It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2008, 08:36 AM   #1
(female)

WindieOne HB User
Question 1st Week After THR

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum.

I am 51, female, had a hip scope done Oct '07, and since Mar'08 my doc has reccommended THR. I've been putting it off because, frankly, I'm afraid I won't be able to get on my bike (how do you get your leg over the cross-bar?), run, ski, etc. I've finally talked myself into the surgery so now I'm wondering what are the things people have needed the most help with in the first weeks out of the hospital? I live by myself so am wondering if I can handle it by myself...

Thanks for any input.

Old 11-08-2008, 05:38 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Larimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB User
Re: 1st Week After THR

Hi. IWe;re about the same age. I live by myself and had to have help the first three weeks post surgery and then was fine. Read the sticky's at the top of the page--titled 6 months after hip surgery. I also posted a thread about living alone and got lots of good advice about how to prepare, what to expect. I'm 13 weeks out and really glad I did it. I'm just starting to get back to the gym and there are only a few things I can't do yet. Riding a regular bike is one of them, but I'm told will eventually be able to do it. Dr. recommends stationery bike for me at present. Am short on time, or would give longer answer. Hang in there, check this site, you'll find lots of information.

Maggie

Last edited by Larimergirl; 11-08-2008 at 05:40 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2008, 02:40 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB User
Smile Re: 1st Week After THR

Hi Windi,
I am older then you and had my hip replaced several months ago. I have to have the other one done now just waiting on insurance changes.
I know many who have done it alone and are in their 60's, it depends on you sometimes.
If you have a raised potty chair in place when you get home that will help. I did need help with getting inthe tub to take a shower as no stall. Cooking, have everyone cook for you if they ask what they can do. Or buy lots of chicken and throw it in the crock pot so you aren't standing so long. That or tv dinners. You can drive for several weeks so get all you need ahead of time in the way of food.
I was lucky with mine, no problems no pain hardly but I hurt so bad before I went in that is probably why. I really haven't done much cause my other hip is very bad too but having that pain gone is wonderful....I don't have it tht bad yet in my left hip cause I try to stay off it.
Good luck to you....you will do just fine.

Old 11-11-2008, 03:12 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User

Hi Windie One:

Are you using a boy's bike, since you mention the crossbar? Why not use a girl's bike temporarily till you can manage the crossbar? I haven't ridden a bike for years, but always had the girl's bike. My daughter seemed to prefer a boy's bike for some reason and apparently you do too! Just a thought - I don't mean to sound sarcastic.

Shirley H.

Old 11-13-2008, 03:35 PM   #5
(female)

WindieOne HB User

Thanks everyone for your replys. Because of my hip-scope last year, I already have a raised seat for my "throne" (glad I didn't throw it away). Stocking up on food is a good idea, I hadn't thought about that. Speaking of "stocking" up, how do you put socks on? As for the bicycle. I do, in fact, ride a girl's trail bike. I probably need shorter wheels...

Old 11-13-2008, 04:24 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User

Hi WindieOne:

Get yourself a sock donner and a dressing stick for socks. You can sit on the edge of the bed and lower the sock gadget to the floor, after putting the sock on it. It has a long cord on each side for lowering to the floor, and raising then, after putting your foot into the plastic half tube. The dressing stick has two hooks on one end and one of the hooks is great for pushing off your sock. You can see pictures of the sock donner and the dressing stick on the Internet. On your search engine, type in "dressing aids" and you will find several companies that sell these. You can also get them at a good local medical supply store. I still use all my dressing aids and wouldn't give them up for anything! They save time and energy and I am not 100% comfortable yet bending way down to the floor.
Get yourself a long handled metal shoe horn, too! They are wonderful.
If you don't have a reacher yet, get one of those. They are great energy savers. When I push off my sock, I use the reacher to pick the sock up off the floor. Also use the reacher to pick up each shoe. I have elastic shoe laces for my sneakers and other laced up shoes. They are wonderful too. All these dressing aids can be purchased on the Internet.

Shirley H.

Old 11-14-2008, 04:09 AM   #7
(female)

WindieOne HB User

Thanks Shirley for the info - I've never heard of a sock donner but I'll certainly hunt one down here in town; the donner and the shoe horn! I already have a reacher from the last surgery so I'm in good shape there

Gini

Old 11-14-2008, 04:40 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi again WindieOne:

The dressing stick is definitely a need. One of the padded hooks on the end I use to push off my sock and it can also push off those dratted TEDs! It is just a long dowel with two hooks on one end and one on the other. My reacher can also push off my socks but the dressing stick hook is easier and more reliable for pushing. The cost is low. At first, these dressing aids are clumsy, but with practise one can zip right through dressing. I wouldn't give mine up for anything, even now.

Shirley H.

Old 11-14-2008, 04:55 PM   #9
(female)

WindieOne HB User

Shirley, what are the TEDs? I've seen tham mentioned in different posts and am thinking maybe drain tubes?

Gini

Old 11-14-2008, 08:33 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Larimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB User

Hi. they are anti-embolism stockings that are worn after surgery. My doctor wanted me to wear them for 8 weeks but other people only had to wear them for a few weeks. TEDS i think is the brand name.

Maggie

Old 11-15-2008, 01:11 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

liverpool sue HB User

TED stockings are so called because of the initial letters of:
Thrombo Embolus Detergent (i think that's a typo and should be Deterrent) - or so it says when i looked it up.

sue

Old 11-15-2008, 03:28 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by liverpool sue View Post
TED stockings are so called because of the initial letters of:
Thrombo Embolus Detergent (i think that's a typo and should be Deterrent) - or so it says when i looked it up.

sue
Sue:

Thank you so much for this explanation of those letters. I have often wondered where the name came from but was too lazy to look it up. I appreciate your research.

Shirley H.

Old 11-15-2008, 03:48 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi WindieOne:

The sock donner can also be used very easily to put on the elastic stockings. This is a toughy without using the sock gadget. And the dressing stick is also great for pushing the TEDS off. I didn't have to wear the TEDs very long after surgery, so was lucky in that. They are bear cats to put on and take off without the sock donner. Surgeons differ in their requirements for how long to wear elastic stockings. After the hip surgery I was given shots every day for helping to avoid blood clots. They were a form of Heparin and I was taught to give them to myself. Very easy. I think I had them for about two weeks and by then was walking around enough to not need them anymore, The more walking the better, after hip replacement. Slightly uncomfortable walking, the first few days, but every day the discomfort was less.

Shirley H.

Old 11-15-2008, 05:16 AM   #14
(female)

WindieOne HB User

Thanks ladies for the info. I remember having TEDs after my hip scope last year - just didn't know what they were called...

Closed Thread