It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2008, 08:15 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User
comparison before and after hip replacement?

Dear Anne and everyone who answered to Anne's post, I am trying to find help her on the boards regarding my left hip pain that arrived suddenly and has not gone away after a month. especially after sitting in the car or sitting on a couch when I get up it hurts horribly to put pressure on my hip and I have to limp to take the weight off the painful hip. it runs down the thigh too. It's on the outter side of my upper left hip. if i put pressure on it, it hurts intensly.
I finally made an earlier apptn. with my rheumy dr to tell her what's going on and she wants me to get an xray and she gave me a script for pain pills. i do NOT want to take too many of the pills in fear of becoming dependent on them.

I am 48 yrs old, have osteoporosis in my left hip and spine, but when I had my follow up dexa scan a few months ago, they said the hip has improved and grew bone back from last years dexa scan. so I dont' think it's osteoporosis causing it.
I also am diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my spine and neck and now is going into my thumb joints and wrists and the joint in my feet.
I also have fibromyalgia ontop of all this other mess.
I seemed to attack me all at once but happened gradually through out the years.
I think by me having had a vitamin D deficiency for so long caused the bone loss in me and my theory is it probably had something to do with me having arthritis too.
my mom and brother have a bone disease called "gorhams" disease. or, vanishing bone disease. she had it in her long bone, her leg and my brother has it in his ribs. she is not with us anymore for me to ask her any questions about it, but my brother is still alive.
I seriously doubt I have gorhams. so I wont' talk about it.

I wish the people here who have problems with their hips and had hip replacement would post what happened to you all BEFORE your hip replacemtents. This way people who come to the board looking for answers can compare their symptoms with the people who have gone thru it.

would any of you have the time or feel like going into detail about your illness preop?

I am dying to talk to someone who has gone through what I'm going through or maybe someone might have the same thing I do and what did their diagnosis wind up being?

I wish you the best Anne and hope you start to feel better soon. I understand how frustrating it must be to you. especially being you had the surgery to correct the problem.

You mentioned you weren't having alot of pain before your surgery? they just found it by chance? did they find it on an xray or an MRI?
did your's happen suddenly like mine? or gradually?

after I took the medicine the first time, the pain subsided and I was able to walk without pain and no limping. The pain subsided for two days, almost three and I thought for sure it was just some sort of inflammation going on, but yesterday, the pain is back full force. so much so that it even hurt to lay down in bed. where as before, it only hurts during the day hours and not at night. I can't even lay on that hip for too long at night without it waking me up to flip over.
does it ever get better? am I going to wind up in a wheel chair by the time I hit my 50's???????
I wish I knew what type of dr. to go to or do I stay with my rheumytologist?

she wants me to go for physical therapy for my other bone conditions but I just dont' have the effort to do it.
I tried aqautic threrapy a year ago but it really didn't help me. it felt good, but it didn't fix the problem.

I'm afraid to get older if I dont' fix the problem now. what do you all think it could be going on in my hip?

I appreciate any input at this point.

sincerely,
Linda

Last edited by mod-anon; 11-24-2008 at 11:27 AM. Reason: starting a new thread with this post.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2008, 08:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User
Re: five months after hip replacement

Hi Linda:

The x-ray that you are going to have should show whether you need a hip replacement.

Shirley H.

Last edited by Silver Swan; 11-24-2008 at 08:27 AM. Reason: add my last initial

Old 11-24-2008, 08:36 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

thanks shirley.
I finally went ahead and made the xray apptn. after I finished posting here.
I'm going there within the hour.

thank you again,

Linda

Old 11-24-2008, 08:41 AM   #4
(female)

drlene47 HB User

Hi all,
Will try to comment on some of your statements. First, I was partial weight bearing after surgery cuz the femur top that was cut off was extremely soft. OS SAID that I had not been putting full weight on it for some time which was true cuz I did limp. The joint seemed tender before surgery but I did not have that bone crunching pain that most here have had. Also I could not lift the leg into the car or rotate it at all.
Back to the partial weight bearing; I was put on a walker right from the first and told to only use my tippy toe on that side for 5 weeks then weight bearing as tolerated. I got rid of the walker except for at night and then the cane as soon as possible cuz it was more trouble than it was worth after improving enough.
Went to the OS at first because the surgery leg seemed so much longer than the other. AFter exray he told me the joint was about gone and to conserve it. In six months it got much worse due to the fact that I had retired and was now doing a lot of different things and much more active.
During the last few months pre-op, the leg length discrepency disapeared and the joint was just tender enough for me to limp and I could not walk far or stand long. As I said, I also fell down about eight times in the last two years and have a healthy fear of falling now which may be why I am so unstable seemingly now. I also now have a 3/8 inch REAL leg discrepency from the surgery which is SOOOOOO much trouble to deal with cuz I have to put all sorts of lifts in my short shoe otherwise I am just that much more clumsy and my back starts to hurt.
Hope this helps someone and Anne, do let us know what you find out about the stiffness stuff cuz mine is much more sever than yours seems to be and I have had it longer also.
Darlene

Old 11-24-2008, 08:49 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sorry to hear you're having such pain after your surgery drlene.
I have no experience what so ever regarding info on hip replacement and the thought didn't even enter my mind that I might ever need it in my life being I"ve never had problems in my hip area. only my spine.
I would be very cautious of ever having one now that I'm seeing how many people have trouble in their recovery with it.
I thought it was supposed to help people, not cause more problems and more pain.
I have a feeling their not going to find out so easy what my problem is. I usually have a hard time getting a diagnosis for some reason. but that's just my luck. not anyone else's.
I wish you the best outcome and hope they fix your problem.

sincerely,
LInda

Old 11-24-2008, 10:18 AM   #6
(female)

drlene47 HB User

Hi again,
Did not mean to sound so pessimistic about THR cuz I am not. At this point would do it again if I had it to do over. The joint is solid and pain free now as far as tenderness and I CAN walk longer and am much more stable than before surgery. I understand from all my readings here that it takes TIME for this to get as good as it is going to get.
Don't know if I would use the same OS although the hip healed quickly with no problems and that is good. Also no apparent nerve problems- just the leg length and still not as graceful as I'd like to be. LOL The OS was not very communicative about things and I would know zilch to this day if I had not researched so much here and elsewhere. For instance, no one to this day, not OS or PT has bothered to release me from any restriction and if I hadn't followed my own instincts and info from research I would still be on the 90 degree rule, or wearing PEDS, or walking straight up like a stick person. LOL
All in all, the surgery experience was not bad except for the severe muscle spasms I spoke of which no one knew what to do for!!!!!!! It was my primary care physician who said to take the Zanax as much as I needed for the time. When I told the OS about this later, he said, "Oh yes, science has proven that only Zanax and Valume really work at reducing spasms." Duuuuuuuh?????? So why didn't he tell me this the first night after surgery when the severe spasms started? The nurses were in a daze trying to time demeral and toradal at eight hour intervals just to give me 2 hours of relief after each one. Anyway, that is just an example but I still think I am the exception with the spams and have only read one other post who had them like I did. AND Anne's post is the first I have read where someone has the "stiffness" problem upon rising from a supine position. I really do wish there was more info about this cuz I am not going to bother even mentioning it to the doctor. Am of the mind that some things just have to be tolerated and goes along with getting older which really isn't for sissies.
Darlene

Closed Thread