It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2008, 06:45 AM   #1
(male)

saintneelu HB User
Knee replacement at age 83: Should I go for it?

The doctors have recommended bilateral knee replacement after a thorough evaluation.I have been suffering from osteoarthiritis for years and since one year am unable to play golf regularly.
Otherwise despite the pain I can manage my daily routine and car and scooter driving to a limited extent.
1.Now I feel that steadiness and stability is reducing.I wonder if this age is okay for surgery?
2. Also our flat is on two floors,2nd and third,wonder if I will be able to handle stairs regularly?
3.Will I need special potty seat or will the regular seat suffice?
4.How soon will I be able to drive?
5.Will I be able to play golf?
6. How regularly does one need physiotherapy?
My wife worries that if anything goes wrong I may be confined to bed for a long time. As she is also a heart patient and general weakness of old age, will we be able to handle the stress.?
Do you recommend I should go for it?The tentative date is 24th Nov 2008 but I can always cancel it.

Old 11-09-2008, 05:01 PM   #2
(female)

lthomas HB User
Re: Knee replacement at age 83: Should I go for it?

If your OS says "yes" go for it. If you are hesitant ask for a second opinion. TKA is totally about restoring quality of life.

1.Now I feel that steadiness and stability is reducing.I wonder if this age is okay for surgery?
if OS says yes

2. Also our flat is on two floors,2nd and third,wonder if I will be able to handle stairs regularly?
I live in a split level house and go up and down stairs without problems. The knee is a little tight in the morning but after an hour it is fine.

You will need an elevated toilet seat for a while. I liked it so much I bought a toilet that is higher than the normal (ADA or comfort height is what they are called in the US)

Depends on your pain management. I didn't drive until I stopped taking pain meds regularly. That was at about 3 weeks.

I can do anything I want except ski downhill and play singles tennis.

Again..it differs for people. I needed 9 visits over a 3 weeks period of time...but this differs greatly.

Problems can happen but not usually major problems.

Gymnastics is fun at 18 but not at 40.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2008, 08:47 PM   #3
(male)

saintneelu HB User
Re: Knee replacement at age 83: Should I go for it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lthomas View Post
If your OS says "yes" go for it. If you are hesitant ask for a second opinion. TKA is totally about restoring quality of life.

if OS says yes

I live in a split level house and go up and down stairs without problems. The knee is a little tight in the morning but after an hour it is fine.

You will need an elevated toilet seat for a while. I liked it so much I bought a toilet that is higher than the normal (ADA or comfort height is what they are called in the US)

Depends on your pain management. I didn't drive until I stopped taking pain meds regularly. That was at about 3 weeks.

I can do anything I want except ski downhill and play singles tennis.

Again..it differs for people. I needed 9 visits over a 3 weeks period of time...but this differs greatly.

Problems can happen but not usually major problems.
Thanks, that was really helpful. But I am still keen on knowing if others my age have had bilateral knee replacement and what was their experience.

Reply Reply