It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2008, 11:01 AM   #1
(female)

pret51 HB User
Short Leg Discrepancy

Hi All

I just wanted to share my story and am hoping there are others who are experiencing what I'm going through. I'm in my late 30s and have was born with one leg shorter than the other. About an inch. Through embarrassment, I ignored it lived in denial. Through over straightening it for years, I have damaged my knee and am sufffering from repetitive strain injury in short leg knee. To compensate for short leg, I've been wearing half inch heel raise on short leg and although it has helped with the initial pain in the knee, now I am experiencing extreme pain in my fibula bone(where it meets knee). Due to the way my body adjusted to the short leg, both my tibia and fibula are slightly misaligned to the knee joint and the fibula sticks out on the side of the leg. I was just wondering if wearing the heel raise would make the fibula rotate out more? It throbs inside after short distance walking or standing for a while. My body has adjusted to heel raise, 3mth now, and I am unable to walk without heel raise now. When I stand without heel raise, the pain in fibula joint is lesser.
I've seen an orthopaedic consultant and he has said there is little to help me. Can anyone help?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2008, 08:35 AM   #2
(female)

JP6687 HB User
Re: Short Leg Discrepancy

I have a short leg due to a motorcycle accident I had when I was 21, I'm now 46. My left leg is an 1 1/2 shorter and in my thirties I started having problems. I went back to the orthopedic doctor and he did the same thing, he wanted to give me pain killers, anti-inflammatories and muscle relaxers, he told me there was nothing he could do for me. I also where a 1 inch lift in my shoe which helps, but I also found that going to a chiropractor helped me. I'm not sure if it will work for you, but you might want to give it a shot, you have nothing to lose and believe me I never pictured myself going to one and now I can't live with out it. I don't go weekly, but when I'm in pain I go in for an adjustment and it really helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-23-2008, 06:31 AM   #3
(female)

pret51 HB User

Hi JP6687

Thank you for your post. Where do you get your insoles from? So far, I've only managed to find 2cm insoles that are impossible to wear, as they fill up the shoe. There is hardly any room for my poor foot! I've has one pair of trainers built up from the outside, but they are so uncomfortable to wear. I get intense pain in my foot and heel when I wear them. I have no other outdoor shoes; I am desperate. I've been told shoes with moulded rubber soles cannot be adjusted. Most modern shoes are with moulded soles. I cannot stand high heels...I've always worn comfortable healthy flat shoes/sandals. I've become a recluse, prefering to hide at home. Very sad, but there seems to be so little support for people with leg length discrepancy.

At home, I wear odd slippers with different heel heights. I look funny, but it does the trick!

It seems to be fairly common from what friends have told me...So why is it so hard to get shoes that can be altered and comfortable to wear? How long have you been wearing the insoles/raise?

Does the chiropractic treatment help with back pain or with the leg pain too?

Hope you have a pain free Christmas!!

Merry Christmas and best wishes for the new year!

P

Old 06-25-2009, 11:27 AM   #4
(female)

Buggalugs HB User

Hi there
I came across your post today whilst looking through the website. I am wondering if you have managed to sort out your leg length problem? I am experiencing the same thing after having hip replacement surgery. Like you I have had a leg length problem for years and dealt with it as best I could, finally getting custome made orthotics, now that ive had my surgery my problem is way worse and if i get more orthotics made I will be unable to wear normal shoes. I am so mad and depressed about it all. Anyway, just wondered how you are going on. I am originally from England but now live in Canada.
Cheers
Buggalugs

Closed Thread