It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2008, 09:53 AM   #1
(male)

BH3 HB User
Question Right Knee Pain <MRI results> Complex Tear

I have never had a knee injury in my life until 4 weeks ago. I remember waking up with pain on the inside of my right knee. it has since gotten worse. I do have a high tolerance for pain and was able to work the rest of the week while attending a Wurstfest on the following Saturday and running a 5K on Sunday. I went to the doctor who put me on Prednisone and Vicodin and referred me to a ortho. Whom took a sample of the water on my knee and gave me a steroid shot. Follow up visit did not find any sign of gout but there was elevated ESR and CRP. He suggested an MRI. All this time the pain is getting worse when my knee is in a certain position most of the time it is tolerable but still none the less painful. Last week my knee started to pop a lot when walking Here are the results of the MRI that was taken, I will not be able to get into my ortho for a week.

What can I expect from this?: --- I am 37 years old, 6'2" 230lbs Non Athletic I lead a computer life style for the most part due to work i.e working 8 - 12 hours a day at work then working more when I get home. I have had no history of knee problems in the past.

I am not going to claim to understand fully anything from the MRI -- but there are certain words that make me cringe as in degenerative, Arthritis, and Complex Tear

Any words of advice would be great

PLEASE NOTE THAT THE BELOW WAS TAKEN FROM A PDF SCAN using IMAGE TO TEXT i.e. there may be some characters not transferred to text correctly.

PROCEDURE: MRI RIGHT KNEE WITHOUT CONTRAST CLINICAL HISTORY: Right knee pain and swelling, with elevated C reactive protein and sed rate.

TECHNIQUE: Routine MRI of the right knee was performed on a 1.5 Tesla Siemens Symphony MRI utilizing standard imaging protocol. No prior studies are available for comparison at this time.

FINDINGS: The anterior cruciate ligament and posterior cruciate ligament are intact. The distal quadriceps and patellar tendons reveal no zbnormalities. The medial collateral ligament and lateral collateral ligament complex are unremarkable in appearance. Complex tear of the medial meniscus includes horizontal degenerative tear of the posterior horn and body, as well as radial tear of the posterior horn-body junction. The lateral meniscus appears to maintain integrity.

Hyaline articular cartilage is mildly thinned throughout the femorotibial joint. This is more prominent medially than laterally, with reactive marrow edema along the peripheral aspect of the medial tibia1 plateau. Patellar and femoral trochlear cartilage is intact. The patella is normally aligned with the femoral trochlea in neutral position. Marrow signal is otherwise homogenous, without evidence of acute bone contusion or occult fracture. A medium sized joint effusion is nonspecific in appearance. No intraarticular loose body is appreciated. A few septations are observed, raising the possibility of synovitis. Given the lab abnormalities, inflammatory arthritis may be considered. No popliteal cyst is seen.

IMPRESSION: I. COMPLEX TEAR OF THE MEDIAL MENISCUS IS PRESENT. THIS INCLUDES HORIZONTAL CLEAVAGE TEAR OF THE POSTERIOR HORN AND BODY, AS WELL AS RADIAL TEAR OF THE POSTERIOR HORNBODY JUNCTION.

2. FEMOROTIBIAL DEGENERATIVE CHONDROMALACIA IS MILD, BUT MORE PROMINENT MEDIALLY THAN LATERALLY. REACTIVE MARROW EDEMA IS OBSERVED AT THE PERIPHERAL ASPECT OF THE MEDIAL TlBlAL PLATEAU.

3. A MEDIUM SIZED JOINT EFFUSION IS NONSPECIFIC, BUT DOES EXHIBIT A FEW SEPTATIONS, RAISING THE POSSIBILITY OF SYNOVITIS. GIVEN THE LABORATORY ABNORMALITIES, INFLAMMATORY ARTHRITIS MAY BE A CONSIDERATION.

4. INTACT ACL, PCL, DISTAL QUADRICEPS AND PATELLAR TENDONS, MCL AND LCL COMPLEX. APPARENTLY INTACT LATERAL MENISCUS.

----

One thing to add, one of the techs at the radiologist told me that I would have to have surgery on my knee which was a little unnerving, I still can not remember what I did to injure my knee.

Last edited by BH3; 11-19-2008 at 11:03 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2008, 12:25 PM   #2
(male)

gib HB User
Re: Right Knee Pain <MRI results>

The Sanders Clinic in Houston helped me out with my miniscal tear and later, shoulder injury information.

I know it is tough to dicipher medical mumbo-jumbo, but at a minmum you've torn the cartilage (miniscus) in your knee. Assuming you'd have arthroscopic surgery, it is not too bad and I wouldn't worry about it too much, in the surgery sense. Mine was out patient surgery, I was in and out of the hospital in less than 4 hours.

Old 11-22-2008, 08:21 PM   #3
(female)

reyez HB User
Re: Right Knee Pain <MRI results> Complex Tear

I dont know what all of that means.. However, I had pain on the inside of my right knee.. The MRI showed that my meniscus was fine. However, my doctor did arthroscopy surgery because he thought I had a knee tracking problem and found out that almost my whole mensicus was torn.. I had a huge tear in it but the MRI showed that it was fine which is strange.. I cant help you decifer the code of MRI's but I would rest alot & ice your knee.. could possibly be a mensicus issue..

Old 11-27-2008, 02:35 PM   #4
(female)

Morgana00 HB User

To start, all your ligaments are fine. There are 2 C-shaped wedges in knees, the lateral and medial meniscus. Your lateral meniscus is fine, but you've torn your medial, which requires arthroscopy to trim/remove the tear. The paragraph about the articular cartilage means the cartilage on the ends of your bones is thinned, possibly due to general wear and tear with age, sedenteray work and weight, arthritis is mentioned and is possible, which accounts for that.

Often, meniscus can be torn without a certain accident or injury, just due to general stress or athritis. You should get it checked out.

Old 11-27-2008, 11:17 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

BH3,

Have you had your follow up appointment with your ortho yet? And did he schedule for an arthroscopy? Let us know how you're doing.

Kat

Old 12-18-2008, 12:46 AM   #6
(female)

GERTY GIRL HB User

It sounds like you have a torn miniscus and some arthiritis as well in your knee. I have had surgery on both knees for the meniscus tear and NOW have had total knee replacement as I got older (58) . I had a very active life ...playing softball for many years and jumping from big trucks, climbing ladders..etc. along with a family history of arthiritis and degenterative disc disease in the spine. This comes with age and some family history. You MAY NOT recall the injury or it may have slowly just happened. I can tell you that the surgeries did help with pain going away. I was back to work with in weeks , Good luck to you.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:45 AM   #7
(female)

HelenR HB User

Hi

Did you get any answer about your knee? I've had a not disimilar MRI (except it said probable tear of the meniscus'), but got told by the orthopedic surgeon that it's not an injury because of the elevated ESR. I also have a lot of muscular pain which has only come on since the knee 'injury'. I've seen two rheumatologists who can't figure it out which makes me wonder if it is anything rheumatological....

Any answers welcome.....

Helen

Closed Thread