It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2008, 05:49 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User
Left Hip and thigh pain.

I am searching on the board to see if anyone else has this type of a pain and what is it?
I have to go for an xray of the left hip this week but have no answer as to yet what could be wrong.
The pain started suddenly and out of the blue one day.
It doesn't hurt every minute of the day and only when I am in a sitting position and have to get up to walk does it hurt like heck. it's sharp and it spreads to the thigh and I have to limp in order not to put pressure on the hip it self.

I thought it would go away so stuck it out for a month.

I have a dx of osteoarthritits in my spine and joints in my hands and feet. I also have osteoporosis in this left hip but bone has grown back on it's own from the last years dexa scan and I also have osteoporosis in my spine. I am 48 yrs old, on estrogen patches due to surgical hysterectomy when I was 45.

The pain is hard to judge exactly where it is radiating from. I thought I'd hit the roof when my rheumy tried to bend my leg inwards and it hurts in the groin when pressed on. The most painful area is on the outside of the thigh on my upper hip.

Does this sound like arthritis? and if so, does arthritis just start out of the clear blue sky like this? one day you're fine and the next you're limping?

I'd appreciate any input.

many thanks,

Linda

Old 11-24-2008, 01:53 PM   #2
(female)

kuka980 HB User
Re: Left Hip and thigh pain.

hi there, I hope your pain will get better soon, my only other suggestion is try and ask you physition for advice on sciatica.
It is a pain along the nerve (a sensory and motor nerve that starts in the pelvis) that runs from the lower back to the buttocks and back of the thigh. It is generally the result of a herniated disk in the lumbar region of the spine, as you have arthritis, it is a possibility, its not serious and can be treated.
good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2008, 07:23 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

thank you for your advice Kuka980,
I went yesterday for the xray and am now waiting to hear from my rheumy dr. today for the results. I might wind up calling her myself instead of waiting to hear from her being I"m in such pain today.

When it's a sciatica problem, does it effect the entire front of the leg? from Hip to knee? it's mainly in the front of the thigh, not the bottom, nor the rear end.

I had a bout of sciatica when I was pregnant with my first child towards the end of the pregnancy when my child was at full term and pressing on the nerve, so I'm familiar with that type of pain.

This pain is totally different than sciatica pain. I'm just curious to see if it's arthritis or if it's my osteoporosis getting worst. when I read what the dr. wrote on the script for the xray to be performed, she had put down I have a history of osteoporosis. So I'm thinking that my dr. thinks it may be related to that???

I am also on hormone replacement therapy and being this is a form of estrogen, I never thought to even think it could be a clot or DVT caused by it.
they say that this is one of the risks for DVT if a person is on estrogen.

But my leg is not swollen or red thank goodness which is one of the signs of having DVT.

As you can see, I have been doing my studying.

somtimes it's not so good to do studying before a diagnosis is given because there's so many potential things it can be that it can make the person frightened.

anyway,
I'm almost there and just have to wait it out now.

Thank you again for your helpful suggestion.

sincerely,

LInda

Old 11-26-2008, 07:31 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

snowmelts HB User

My best guess is Bursitis.
<removed>

I have it in my right greater trochanter hip area.
So I know it gets horribly painful. The longer you wait to take care of it, the worse it gets.

I have taken PT for it but the most pain relief came from a Steroid shot.
YES, that shot does wonderfully get rid of the monster.
3 days after the shot you wake to NO pain from that Bursitis area.
That's a short term answer.

When osteoarthritis + osteoporosis is causing the spine to bend you need a long term answer too, cuz sadly it WILL come back.

For a long term answer I now see a Chiropractor to help slow down the bending of my spine and this, in turn, eleviates the stress on my Bursa sacs and so gets rid of my hip Bursitis pain.

Last edited by mod-anon; 12-02-2008 at 06:13 AM. Reason: do not post outside websites

Old 11-26-2008, 08:24 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

wow Snowmelts,
I never knew that having the osteo A and osteo P would wind up causing such trouble in my hip.

Is Bursitis a life long event without treatment? Does it go away on it's own?

If treating the arthritis and fibromyalgia and osteoporosis fixes the leg pain, why isn't any dr. helping me with those 3 diagnosis's?

It took me a long while to find out what was the cause of my bone pain and back pain and muscle pain, but as I mentioned above, not one dr. is telling me what to do to fix the problem.

Will I wind up suffering in pain the rest of my life? I feel so grouchy and lifeless on certain days. I feel like the only youth I have left in me is passing away me before my eyes. It's literally changing my face and my skin and my muscles. I hate it!
I can't do anything outdoors or indoors for that matter than requires any physical labor! I look fine on the outside to my family, but no one really understands how horrible I feel on the inside of my body.
My mother in law who is 81 yrs old and has NO compassion or tolerance to any form of pain in a person can not understand why I am not doing more for her in the house that we live in. It's a very large house with big rooms with hard wood floors that need daily maintenance of clean up of dust and pet hair. not to mention washing the floors, vacuming and preparing and cooking every single family meal on top of it.
she can NOT understand why I won't help paint the rooms of the whole house before they put it on the market.
she doesn't want to waste money paying for outside help when she can have her son do it and ME of course. but I won't do it. I do the best that I can, when I can and the other time I REST, REST, REST.
I'm finding that If I do not listen to my body I get even sicker.
being forced at the age of 48 yrs old to a live a gentle mobile life is the only thing I can do to survive under my conditions.
I'm very angry about myself. I feel so guilty that I can't do more or what's expected of me from this woman who has no compassion for what she thinks may be laziness in her eyes. she feels if she can work a five day work work full time and drive all the miles that's required for her to get there and back, then a woman of my age can do more than her.
but she has no adrenal glands for years now and is on a medication that gives her so much energy and stamina of a woman maybe 20 or 30 yrs younger than she is!
she just tells her self that if she's in pain, that she can literally THINK the pain away and THINK the problem away.

I'm wondering if something else is really going on in my body but my dr.s just aren't qualified in a specific field to identify it? I live in a little suburb town, not in a major city where the bests doctors might be.

Unfortunately I can't afford to go to a chiropractor. No one is telling me what to do with my spine trouble and pain throughout my body other than go to Physical therapy. They aren't telling me what other options i have after I go for physical therapy.

The only form of PT they told me to do the last time I was suggested to go was the swimming form. It felt good but did not fix the problem.
I can't go to PT the rest of my life, nor do i want to.

There really is no treatment for arthritis is there? and how can the dr. stop it from progressing so quickly through out my body?

should I seek medical attention from another expert other than my rheumytologist? What doctors treat you snowmelts?

I just wish my pain would go away for ever. But I know this is wishful thinking and totally stupid of me to think otherwise.

thanks for putting up with my raving maddness. that's how I feel today anyway.

I called my rheumy's office a little while ago to find out if the xray results were sent there yet. they were not. plus the dr. is not in yet, so i just have to wait till she gets them which is hopefully today before she shuts down her office early today because of the holiday tomorrow.

I wish you all a very happy and pain free Thanksgiving.
I will not be cooking the bird this year, which also make me feel a great guilt.
will I ever not feel guilty because I physically can't keep up with things anymore?
did you go through a guilt trip period? Is this normal?

sorry for all the questions and the non stop writing. I just have so much pent up grief in me that I do not let out on to my partner.

sincerely,

Linda

Old 11-26-2008, 11:32 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

snowmelts HB User

I hope you know your X-ray results soon.
It could be something else.
Could be arthritis in the hip joint.

Please keep us updated.
From your description Bursitis is just my uneducated "guess", not a professional opinion.

In the beginning I "thought" my hip bursitis was hip arthritis (OA) since I have OA everywhere else. So I put up with the pain and avoided telling my Dr.
But it got so horrid and constant I couldn't even move my leg from the gas to break petals of the car without monster pain.

..so off to the Dr I went.

Dr sent me for hip X-rays.
Not hip arthritis.
Dr send me for a hip MRI
Report came back that it was Bursitis.
Dr sent me to bone surgen.

Bone surgen said..nothing to operate on, why are you here?
I was there because my family Dr had sent me there.
I expected the shot.
The bone Dr said he did surgery and did not have the medications for that shot. My family Dr had been supposed to do that.
I begged the bone surgen not make me to waste more time in pain by sending me back to the family Dr.
He agreed and ordered the medication for my steriod shot.
A week later I got the shot (Thankfully)
3 days after the shot the pain completely disappeared in the hip.
I also had to do PT for 6 weeks.

BUT since the cause of my bursitis (spine bending) still exisits it does come back.
It will always be that way so control of my spinal bending is mostly all I can do to control it.
So I see my chiro.
I do also do small excercises tought to me in PT.

