It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2008, 10:35 PM   #1
(female)

Rosie2008 HB User
Pending Hip Replacement

Hello there!

I have recently been diagnosed with the need to have a hip replacement.
I would like to hear from someone in the same situation regarding occuring symptoms pre-operation. I am 54 years old and danced my whole life.

Thankyou,
Rosie

Old 11-14-2008, 07:37 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Larimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB User
Re: Pending Hip Replacement

There are lots of peope here that have had THR in your age range and they will share stores. But one of the fastest ways to get started with information is to read the "stickies" at the top of the page. They contain lots of information about the procedure, recovery etc. Also if you use the search button, and type in search query you will get lots of information to get you started.

Good Luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2008, 11:56 AM   #3
(male)

pilot1559 HB User

Hi Rosie,
I was 21 when I had my hip replaced. I had dreams of being a fighter pilot when I graduated high school, however it became apparent long before then it wouldn't happen. I was diagnosed with Slipped Capital Femoral Epiphysis (SCFE) at age 15 and the doctor who did the corrective surgery was well beyond retirement age. He performed a bone graft that did not take and I ended up with severe arthritis in my left hip. Although I have walked with a bit of a limp since the THR, I have never let it get in my way of doing the things I wanted to do (apart from a military career). I was riding horses within a year. I was working on cars, welding and crawling around on my hands and knees performing mechanical repairs on industrial equipment. I even received my pilot's license a few years ago. I have walked miles and ridden bicycles for hours. (prior to the last 6 months)The only issue that I have encountered have been a bit of stiffness every now over the past 5 years or so and then corrected with some ibuprofen.
One of the greatest things I ever had someone say to me was when I was running a manufacturing facility a few years ago. The plant was being closed down and we were being relocated to different places. One of my employees told me that it was obvious that I had a disability, but never let it slow me down and I never used it as an excuse.
If it is any indication, I never, ever once called out of work because my hip kept me from doing my job, and I am on my feet all day.
Now it has been 18 years, and my hip has unfortunately worn out and I will be going in Tuesday (11/25) for a total revision. I walked the entire perimeter of Arlington National Cemetery back in September, which I thing was my downfall.
The bottom line is, is that it is not as bad as what you may think it will be (or shouldn't be) obviously every person has their own set of problems when it comes to going through this type of surgery. Most people I hear from are angry at themselves for not getting it done sooner.
I'm pretty sure you'll be dancing in no time.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:06 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

keil HB Userkeil HB Userkeil HB Userkeil HB User

hi Rosie,
I had THR at the age of 55, ostio authuris... my wife and I enjoy dancing (country western & line dancing) anf I have gone bace to dancing but it was a long time till I was able to!
As long as you follow the doctors guidelines and are serious with the physical therapy rehab you will be back to yourself!
Just remember the rehab is the most important part of the THR.
This is what is did while in the hospital / P.T. and anywhere else....
Anyone that asked me "how are you doing or what do you want?"
My answer was the same... "I want my life back"!
and I got it!!!!!!!
Good luck
Ken

Old 11-21-2008, 02:34 AM   #5
(female)

Rosie2008 HB User

hi keil, great to hear you and your wife love line dancing, and have gone back to it. it all sounds positive i will be doing all the things the doc tells me to do but am very nervous about it all.my review is mid jan so will see what happens next, thanks again for your advice, rosie.

Old 11-21-2008, 02:40 AM   #6
(female)

Rosie2008 HB User

you have sure done a lot ! makes me ashsamed of my worries! what did your doc say is the next step for you? rosie

Old 11-21-2008, 06:38 AM   #7
(female)

PilotGal HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot1559 View Post
Most people I hear from are angry at themselves for not getting it done sooner.
ain't that the truth!

i am now at 10 weeks post surgery.
i am back to my old life without any hinderances.
i am dancing, doing zumba dancing, volleyball and back on my beach cruiser..

you will be dancing in about 7-8 weeks post surgery!
just you wait!

Old 11-21-2008, 06:54 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

keil HB Userkeil HB Userkeil HB Userkeil HB User

Right! just keep a posative atatude and follow the doctor's instructions.
ken

Closed Thread