It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2008, 07:57 AM   #1
(female)

lucybooz HB User
sleeping with hip pain

i know i will be having a hip replacement sometime in the near future, just haven't made myself say when, but i was wondering those of you who have had hip problems, or still do, is there anything one can do to help to make sleeping more comfortable? it's getting to the point that i might fall asleep for an hour or two and then i can't get comfortable - off to the recliner i go. i put a pillow under my leg, try sleeping almost in an upright position - isn't cutting it anymore. any suggestions PLEASE!!!!!!

THANKS, LUCY

Old 12-05-2008, 09:31 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User
Re: sleeping with hip pain

Hi Lucy:

Been there, done that, except I don't have a recliner. The only thing that helped with the pain was my doctor tinkering with a couple prescription pain killers. It took a little while to find one that covered the awful pains. He thought for months that my pain was caused by a couple bulging discs, and he finally sent me to a spine doctor, who took an x-ray and told me immediately, upon viewing the image, that what was wrong is that I needed hip replacements, and the right hip worse than the left. So I had the right hip replaced last December 12 and it is a great sucess. No problems ever after surgery or during rehab and to this day my replaced hip is doing great.

I think I will have to have the left hip replaced soon. I am just about ready to do that!
Don't wait too long Lucy. Get it done and enjoy being pain free. By the way, I am now 79 and in very good health.

Shirley H.

Last edited by Silver Swan; 12-05-2008 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Add sentence.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2008, 12:07 PM   #3
(female)

lucybooz HB User

thanks shirley. believe me, i'm getting closer and closer to making the decision to get it done. for the longest time it was "manageable". lately, it seems to be going downhill faster and faster. actually i feel best standing and walking!!!!! even sitting can be painful anymore. best of luck to you.

lucy

Old 12-05-2008, 02:25 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User

Thanks, Lucy for the good wishes.

I have read other people saying that the pain from osteoarthritic hips progresses fast. I sure found that to be true. And good wishes to you!

Shirley H.

Last edited by Silver Swan; 12-05-2008 at 02:26 PM. Reason: add a word

Old 12-05-2008, 08:07 PM   #5
(female)

lucybooz HB User

shirley, if you don't mind my asking. you mentioned originally thinking you had "back problems" (disc problems, etc.). i have chronic back problems. i was wondering if perhaps the hip might be related to the back, or vice-versa, and if after the hip replacement, my back problems might MAGICALLY get MUCH better??????? do you find that your "back" problems were helped with your thr? gee i hope so!!!!!!!

thanks, lucy

Old 12-06-2008, 03:31 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Lucy:

Regarding my "back problems" - the only time my back seems to bother me is when I do things like picking up something off the floor, which I avoid because it hurts - I am allowed to bend as far down as I wish, my hip surgeon says. And then my back will hurt when I put fresh sheets on the bed and bend a lot, lift the corners of the mattress, etc.
I can get my back straightened out, so to speak, by lying down for a little while, or even by standing and bending backwards for a few seconds.

I really don't think those bulging discs were causing any problems, but theorize that when I bend over or down, the might be bothering the nerve or something like that.

When I saw the spine doctor, he said he would be happy to see me about my back at some point, but I don't think that will be necessary. At least, I hope not. I think it was my hips all the time.

I think the reason I was having such terrible leg pains during the nights was that I did a lot of walking during the days, and this aggravated my hips' osteo arthritis.

There was just nothing that would relieve this pain until my regular doctor prescribed Percocet. I didn't have to take more than about four nights of this till things improved. It might be that this relaxed my body - who knows about these things. Everyone is different. I don't like taking pain killers so always quit them as soon as possible. But that night time leg pain was awful. There was nothing that made it better - not changing position in bed, walking around, massaging, etc. - nothing! And the entire time it was my hips having lost their cushioning. I lost weeks of sleep!

Shirley H.

Last edited by Silver Swan; 12-06-2008 at 03:33 AM. Reason: typo

Old 12-06-2008, 07:59 AM   #7
(female)

lthomas HB User

I had hip arthroscopy and it has taken care of constant the pain. I could tell the night after surgery that it worked. Unfortunately I now have a weather predicting knee and hip that shouts when a front is approaching. With 2 joints predicting my accuracy rate has increase to about 99%.

Most OS don't recommend hip arthroscopy for arthritis but my surgeon, Thomas Byrd, is one of the foremost authorities in the US. He has been doing hip arthroscopy for 20 years. He thinks that OS should be trained the proper technique and do them as treatment before hip replacement. If you look at the progression of treatment for knees, arthroscopic debridement is a treatment that most OS use now. 20 years ago knee arthroscopy wasn't done before knee replacement. Now it it very common to have 2-3 before knee replacement.

Dr. Byrd said he couldn't predict what my hip might do in the future but he thought I could have the surgery one more time and that it was quite possible that I would never need hip replacement.

Gymnastics is fun at 18 but not at 40.

Old 12-06-2008, 03:30 PM   #8
(female)

lucybooz HB User

what is hip arthroscopy? how "involved" is the surgery? please advise and i will mention it to my doctor.

thanks, lucy

Old 12-06-2008, 08:53 PM   #9
(female)

lthomas HB User

It is out patient surgery. My surgery was in August and I haven't had that BAD pain since the surgery. Mine took about 4 hours, but my arthritis was pretty bad. I took pain meds the first day after the surgery. I didn't need any after that day.

Your hip has to be dislocated for the surgery so you must take extra precaution for 12 months to keep the hip from dislocating. It takes that long for everything to adjust to the newly formed hip. I was on crutches for 6 weeks (50% weight bearing) and had to have 12 weeks of PT. I am not suppose to do stressful activities like tennis or skiing for 12 months.

Dr. Byrd teaches the procedure at seminars in the US and foreign countries. He is no "fly by night" OS.

Gymnastics is fun at 18 but not at 40.

Last edited by moderator2; 12-07-2008 at 05:30 AM. Reason: posted disallowed website(s)

Old 12-12-2008, 11:01 PM   #10
(female)

sparksals HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucybooz View Post
shirley, if you don't mind my asking. you mentioned originally thinking you had "back problems" (disc problems, etc.). i have chronic back problems. i was wondering if perhaps the hip might be related to the back, or vice-versa, and if after the hip replacement, my back problems might MAGICALLY get MUCH better??????? do you find that your "back" problems were helped with your thr? gee i hope so!!!!!!!

thanks, lucy
My hip caused all my back pain. I am 43 and had a hip with terrible osteoarthritis since I was 35. The longer i went, the more my back hurt. Sleeping was almost impossible and I had this whole setup of pillows between my knees, elevating my knees, etc.

The reason my back hurt so much is because it was doing the work my hip couldn't. Once I had THR 2 months ago, my back pain completely disappeared. I am now working in physiotherapy to strengthen my back that was terribly weakened by all the work it had to do for so many years.

So, yes, in my case, my back pain was totally related to my bad hip. Once I fixed the hip, the back pain completely disappeared.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:35 PM   #11
(female)

MARVEENC HB User

Thanks for sharing this info. It is so important to find the best doctor. You were both smart and lucky to have done so.

I've suffered from hip bursitis for 3 yrs. being treated with anti inflammatories and a combination of rest, steroid injections and physical therapy with no lasting effect. I felt strongly that there must be some cause for the intractable bursitis and finally got referred to an OS. XRay and MRI revealed a tear in the gluteus medius muscle. This area swells, causing pressure on the bursa, which in turn becomes inflamed and swells. Walking, stair climbing, getting in and out of cars, etc. are all pain producing activities. Sleeping has been a big problem as I cannot sleep on either side without pain.

I've been told that there is a surgical procedure (fasciotomy) that will allow a surgeon to clean out the bursa and then re-attach the torn muscle. The post op period is about 4 weeks: 2 wks on crutches and 2 wks on a cane. I'm trying to find a physician in the Tucson or Scottsdale area who does this technique arthroscopically in hopes that the post op period might be shorter. I hope I can be as fortunate as you were to find the right doctor.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:44 PM   #12
(female)

MARVEENC HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucybooz View Post
i know i will be having a hip replacement sometime in the near future, just haven't made myself say when, but i was wondering those of you who have had hip problems, or still do, is there anything one can do to help to make sleeping more comfortable? it's getting to the point that i might fall asleep for an hour or two and then i can't get comfortable - off to the recliner i go. i put a pillow under my leg, try sleeping almost in an upright position - isn't cutting it anymore. any suggestions PLEASE!!!!!!

THANKS, LUCY
Lucy,

I understand completely. For almost a year I've been propping myself up with pillows here and there, but always rolled over on my bad hip during the night and then couldn't go back to sleep. About a month ago I heard about a set of bolsters that produced zero-gravity on the body. I went to our local "back" store and tried it. The zero-gravity bolsters are expensive because they are made of "memory foam", but they were well worth the cost to me.

Once you see and try it, you might be able to figure out how to create your own set of bolsters out of regular foam, for much less money. Although they wouldn't be as comfortable as "memory foam", they would have to be a better alternative than pillows and sleeping in a recliner. I hope you find some relief soon, as I know how debilitating lack of sleep can be.

Reply Reply