My friend has Bursitis in her shoulder and got the shot.
Her butsitis has not returned.
Weather it returns or not depends on it's cause.

I'm 61&#189; so most of my peers understand what arthritis can do to a person's stamina.
In my family this is a known problem of the generations of women before me and now in my own generation.

Last edited by snowmelts; 11-26-2008 at 11:34 AM.

Old 11-28-2008, 07:44 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well Snowmelts,
I got my answer on wed. and the results are ZERO!
They do not see a thing that could be causing my pain.
So my rheumy dr. is getting authorization from my insurance co. to get an MRI.

Did your bursitis come on cycllicaly? One day I feel like my leg is going to pop out of it's joint if I move it a certain way and on another day out of the clear blue sky, it can be pain free. It's the weirdest thing?
I used to get this same type of pain that comes and goes in both of my wrists because of an injury I had back in 2004 when I fell down on the hard ground and I used my wrists to support myself.
I wound up in the emergency room because it had felt like i broke both wrists.
they were sprained.
so now out of the clear blue sky, they suddenly will flair up that I can hardly hold a plate up.

I"m just disgusted because it seems like all my health problems are so hard to diagnose. It takes so many tests before something is ever found out and i'm tired of having to go thru test after test or doctor after doctor.

I'm glad you told me that what happened when they found your bursitis and that your family dr referred you to a bone surgeon and he asked you why you were there?
the same thing happened to me too but with something different.
I was so embarrassed.
I'm glad you stuck it out and asked the dr. not to send you back to your primary dr.
plus the fact the medication helped you is great news.

It was good corresponding with you and your information to me was very helpful.

sincerely,

Linda

Old 11-28-2008, 08:06 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

snowmelts HB User

Quote:
"m just disgusted because it seems like all my health problems are so hard to diagnose. It takes so many tests before something is ever found out and i'm tired of having to go thru test after test or doctor after doctor.
Believe me we all feel just the same way as you do about all the testing!
Honestly It's to our benefit that they can see a picture of exactly what's wrong and cut out any guess work. But I agree that when a person is in pain it sure make getting relief seem delayed.

I personally believe that sometimes (not always) Dr's do this so they have test results on hand as proof of why they prescribe whatever they prescribe. It's thier legal paper trail to lean on when someone decides to sue them.

Other times they do it because insurance requires a specific test be done before a certain medication can be given. I ran into that with my heel bone spurs. The Dr could feel the spurs with her finger, even directed me how to feel them with my finger. BUT she explained my insurance payment rules saying she could not give me the steriod shot for those untill I had had them X-rayed.

But there is a bright side, you now know you do not have arthritis in that hip!
That's actually good news, although it may not seem like that to you today.

The MRI report should tell the tale as to what the problem is.

I had my hip Bursitis for so long before I went and did something about it that I can't remember how it esculated in the beginning. I seem remember getting up from setting or climbing stairs were the worse pain then. Of course I could not lay on that side at all. By the time I started seeing a Dr for it there was no time of the day where there was no pain. Never a painless moment. It had become a 24/7 problem. But like I said I waited way too long to go see the DR and so that extra pain was basically my fault.

I hope they solve your painful problem soon.

Old 11-28-2008, 06:39 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

MsMuss HB User

Linda,

This was my experience. I went to the doc in Sept. and complained of pain from the top of the butt and it would radiate down to the knee. Hurt like the devil. It would come and go and would always attack when I would walk for long periods. He took an e-ray which showed the hips looked fine with a small spur on each hip. He said it's tendonitis blah, blah, blah...three advil every four hours and there is nothing else I can do. Here it is the end of November and two weeks ago the pain was debillitating!!! I went back to the doc...he sent me for an MRI. The reading came back as, moderate arthritis in the right hip with the left hip starting, ragged edges to the cartlidge, and fluid in the right hip joint and a little in the pelvis. Totally freaked me out!! He put me on Mobic (an NSAID) to reduce the inflammation and two days later my hip feels totally normal!! I must say I do feel a bit put out with the doc; I suffered in pain for three months and I really got the feeling he was stunned also about the MRI and what was going on. He made no mention of following up with him, but I am going to see him one last time and then find a new doc. I'm only 54 yrs. old and like to ski and be active so I am going to be very proactive about this. Wish you well and hope this info helps you...

