It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2008, 04:24 PM   #1
(female)

Susanmom6 HB User
Depression has set in - 4 weeks post THR

Hi Everyone, I am now 4 weeks and 2 days post THR and I have had a miserable week. I had been feeling so positive about my recovery up until this week. Today. I have been crying all day (even at PT) and this afternoon my sadness turned to intense anger. I am sick of being here dealing with this recovery. I feel defeated, isolated and alone. My Mom was my "Caretaker" for my kids today and I was so miserable to her that she threatened to get up and leave. It doesn't help that I have my period and that always makes things a million times worse for me.

My recovery is actually going well, acording to my PT. I will see my OS tommorrow. Here is my progress at the 4 week mark:

I am only taking Tylenol before PT. I have been off all other drugs since 2 1/2 weeks post-op. I am still taking an aspirin 2x a day. Last week at PT, I was told I should try to ditch the cane and crutch while at home. They had me walking without it at therapy and I was doing very well. I definately have a little waddle though. So, for the past week I have been mostly walking on my own in the house until today. I have been having pain that my PT thinks is muscle pain/tightness. It is more at the top of my hip and down my butt area. I started back on one crutch today because it has really bothered me for a couple days now. There was a new PTA at therapy today who was actually amazed that I was only 4 weeks post-op. I always feel better at PT. Today I walked on the treadmill for 15 minutes. I could have done more but someone else was waiting to use it.

I guess I should be happy about my progress but instead I feel so sad. I look at how my kids are running to my Mom instead of me for help. I think that everyone is getting a little tired of doing pretty much everything around the house. My OS usually lifts the restrictions after 6 weeks. I don't even know how to ease back into life once that happens. My time of total help will end after Thanksgiving. I will be on my own caring for the kids after that. My Mom thinks she may be able to add another week, so that will be great if she can. I am thankful to have had this much help so far, it was not easy schedualing 24/7 care for my kids, especially for my 6 month old.

I feel like I will be this way forever. Like I will never get better. Sometimes I wish I never had this surgery. Then my right hip acts up and I quickly remember why I did have surgery on my left.

I know some of you felt this way at some point. This is common right? I hope this doesn't last very long. I need that Sunshine back in my life.

Very Sad in PA,

Susan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2008, 04:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User
Re: Depression has set in - 4 weeks post THR

Oh, my dear Susan:

I sure hope your Mother can stay for an extra week.

I guess if I were you, and of course I am not, I would use a walking aid at home, crutch or whatever, when you are tired and feel the need. I sure don't see the sense in trying to be some kind of hero and doing without the support when you feel you need it. Have you had a walker at all? I came to just love my walker - they give you such even support and I could really zip around on that. It has wheels and I still use it in the middle of the night for safety, since I have a kitty that I don't want to stumble over.

Susan, I think you are expecting too much of yourself. A hip replacement is major surgery and any surgery requires whatever time it requires for each person.

I am a Grandma now, and only had one child. If I had had six, I would be crying too, even without a hip replacement! Kids are hard work!

So please, give yourself some slack. Don't be so hard on yourself. Take all the help that is offered. Hugs to you, dear.

Shirley H.

Last edited by Silver Swan; 11-13-2008 at 04:54 PM. Reason: typo

Old 11-13-2008, 09:07 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Larimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB User

Susan: You sound pretty normal to me. I agree with Shirley--use the cane or whatever at home. You need to just take it easy and cry if you feel sad (When I felt blue, I took a shower and got teary eyed there). I worried too that my family was getting tired of helping me, but really I found out later that the only things everyone really hated was changing my dressing the first two weeks and after that helping me with those darned TED hose. I hated those with a passion. Other than that, they really didn't mind.

Are you getting out of the house at all? My sister in law loaded me up in the car and we went to the mall to walk around one day. Another day we went walking in a nearby nature preserve. It helped to have a change of scenery.

Sounds like you are really doing great. Give youself a break and just take one day at a time.

Maggie

Old 11-14-2008, 07:55 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

liverpool sue HB User

susan, i was still having periods when i had my hips done, and i can tell you i had a couple of very tearful episodes which coincided with my darned hormones!! and i wasn't having to cope with looking after children too. you know, it will get better but it does take time. accept any and all help that is offered by anyone, don't feel a nuisance because i'm sure you're not. i'm sure you wouldn't mind helping someone out would you? and that's the way most people are too. it's something we mums have to learn, how to accept help without feeling we're a nuisance. you'll probably feel a lot better once your period is over - until the next one!!! good luck.
another susan x

Old 07-23-2010, 05:28 PM   #5
(female)

alohadebk HB User

Wow, 6 kids & you were brave enough to do THR? My hats off to you! That being said, I agree with the others who replied, you are doing great! Give yourself credit for every little thing you do & remember how hard that first week post-op was. I got my period the day I came home from the hospital, just 10 days after having one! I was very weepy & cried a lot. With a 6 month old I'm sure your hormones are still a bit outta whack. You were smart enough to get a caregiver 24/7 for your family, so take advantage of the help & focus on yourself & your recovery. Once Grandma is gone they will be back to running to you for everything & all the other household tasks will be eagerly awaiting. Cry when you're sad & need to, but revel in all that you have. Life will get back to normal. I truly hope you feel better soon & that your recovery will continue to progress. I too have been blue this week & feeling bad about not being to do more, having to take more time off work than I thought I'd need & my recovery. Hearing that others are having similar situations is reassuring. I am not alone nor crazy!

Good luck & best wishes!

Debbie

The following user gives a hug of support to alohadebk:
lwagner9 (04-23-2011)
Closed Thread