It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2008, 09:14 PM   #1
(female)

reyez HB User
Worried about Knee Arthroscopy..

I have been going to the ortho surgeon for my knee.. He said it is misalignment of the knee cap.. He said he wants to do arthroscopy surgery (scheduled for Nov 17) to possibly do a lateral release.. I noticed on the papers I got today that it says I have Misalignment with synovitis & Chondromalacia. I am really worried about the surgery.. I am worried about the anesthesia.. and about what I might feel and the recovery.. I wasnt really worried until after my appt today.. My doc said I would be putting weight on my leg the same day.. no brace.. can go back to work in a few days ( I have a desk job).. I am just kinda worried.. Anyone have any ideas on how to calm myself down? Have you had this surgery? What is it like? What did you experience? Thanks.

Old 11-07-2008, 02:02 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

ozfan79 HB Userozfan79 HB Userozfan79 HB User
Re: Worried about Knee Arthroscopy..

I had the arthroscopy with an open lateral release 2 months ago. I was weight bearing the day of the surgery, but I had an immobilizer on for the first two weeks. Even two months later, I am still wearing a brace. The kneecap is still unstable if I don't wear the brace, but it is tracking in its groove. I have developed bursitis in the knee over the last two weeks. Other than that, things weren't too bad. I am still in some pain, but my doctor said that is normal. The actual surgery wasn't bad at all.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2008, 05:33 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Killereyze,

Everything you said sounds perfectly normal, and I've had two of these, except the no brace. You were probably thrown a lot of information today and may have heard your doc wrong on that one. After a Lateral Release one always has to wear an immobizer. I would call your doctor and recheck that information.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:01 PM   #4
(female)

reyez HB User

I thought it was kind of wierd that he made it seem like no brace, no crutches, or anything.. seems kinda wierd.. I think I will still need crutches just because I will be afraid to put that much weight on my knee right away because I am very active. I guess what I am afraid of the most is that I will feel part of the surgery or wake up during the surgery.. I know worrying for nothing but still worried.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:56 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Okay I really think you need to call him first thing in the morning and get some more info. I just can't believe that he said no crutches. Maybe you got into information overload and just didn't hear all of it. There is no way in the world that you would be able to walk after this surgery.....you'll be on crutches for a few weeks.

Old 11-10-2008, 04:07 PM   #6
(male)

gib HB User

I don't think he'll demand crutch free right after surgery. My ortho gave me "weight bearing" status right after surgery but I spent another week or so on crutches, then some more time with a cane. It will be kind of a mental thing, you'll need some time for your mind to overcome the fact that you just had surgery on your knee, some time for you to test your knee and get the feel how much it hurts as you put more and more weight on it.

The surgery will probably be very quick, I was on the OR table for 23 minutes. There's no way you'll wake up during surgery, actually I was ****** off when they woke me up in the recovery room it was like "Hey, I was sleeping, what the h*ll???" It was quite a restful sleep. I guess you can look forward to looking back how easy it was...good luck!

Reply Reply