Old 11-29-2008, 07:12 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wow!
You sure did help me! Actually..... you ALL helped me with your suggestions and your personal experiences.
That was what I was looking for when I came to this site.

here I was ready to throw in the towel, which I was seriously considering calling my doctor on Monday and just telling her to forget the darn MRI.

but after reading your post, I've changed my mind.

I'll go for it. It can't hurt, right?

Do you know if total picture of the MRI includes the leg down to the knee cap?
I ask this because when I woke up today, I have the pain back and find it hard to walk on it and the pain spreads down the thigh as well.
It's not just in the outer hip area.
when they bend the knee are to take the xray, which sort of looks like a frog leg position, it really really hurt me. I can't bend the leg without it hurting.
But.... if I bend down to pull out a pot of a lower cabinet, it doesn't hurt me.
so go figure?
It only hurts from a sitting to getting up position like on the sofa when I have to get up and into the walk or when I'm in my car and have to get out to walk

it's the strangest thing. I can't pin point a specific area where it really hurts. it's different every day. It mainly hurts me in the long thigh bone today, down to the knee cap.

I didn't want to share this private information I'm going to tell you but here goes. Only because people judge others on this medication I take.
I have been on a very strong pain medication called "methadone".
I've been on it for eight years now. It is very controlled and can only be given out by nurses at a local clinic that's on hospital grounds. only because people have abused it and it's dangerous and can kill people if taken wrong.
so the state controls who takes it and how many and where.
A regular doctor can not prescribe it unless they're specifically certified to do so. I think only doctors who manage pain are allowed.
I started on a high dosage of 90 mgs. of it and am now down to 15, which eventually I want to get off of for ever. the only hard thing about this specific drug is it's long acting and stays in the body for a very long time.
which means a person will go thru a wicked withdrawal symptoms when stopped. especially if you stop suddenly. It feels like you're dying.
this is why I'm getting off of it gradually.
the thing is, in the morning when i wake up in pain, the pain lasts till the effects of the medicine kick in. it's as strong as morphine but to a weaker degree I think.
even on the methadone I feel the pain, which really scares me. this medication is supposed to kill ALL pain. I really feel the pain when the medication wears off around 3 pm.
So when I went to the dr. for her to palpate the pain, the pain was masked slightly from the medication. I even asked her if I should stop the medicine the day I come to see her and she said "no".

the reason why I brought up the methadone is I'm wondering now if maybe I should stay on it because of the fact it helps take away most of my arthritis pain in my body and now this new hip pain.
I can not imagine how on earth I will be able to endure this chronic pain through out my body when I"m off the methadone. yet one can't live for ever on pain medication, right?
medicine is very toxic to our bodies.
then I thought that now that I'm taking the methadone for my pain now, rather than the real reason I first started taking it initially, maybe I'll be permitted to get the medication from a pain management doctor that's closer to where I live rather than having to drive so many miles four days a week?
they allow me to take home three bottles so I dont have to go every day like I used to have to.
This will save me loads of money on gasoline because of such high costs.
especially the fact that I"m on disability and don't get paid half as much money as I used to when I worked a full time job.

Am I sharing too much info? Sorry ladies if I talk too much. LOL actually ,write too much.
I'll close for now.

thanks again for your input.

Linda

Old 11-29-2008, 09:37 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

MsMuss HB User

The MRI doesn't hurt at all. It is noisy and takes about 30 minutes while you lay totally still. My doc only had it done on my right hip. I almost fell asleep in the machine. I told the operator I would think this contraption was a huge joke if it didn't provide such a clear picture of the hip. It was really loud!! You get to pick out a radio station to listen on headphones but it is still loud. Yes, I did had pain shooting down to my kneecap and over the top of the cap and in fact was starting to go to my calve too. After 36 hours of Mobic (an NSAID) I was totally pain free!! I don't know anything about Methadone but I do know that my pain came and went. As you said, no rhyme or reason to it. I hope this info helps you. I know I have had two children and never had the pain with childbirth that this caused and I made it to 8 centimeters without pain meds with my kids. I have a high tolerance to pain so I knew something was cooking. Good luck and keep us informed! After all, knowledge is power!

Old 12-08-2008, 05:31 AM   #12
(female)

myree71 HB User

Hi all,
I also suffer from hip bursitis (left hip and thigh worse than right).
My pain management doc gave me a trigger point injection in left hip. It helped that day (wish I could have one every day).
I had back surgery 1 year ago, 3 screws added to L5 S1, after that the hip pain started. Could this hip bursitis be caused from the surgery??? The doc that did the surgery xrayed my hip and said everything looks fine...but it still is killing me. Should I get an MRI of the hips...will it show anything???

Old 12-09-2008, 06:03 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Myree,
sorry to hear about your pain. I can relate. Every day there's a pain on my body,some days worst than others, especially today.

How did your dr. find that you have bursitis on your hip?
by xray?
I'm assuming xray because you ended your post with a question of possibly having an MRI.

I would definetly suggest an MRI. I think MRI's find more than just a standard xray can.

This is what my rheumytologist did too. I'm still waiting for the results. I just had the MRI this past Saturday. Today is Tuesday, so I should hear from my dr. today.

I hope your pain subsides. let us know what happens.

sincerely,
linda

Last edited by Administrator; 05-31-2009 at 06:42 PM.

Old 12-09-2008, 06:20 AM   #14
Inactive
(female)

MsMuss HB User

I have a question...what is bursitis? Is this the same as arthritis? I was stunned when my doc told me that I had moderate arthritis in my right hip and fluid in the joint. I am an active 54 year old female that likes to ski, do heavy yardwork etc. The only thing I can figure is that it is genetic. My mom had her right hip replaced and my aunt also had the same. My aunt said that her hip doc told her that loose jointed (same as double jointed very limber people) tend to get these issues. Any other info out there about this? I really am having a hard time dealing with these "senior" issues. If I were a man I think I would be in the middle of a mid-life crisis! I hate getting older!!!! I want to stay young forever but my body won't let me! It's a traitor as far as I'm concerned!!

P.S. I am going to find a new doctor as this doc really didn't take me seriously since September (kept saying it was tendonitis in my leg and grinning about it....idiot) even though I complained of intense pain until he was forced to send me for an MRI. He prescribed Mobic over the phone and then didn't even tell me whether he wanted to see me again about the problem. My question now is...should I see a hip specialist or an arthritis doc? I will not stop skiing or being active so I want to see a pro-active doc.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:44 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

A common spot for bursitis is on the side of the hip. Here a large tendon passes over the bony bump on the side of the hip. The bony bump is called the greater trochanter. Inflammation in the bursa between the tendon and the greater trochanter is called trochanteric bursitis.

This problem is common in older individuals.

It may also occur in younger patients who are extremely active in exercises such as walking, running, or biking.

This sounds that it might be related to your active life with skiing.

Where friction occurs between muscles, tendons, and bones, there is usually a structure called a bursa. A bursa is a thin sac of tissue that contains fluid to lubricate the area and reduce friction. The bursa is a normal structure. The body will even produce a bursa in response to friction.

Sometimes a bursa can become inflamed (swollen and irritated) because of too much friction or because of an injury to the bursa. An inflamed bursa can cause pain because movement makes the structures around the bursa rub against it.

Friction can build in the bursa during walking if the long tendon on the side of the thigh is tight. It is unclear what causes this tightening of the tendon. The gluteus maximus attaches to this long tendon. As you walk, the gluteus maximus pulls this tendon over the greater trochanter with each step. When the tendon is tight, it rubs against the bursa. The rubbing causes friction to build in the bursa, leading to irritation and inflammation. Friction can also start if the outer hip muscle (gluteus medius) is weak, if one leg is longer than the other, or if you run on banked (slanted) surfaces.

Most cases of trochanteric bursitis appear gradually with no obvious underlying injury or cause. Trochanteric bursitis can occur after artificial replacement of the hip joint or other types of hip surgery. The cause may be a combination of changes in the way the hip works, the way it is aligned, or the way scar tissue has formed from the healing incision.

A fall on the hip can cause bleeding into the bursa, forming a hematoma. The bleeding is not serious, but the bursa may react to the blood by becoming inflamed. The inflammation causes the bursa to become thickened over time. This thickening, constant irritation, and inflammation may result in the condition becoming chronic, or long lasting.

I"m not sure what type of doctor you should see, because I too am in the same boat you are regarding my hip problem. I definetly agree that you should stop seeing the dr. that isn't really listening to you. the one with the dumb smile on his face.
This guy sounds like my doctor. LOL
I am in the market for a new doctor too.
so far my rheumy doctor seems to be helping me the most.
she explained everything to me in detail and takes the time to listen to me when I say i"m in pain.

keep us informed with your updates. I"m very curious as to what becomes of this for you.

hang in there, you're a tough cookie.

Closed Thread