It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2008, 02:54 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

hrtofluv HB User
Knee Pain - hurts above the knee and down to heel - lateral release?

I had a car wreck couple of years ago where my knee cracked the dashboard. Or I guess I should say the dashboard cracked my knee - ha! The ortho said that he would call it condromalacia of the patella. It has always hurt a little walking up stairs and you can hear the grinding. And it hurts to crawl (any direct pressure like crawling up onto the bed). Also, it hurts when I go from the gas pedal to the brake (possibly muscular?)

Now it has gotten to the point that it hurts real bad when I walk up stairs (not really going down at all). It hurts right above my kneecap in the middle of it. Today is the first time that it has hurt while just sitting with it on top of pillow (for the swelling) - still on top (like where my femur meets my knee) of the kneecap and it hurts down to my heel.

Doctor has said back in June that he could do a cleanout behind my kneecap and a lateral release. Why the lateral release? Any info on what is causing my pain or what a lateral release does and if it might work for my type of knee pain would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by hrtofluv; 11-14-2008 at 03:20 PM.

Old 11-14-2008, 06:00 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

ozfan79 HB Userozfan79 HB Userozfan79 HB User
Re: Knee Pain - hurts above the knee and down to heel - lateral release?

I had a lateral release done on Sept. 9. It is a surgery where the surgeon cuts a ligament on the outside part of your kneecap. It is done if your kneecap slides out of place to the outside. The surgery will allow the kneecap to track in its groove properly. After you had your car accident, did your kneecap ever pop out of place even a little bit? The surgeon also cleaned out the area under my kneecap during my surgery.

I hope this helped a little. If you have any more questions, please ask!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2008, 08:31 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

hrtofluv HB User

No - to my knowledge, my kneecap does not pop out of place. If I stand up straight and lock my knees, it feels like it might pop backward. But that is it. That's what makes me question the lateral release.
The pain isn't on the side of the knee, it's at the top.
But would be interested in your description of the surgery and recovery for your lateral release. Was it better or worse than you thought. Also, the dr said it may not resolve the pain I'm having. Did it help yours? How did you hurt yours?
Any info/advice would help.
THANKS!

Old 11-15-2008, 09:52 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

ozfan79 HB Userozfan79 HB Userozfan79 HB User

My problem started in January of 2006 when I stood up from a kneeling position. My kneecap popped out to the side when I stood up. I didn't twist my knee or anything. I had some pain at the top of my kneecap when it happened, but most of my pain was on the outer part of my kneecap. My injury wasn't correctly diagnosed until July 2006. Because of my financial situation at the time, I had to postpone the surgery until this year. After I broke my hand in March because my knee gave out, I knew I couldn't put off the surgery anymore.

The surgery and the recovery weren't too bad although I have had two setbacks. The surgery took less than an hour and a half. It was outpatient. I was only at the hospital for about 6.5 hours total. I used a walker for about a week, but I was bearing weight on my left leg the day of the surgery. I had staples in for two weeks. Those hurt. As far as pain meds go, I took a pill every four hours for the first week, and a pill every 6 to 7 hours during the second week. After I got my staples out, I was taking the pain pills more frequently. I think that was because I was bending and using my knee more. (My leg had been in an immobilizer while the staples were in.) By my six week check-up my range of motion was pretty much normal. There was some swelling and pain still, but the surgeon said that was normal. The week after that appointment, I developed bursitis in that knee. Oh yeah, at my six week appointment, the surgeon diagnosed me with shin splints in my left leg as well. I am still taking the narcotic pain meds once or twice a day. I have pain from so many things in my left leg, I don't know if the pain is still from the surgery or not. I am also taking meds to try to alleviate the bursitis..I am really hoping that will clear up soon. I have been going to PT 3 times a week since a month after surgery. That is progressing well. Despite all of the added issues that I have had during the recovery process, the benefits I have noticed made the surgery well worth it. Since the surgery, my kneecap tracks normally, and the type of pain that I had before the surgery is gone because the surgeon cleaned out some cartilage damage.

I hope this helped. If you have any more questions, please ask me!

Old 02-03-2011, 07:09 AM   #5
(female)

mangossa HB User

I had a lateral release and was it was done to loosen up my knee cap. The doctor thought this would relieve some pressure and help with the pain. I didn't have success with it. Make sure the lateral release is 100% needede. I just seen the date of the post, sorry.
I hope if you had the procedure it went great.

Closed Thread