It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2008, 07:11 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

nscrbug HB User
Left hip pain

First some background info - I'm a 43yo active female. I swim, bike, run, lift weights, do various forms of cardio at the gym, and stretch extensively. It should also be noted, that I have a chronic back condition (grade 2 spondylolisthesis at the L5/S1 level). For the past 2 or 3 years, I have been getting bouts of left hip pain. Actually...the pain isn't really in my hip, but rather right on the iliac crest, or the pointy tip of the pelvic bone. It's very tender to the touch, it hurts to lay on that side, it hurts to climb up stairs (going down isn't as bad), it hurts in a flexed position and also hurts when adducted (but does NOT hurt when abducted or extended), and of course it hurts to run and many times even just to walk. I'm at my wit's end with this pain already! I've tried stretching the IT Band, hip flexors, glutes, hamstrings, quads, you name it...nothing helps! I've tried icing/heat, NSAIDS, rubs and ointments. I've tried massaging it out using a foam roller...but it feels so tender, that I can hardly put any pressure on it. I visited my chiro, and he initially thought it was trochanteric bursitis...but the location of my pain doesn't seem to correlate with the location of the pain associated with bursitis. My pain is much higher, near the waistline, at the top of the pelvic bone. So after further visits with my chiro, he now thinks my hip pain is somehow related to my lower back issues. Can anyone here shed any light on what it is that I might be dealing with here? I'm starting to contemplate about getting an MRI or bone scan to rule out anything more serious. I haven't been able to run in weeks, and I can feel depression setting in. I just want to get back to my normal exercise routine. Can anyone help me figure out what this hip pain is? Thanks!

Last edited by nscrbug; 12-01-2008 at 07:14 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread