It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2008, 06:59 PM   #1
(female)

cardshark HB Usercardshark HB Usercardshark HB User
update and more questions

I have continued to have severe pain at the knee and have been on crutches for 3 months now as a result. I had an MRI Sept. 30 and it showed what appeared to be 2 possible bone cysts. I just had another MRI, this time with contrast, and it shows some abnormalitis which they have decided are not bone cysts they are suggestive of enchondromas and there are now 4 instead of 2 and they are at the site of my pain. This MRI also shows some sclerotic foci likely corresponding to bone islands. With my history of 4 prior major malignancies my doctor is working on getting a consult scheduled with an orthopedic surgeon.

The research I have found says enchondromas are rarely malignant but they don't normally cause symptoms either and if they cause pain then malignant transformation should be suspected. I also found info. that says chondrosarcoma-in particulare, low-grade chondrosarcoma- may be indistinguishable from enchondroma. Certain imaging features may be helpful in distinguishing enchondroma from chondrosarcoma; however, even a lesion with no imaging features suggestive of malignancy and an imaging appearance compatible with an enchondroma should be resected when it is associated with pain. Low-grade chondrosarcoma may be indistinguishable from enchondroma on all images, and the diagnosis may be difficult, even with histologic evaluation.

I also found a little info on the bone islands that stated if the patient is symptomatic or has a history of malignancy, clinical follow-up and biopsy may be warranted.

Has anyone else dealt with either of these if so any info. you have is appreciated.
Thanks
Cardshark

Last edited by cardshark; 12-12-2008 at 07:07 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread