It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2008, 08:50 PM   #1
(female)

kimberly48 HB User
thr on nov 18

i had a total hip replacement last week on the 18. i have had some pretty intense spasms which my doctor told me is nothing to worry about and will pass. i feel really good for the most part. i had pt for the first time yesterday and am a bit sore today. my biggest complaint is these stockings (ted) the itching from them is almost making me crazy. i think i have to wear them until i see my dr on the2 of dec. what is the longest you take them off? i am taking shots of blood thinner everyday. my leg that i couldn't move easy before my surgery is still hard to move but i am only 8 days out. any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Old 11-27-2008, 05:29 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User
Re: thr on nov 18

Hi Kimberly:

It sounds to me like you are doing just great! Those TEDs are pesky things but maybe your doctor will say you can take them off, when you see him soon.

The more walking around you do, the better. We all are told that walking is the very best for our hip replacements. Just don't over do and get over tired. Stop before the fatigue sets in. Rest a while, then back to activity around home.

Shirley H.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2008, 09:54 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Larimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB User

I know how you feel about the TEDS!!!! I absolutely hated them. I had to wear hip/thigh high ones for 4 weeks (during summer in Houston!) and then begged my doctor to let me wear knee highs for 2 weeks. (These were easier to put on/take off by myself without assistance--sock donner was key) At end of 6 weeks, I was free. BUT, other folks have doctors who only made them wear for two weeks. It really does seem to vary from doctor to doctor. Then, when I was able to take them off, my skin flaked for weeks! Hang in there though--once you're done with them you won't look back.
Maggie

Old 12-13-2008, 01:23 PM   #4
(female)

cyclisthippo48 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly48 View Post
i had a total hip replacement last week on the 18. i have had some pretty intense spasms which my doctor told me is nothing to worry about and will pass. i feel really good for the most part. i had pt for the first time yesterday and am a bit sore today. my biggest complaint is these stockings (ted) the itching from them is almost making me crazy. i think i have to wear them until i see my dr on the2 of dec. what is the longest you take them off? i am taking shots of blood thinner everyday. my leg that i couldn't move easy before my surgery is still hard to move but i am only 8 days out. any words of wisdom would be appreciated.
Hello from New Zealand. I had my left total hip replacement on 28 November so I am now 16 days out. My surgeon said I didn't need to wear TEDS or blood thinners but to keep moving around. I still find the exercises (especially the one moving the leg out to the side on the bed) hard. I am still on two crutches and in the last day or two seem to get a lot of pain in the lower back on the left (sacro iliac), I also get numb toes if I sit too long. The leg is about 2cm longer than the unoperated leg, but surgeon says this will bed in as he got the legs the same length in surgery. How are you now as you are about a week ahead of me post op? I am just 49yr old. It seems to be slow progress to me, but that might be because I'm usually pretty active. Look forward to hearing from you. Cheers. Nicolette

Old 12-19-2008, 07:07 PM   #5
(female)

hipgirl612 HB User

I don't know why you have to wear those stockings. I had my THR on Nov. 14th, and never had to wear them. I did have to have blood thinner shots twice a day for 10 days though.

I am doing pretty well after surgery. I have just a slight achey pain. I used a walker the first 10 days and had a PT come to the house once a week. Now I am using a cane or limping on my own around the house. When we go shopping I usually bring the walker since it's not as tiring.

The thing I hate the most is sleeping flat on my back. My doc said it will be a while until I can turn onto my side.

Old 12-20-2008, 05:11 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User

[QUOTE=hipgirl612;3826194]I don't know why you have to wear those stockings. I had my THR on Nov. 14th, and never had to wear them. I did have to have blood thinner shots twice a day for 10 days though.

Hi hipgirl612:

It may be that some doctors are super cautious and conservative - sort of like some men wearing both a belt and suspenders to keep their pants from falling down!

Shirley H.

Old 12-20-2008, 06:30 AM   #7
(female)

Reecy HB User

TED's certainly aren't comfortable, but they aren't for ever either. :-) You aren't alone in the way you feel. I would be amazed to find anyone who has worn them that like them. Still at the same time, the precaution I feel was well worth the discomfort and aggrevation of getting the darn things on.

Cheri

Old 12-20-2008, 08:06 AM   #8
(female)

kimberly48 HB User

done with the teds and the shots thank goodness. i am also using a cane when i go out and use it just a bit in the house. i am going back to work the first of the year and i pray that i will not need the cane very much. my physical thearpist has given me some really tuff exercises to get those muscles working again. also he made the comment that i have been limping for sooooooooooo long (years) that i have ot retrain my brain to not let me walk with a limp. glad to hear that you are doing well.
peace and health
kimberly

Reply Reply