It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2008, 05:56 AM   #1
(female)

llindqu295 HB User
knee replacement doctor

How can I find the best knee replacement surgeon?
I have slightly bow legs.

Old 11-11-2008, 06:18 AM   #2
(female)

lthomas HB User
Talking Re: knee replacement doctor

I would start with my PCP. My PCP had only one recommendation and I did not want to use the hospital where he was on staff, so I had to find my own. These are some things I did:
Ask others that have had TKA
Check at the local university and talked with the athletic trainer about surgeons the players used (they won't have had TKA but I did find that some of the coaches had TKA)
I checked the group practice of those surgeons
Find fellowship trained orthopedic surgeons
Check out the hospitals (actually this was the deciding factor for me)
it was important to me that they had a joint replacement center
great hospital rating, low staph rate, low turnover in employment, annual # of TKA
Check different organizations, including the Knee Society for members
I looked at the different joint manufacturers web sites and found seminars that were being held.
I went to several meeting. I got a lot of ideas from the meeting

I matched my list and made a couple of appointments to check them out. Actually after everything I only had 3-4 OS I checked. I had a ton of questions for the surgeons. I just wanted to eliminate as much anxiety as I could. The one I finally chose later told me he had never been asked so many questions.

I really thought about choosing a surgeon like buying a house. I tried to look at everything. I figure that joint replacement definitely needed more consideration than anything else I would ever invest.

Almost everyone that has TKA has either bowed knees or knocked knees. When you walk for them that is what they are looking at...not how you limp but if you have bowed or knocked knee. The surgery will fix that.
I am totally satisfied with my 2 year old TKA.

I have hip issues and I have chosen another surgeon for my hip..new OS much more qualified in hips and revisions. I would have probably chosen his group for my TKA if I found it before my TKA. The group just didn't pop up, so even doing your homework you will find more than one OS you are comfortable with.

Gymnastics is fun at 18 but not at 40.

Last edited by lthomas; 11-11-2008 at 06:21 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply