It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2008, 07:56 PM   #1
(female)

blondie64 HB User
Knee Swelling with Fluid after Lateral Release

I had arthroscopy on October 24th (2 weeks today) for a Left knee lateral release and meniscal tear/ligaments repaired. My left knee swelled with fluid that I had drained by the ortho doc on Thursday-11/06. He told me to call him back on 11/11/08 and report whether or not my knee swells back up and he'll drain again and inject hydrocortisone if it does.
My knee looked great when I left the office on 11/06 when he drained it. Now it is 11/07 (one day later) and my knee hurts like h*ll and is swollen again. Anyone else have problems with swelling after having your knee drained or retaining fluid after lateral realease. It hurts more now than after the initial surgery. Maybe I am just jumping the gun on the healing process or My coworker making me feel guilty on returning to work sooner than I should be.
Anyone else who had this procedure done that can add some input would be of great comfort to me. Thanks.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:07 PM   #2
(male)

CetoHale HB User
Re: Knee Swelling with Fluid after Lateral Release

I hear ya too

Last edited by CetoHale; 08-03-2010 at 01:08 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2011, 07:11 AM   #3
(female)

mangossa HB User

I had a lateral release done oct 2/2010 and am regretting it. I was instructed that I would need 12 weeks off or my surgeon wasn't going to do it. I will say at the beginning my PT and Surgeon were very impressed on who I was doing. When I seen my surgeon a week after the release he said he never seen a patient with little to no swelling. My PT was impressed and how much movement I had and how much I could lift. I went to work after 12 weeks seemed ok, but still had difficulty walking upstairs and downstairs, but was told it was normal. Now, being Feb 3/11 I am still struggling going up with pain and my surgeon can't understand what is going on.
I seen him last month and he said normally at this stage he would pass me on to my family doctor because there is nothing more he can do , but he feels sorry for my situation and wants to continue to see me every 3 months. He says he tries to research if there is anything new he can do, but he said he has done this procedure so many times and has never seen a case like this. He says he stands behind his work, but if I wanted a second opinion he would refer me to anyone in any city. I was given an 85% full recover. He said he didn't see me falling in the 10% where it gets slightly better or the 5% where it got worse.
I am on celebrex for pain and imflammation as well as 600mg of ibripro adn I am now taking 1000mg 3x aday glucosamine chondroitin, but it takes a month to see a difference. So far it I am on a week so I can't give you an honest review.
I am frustated and fell into a depression where my family doctor wanted to put me on pills for it , but I never got it filled.
I am now 40 and don't want to live with this. Where ever I go I panic when I see stairs. I go to a hockey game and stay int he seats during intermissions because it is embarassing when you lose your balance and fall which happened. I love my summers at my trailer and there is a beautiful restuarant we go to over looking the marina, but there are 20 stairs to get up to the deck to eat. I try to hold back tears of frustration when trying to get up slowly. People joke with me because our family lives along time and I think to myself I do want to do this for the rest of my life. I am to young for this.
I will be seeing my PT to see if he can help me or give me answers. I wish I researched the procedure more, but the orthopedic surgeon is one of the best that I had. Yes things happens and not always for the best. I am hoping the glucosamine chondroitin works. If you seen me walk you would never know I had the procedure, it's when I use stairs. I just am not strong enough to put full pressure on it with out feeling shaky.
I hope things work out for the best. Keep asking questions and continue with physhio.

Old 10-21-2012, 03:06 PM   #4
(male)

Frank4338 HB User

I did a lateral release on my right knee and it wheeling like a balloon but dr drain me twice but since the surgery it' been one month 9/17/2012 and today is 10/20/2012 the swelling still there but a lot better it is going down every week guys advise to every one don't go back to your work if you did knee surgery even if it is just scar tissue I hade scare tissue around my ACL last April did the surgery after two weeks went back to school my Graf that goes on top my knee cap force the knee cap to go out it's place so my knee cap start not to track right on the tibia bone and the fumer guys don' t risk it stay home as long it takes better than you suffer the rest of your life this is my second surgery be coz I was stupid I'm still recovering but very sloe dr put me on churches for three weeks this time instead three days just he want to sure that knee dose not loose track is your Graf feels wired it's ok believe that just part of the recovering just don't stand on for Long time or walk at least 2 months just to in the safe side . Knee injury could cost your life and will be able to do your things that you like. Pay attention and work hard to your thigh muscle because that is the only way to get that Graf strong and be able to carry your wight and things you do good luck . And keep me post it

Reply Reply