It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2008, 04:11 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User
For the ladies: GYN exam after hip replacement

Hi Girls:

Today I had my first pelvic exam since I had my right hip replaced on December 12, 2007. I had clearance from my hip surgeon to have a pelvic months ago, but put off going because I didn't feel quite ready for this.

Everything went just fine. Climbing up on that table was easy for my replaced hip, but my other leg was a problem. (I think that hip might have to be replaced one of these days.)

Getting the right leg in the stirrups was no problem - the right hip is the replaced one. The other leg was a little creaky. By the way, I just turned 79 in August.

My GYN, who is a woman, had no objection to my having the exam.

Just thought you would like to hear from a woman who has gone through this after a hip replacement, that everything went well.

Shirley H.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:57 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Larimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB User
Re: For the ladies: GYN exam after hip replacement

Great! You are awesome Shirley! I had the same experience with a recent exam--operated leg ok, but left leg had difficulty--no range of motion. Also found an answer to my issues of recurrent UTIs and abdominal discomfort that popped up just before surgery. Urologist found no problem with my system but said two things-I need to drink more water to avoid dehydration (and UTIs) and also she increased my dosage of Estrace cream as discomfort might be caused by decreased estrogen (am post menopausal already). Also am avoiding caffeine, chocolate, citrus and other things that could irritate bladder. Tried it today--avoided caffeine and feel much better.

Maggie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2008, 04:16 AM   #3
(female)

WindieOne HB User

While we're on this thread, how do we handle intimate relations with a new hip?

Gini

Old 11-14-2008, 04:33 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larimergirl View Post
Great! You are awesome Shirley! I had the same experience with a recent exam--operated leg ok, but left leg had difficulty--no range of motion. Also found an answer to my issues of recurrent UTIs and abdominal discomfort that popped up just before surgery. Urologist found no problem with my system but said two things-I need to drink more water to avoid dehydration (and UTIs) and also she increased my dosage of Estrace cream as discomfort might be caused by decreased estrogen (am post menopausal already). Also am avoiding caffeine, chocolate, citrus and other things that could irritate bladder. Tried it today--avoided caffeine and feel much better.

Maggie

Hi Maggie:

We seem to have a lot of similar conditions, including the right hip replacement and left one seeming to act up now.

The urologist also advised me to cut down on coffee and I now only have one cup of instant each morning instead of my formerly usual two, and then more later in the day. It does make a difference. He also said avoid orange juice. Didn't mention chocolate which contains caffeine, but I don't eat much of that anyway - but of course I would like to indulge. I also don't drink enough water and am tryng to do better that way. It all helps.

It is so great to read your postings and remember how nervous you were about hip replacement when you started in here. You are now a Veteran!

Shirley H.

Old 11-14-2008, 08:00 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

liverpool sue HB User

gini, i think the answer to your question is be inventive!!! i've found it adds a whole new dimension
sue

Old 11-14-2008, 08:41 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by liverpool sue View Post
gini, i think the answer to your question is be inventive!!! i've found it adds a whole new dimension
sue
Hi Sue:

Shirley H.

Old 11-14-2008, 08:49 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

liverpool sue HB User

well, shirley, i always like to learn new skills

sue

Old 11-14-2008, 02:05 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Larimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB User

Y'all crack me up.

Old 11-14-2008, 02:27 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

liverpool sue HB User

on a more serious note, i just noticed on another thread that some ladies are worried about, and have had problems in the past, with stirrups for the pap test. here in england, as far as i am aware, we don't use stirrups or any other contraption for the pap test, certainly it's not something i've ever come across. the doctor only needs a little 'access' to do the test (without going into graphic detail) so maybe that's something to mention to your doctor when you need to have the test.

sue

Old 11-15-2008, 03:34 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sue:

Again, thanks. I have noticed, in reading boards, that some things are done differently by the medical profession in the UK. I have often wondered if the internals could be done without the stirrups. I suspect I am not the only woman who dreads these devices. Guess they make access easier for the MD.

Shirley H.

Last edited by mod-anon; 11-15-2008 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Please use the Quick Reply button instead of Quote Reply.

Old 11-15-2008, 07:31 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

liverpool sue HB User

you're welcome shirley. unless you american ladies are built differently to us british ladies then i don't actually believe it does make access better for the doctor, i think it's more about the protocols which are in place in our different countries for differing medical procedures/practices. the only time i ever had to be put into stirrups was after the birth of my first baby when i'd had an episiotomy and a junior doctor took about an hour to do the necessary - not something to be recommended!!
you were up early this morning weren't you?

sue

Old 11-15-2008, 09:08 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Sue:

Up early every morning and I like to get on the Internet while there isn't that much cyber traffic.

Shirley H.

Last edited by mod-anon; 11-15-2008 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Please use the Quick Reply button instead of Quote Reply.

Closed Thread