It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2008, 09:30 AM   #1
(male)

nKo23x HB User
How do i know if i have a broken hip?

Yesterday afternoon, I was playing tackle football with some friends and hit the floor really hard. There's no bruising or swelling, but it hurts to walk or even get up. What should I do?

Old 11-27-2008, 10:00 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Larimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB User
Re: How do i know if i have a broken hip?

Hi. A friend of mine suffered a hip fracture recently (she is elderly) and her symptoms were severe hip pain, swelling and inability to walk. Sounds like you may have bruised the hip and not fractured it, but you should probably get it checked out. Are you putting ice on hip? That might help with pain.

Maggie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2008, 10:10 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

If it were a fractured hip you wouldn't be walking...it would be too painful to even walk. If you are young and healthy you prob have just deep bruised yourself...I mean if you fall hard like that something is going to bruise and be sore. If the pain gets worse then go see a doctor.

Old 11-27-2008, 01:24 PM   #4
(female)

alice8845 HB User

yep... i broke my hip skiing a number of years ago..i was in my early 40's, and fit and healthy..but it was icy on the slope and very very hard to land on.

i could not get up onto my skiis..to ski down the slope..just simply physically could not move..i do not remember all that much pain at that time.

i finally did get up with difficulty and actually skiied down the hill, which people tell me was not only stupid but probably should not have done.

i also walked with great difficulty and drove myself home.
which people repeated what they said above...more emphatically.

actually, as i remember now., the pain was absolutely excruciating once i got home.. i could not sleep, move , or do anything until a kind friend came over and took me to the hospital.

maybe you should have an e ray just to be sure there was not a minor fracture.
or a hairline fracture..

cheerio
alice

Old 11-27-2008, 10:21 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

My husband broke his hips on both sides several years ago in an accident and he actually had to "re-learn" how to walk, because it took so long to heal and he was unable to walk for so long.

If you broke your hip, you'd know, because you would have never gotten up off that floor much less walked off the court.

Ibuprofen and ice are your best bet, and if it doesn't get better in a day or so, check in with your doc.

Old 11-29-2008, 07:50 AM   #6
(female)

alice8845 HB User

kaitlin.. i really did break my hip to the extent of having three pins put into it.
The last post by me was the truth and not fiction..

i did get up..even with great great trouble.. and even continued to ski and walk after it was broken..

it was very very painful, but i did do it..
so getting up after a hip break is not impossible.

you still gave good advice about the i propen and visit to get x rays just to be sure.

alice

Old 11-29-2008, 05:07 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Alice

All I can say is you must have one heck of an outrageous pain tolerance!

Old 10-02-2010, 02:53 PM   #8
(female)

Lucylulu HB User

Sorry, but i beg to differ with a few on here, I was about 30, i had an xray, found out i had broken my hip, it fused and doesn't operate properly, I have never been able to not walk. No one is able to determine when or how i broke it. Now it only bothers me when it is damp out.

Old 10-02-2010, 03:41 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

barb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nKo23x View Post
Yesterday afternoon, I was playing tackle football with some friends and hit the floor really hard. There's no bruising or swelling, but it hurts to walk or even get up. What should I do?
SEE A DOCTOR

Closed Thread