It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2008, 03:08 PM   #1
(female)

meghan3216 HB User
Hip replacements at 26?

My OS said to me the other day 'well, those are going to have to get replaced'..... we weren't even meeting about the hips, but since I was going to him for the first time I brought the xrays with me for his entertainment. I'm 26, anyone heard of getting them replaced so early? I've heard they only last 10-20 based on level of activity (and I'm very active only limited by hip pain), so I'd be getting this done several times?? Ergh. Losing hope for living like I want to (and not based on my anatomical limitations).

Old 11-03-2008, 09:45 AM   #2
(female)

oscarsmum HB User
Re: Hip replacements at 26?

Hi

What is the cause of needing them replaced so young?

Have you looked into whether you are a candidate for resurfacing? There is not so much bone removed and when you need a revision it can then be done as a first Total replacement. Also as the resurfacing is metal on metal it lasts for a very long time. You may not be suitable though due to your age and having kids in the future.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2008, 10:08 AM   #3
(female)

Jkbrons HB User

I am partly bionic! I have had both hips replaced. One is so natural I would never know it was artificial. The other one was a botched job and I will be suffering with it forever. I went to Dr. Hansen at Mayo Clinic in Rochester and he did such a good job.AND I didn't even need therapy. The first mess I had therapy three times a week for 18 months!!! It didn't help. So...my advice is to get a second opinion and I would go to Mayo.

Old 11-08-2008, 06:15 AM   #4
(female)

Arwen88 HB User

Ive just turned twenty and had my entire life turned upside down because of my hips. started getting problems ten years ago and NOW they decide to tell me i need help..
My cartilage in both sockets is so damaged that i need to have two open dislocations and then later on in life i need total hip replacements. These surgeries have stopped me from moving to the states with my boyfriend and sometimes life doesnt seem worth it because I CANT DO ANYTHING.

Old 11-08-2008, 09:17 PM   #5
(female)

Jkbrons HB User

You can handle this! first off, get a second opinion. OK? There may be another way to handle this. I could spout a lot of platitudes, "It is always darkest before the dawn."
"Tomorrow will be a better day." "Things happen for a reason." Bunch of bologna!!! Just get another opinion and go with the one you trust. It will be rough for a while, but after you will be glad it is all behind you. Hang in there!!!!

Old 11-08-2008, 09:22 PM   #6
(female)

Jkbrons HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by meghan3216 View Post
My OS said to me the other day 'well, those are going to have to get replaced'..... we weren't even meeting about the hips, but since I was going to him for the first time I brought the xrays with me for his entertainment. I'm 26, anyone heard of getting them replaced so early? I've heard they only last 10-20 based on level of activity (and I'm very active only limited by hip pain), so I'd be getting this done several times?? Ergh. Losing hope for living like I want to (and not based on my anatomical limitations).
Get another opinion. If your hips are not bothering you that much, why would you replace them????

Old 11-09-2008, 01:11 AM   #7
(female)

meghan3216 HB User

Thanks all for the support folks. I have been a bit negligent in checking the post but here goes.

The cause for the problems so young is what was described as displaysia. It it not traditional displaysia that they usually find as a baby, but found at 16. Very enlarged greater trochanters and absence of femoral necks... this causes the greater trochanter to grind against the pelvic bone. The orientation of the joint and socket itself is also off kilter. Also, the ball and sockets are badly mishapen (they look like teardrops or spaceships instead of balls/sockets)... the mechanical connection is very shallow and very physically impactful to the pieces surrounding.

I have never (after two OS and several other docs) received an official dx/name for this, and the two OS were befuddled... although I suspect it is related to several other problems and a syndrome I was born with... which was the reason the hips were overlooked until age 16 (since there were other issues people were following and never caught the hips on film!)... I went to PT for months trying to fix my gait and scoliosis thought to be caused by tight quads but was actually the hip problem. At this point in my life they are very painful and limiting, and there doesn't seem to be anything to do except to either reconstruct of replace them entirely.

If anyone is interested, I did post some xray pics online! :-)

I am not going to just get them replaced because this doc says so... I need to put it off for several years at least due to my occupation, and I plan to get several opinions before taking action. The ceramic on metal replacements look promising though! I cannot wait for a lifelong replacement... I hope it comes soon. Bionic would be awesome and feel so much better! I do lots of activities and wilderness backpacking and I need to pack lots of drugs simply to not be 100% debilitated by stiffness and pain.

Wow this is a long post... I'm rambling.. I'll stop now.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:55 AM   #8
(female)

oscarsmum HB User

As others have said get another opinion.

( removed )

Last edited by moderator2; 11-10-2008 at 05:37 AM. Reason: promoting other groups - please read the posting rules

Old 11-11-2008, 07:52 AM   #9
(male)

pilot1559 HB User

First of all, 26 is not as young as you may think regarding joint replacements. Generally they will not be done prior to age 21 because of the bone growth that continues until the age of 21. My left hip was replaced at 21 and I am now 38. I am getting a revision in 2 weeks because it is falling apart. The biggest issue or hurdle to overcome is the fear of the procedure. I'm not saying that going through it is easy, but just think abouut the pain you have experienced over the years and the quality of life that you have lost due to the pain and problems that are associated with your hips. I had slipped capital femoral epiphysis of the left hip which is similar to what you have described. The operation that was to correct it caused severe arthritis in the hip joint that the ball was square by the time the total replacement was performed. I was scared to death about getting it done, and it took about 4 weeks for me to start living life normally. Now it's time to go through it again and although I'm not looking forward to the 3 or 4 days of severe post op pain, I am looking forward to enjoying the next 20 years or so of being much more pain free than I am now. I want to part ways with the cane and play with my kids and get out and be active again. Keep your chin up and trust that the after will be much better than the before, get ready to start living again. It takes work, but trust me it's worth it.

Reply Reply