sounded like a glimpse into the future for me. Wanted to see if your history matched up too.

Old 11-02-2008, 03:25 PM   #4
(female)

meghan3216 HB User

Well I guess I should have done this first off but I did find your original post so no need to tell the whole story again! My new OS (I moved from one coast to the other) I just know is wanting to replace both my hips, but they only last for 10-20 years right? Uhg.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:14 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Larimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB User

Just a quick note--I had the same reaction you did to the 10-20 years reaction. My primary physician just looked at me and said three things: 1. New developments occur in medicine all the time. You don't know what will happen in 20 years; 2. Your hip will not get better. It will gradually get worse; and, 3) What about your life now? Are you living it fully? Is the pain worth it? (I guess that's more than 3 things really...)

You have a more complicated situation because you have to worry about active duty and your job. I didn't have to worry whether my job would be waiting for me after recovery period. I didn't realize that the military had no option like desk jobs for personnel who needed replacements or other major surgery.

Have you investigated other kinds of treatment--things that could at least temporarily alleviate pain like massage, acupuncture, etc?

Good Luck

Maggie

Closed Thread