It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2008, 05:27 PM   #1
(male)

Hoenisch5 HB User
Knee replacement... any hardware recommendations?

Hi,

Can anyone tell me where to find a site that may compare knee replacement
hardware options? I have searched the web with little or no luck. I am a 51 yo
Fire Captain, very active and I want to stay that way. I am getting a TKR in late January, this after a THR in 2007 as a result of a building collapse. I am going to have to retire as a result of my injuries, but I'm thankful modern surgery gave me 10 extra years since the 1999 accident.
Thanks in advance for any help...this is a great site!

Marty

Last edited by mod85; 11-13-2012 at 06:22 PM. Reason: duplicate thread titles... closed old thread

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2008, 08:26 AM   #2
(female)

ceceliaO HB User
Re: Knee replacement... any hardware recommendations?

Sugeons usually train to use certain manufacturers' replacements. Mine is going to use Criathlon? I picked the doctor and will trust the product he uses.

Last edited by mod85; 11-13-2012 at 06:23 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2011, 06:08 PM   #3
(male)

evj HB User
Re: Knee replacement hardware recommendations

depuy sigma rotating platform is giving me outstanding results.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:18 PM   #4
(male)

glennxyz HB Userglennxyz HB Userglennxyz HB Userglennxyz HB Userglennxyz HB Userglennxyz HB User

My TKR was Oct 2010, smith&nephew journey knee/surgeon was trained on this one, I waited 7 months for this surgeon for 1st consultation. I had the TKR performed at hospital for special surgery in NYC. I was back bowling in 6 weeks and played more golf this year than I had in years, I am 56 years old and very active. Gym 4 days a week, 45+ mins elipitical and then weights & swimming. Its been great but at the end of the day you know you have some artificial in your leg but there is no pain. I tried to fnd a site that compared hardware but no luck.

Good luck,
Glenn

Last edited by mod85; 11-13-2012 at 06:23 PM.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:59 PM   #5
(male)

evj HB User

you have an excellent knee. it uses a different metal material than most, oxidyzed zirconium which they call oxicidium sp? it is supposed to have superior wear properties, maybe 30 years. i have advanced ski friends who love this knee. one may have used your doc. my doc helped design the depuy sigma rotating platform and prefers it because of its design properties.

closest to a good comparison is the australian registry.

i believe an aggressive therapist that works with 5 or more total knee people a week is also key.

Last edited by mod85; 11-13-2012 at 06:24 PM.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:33 AM   #6
(male)

glennxyz HB Userglennxyz HB Userglennxyz HB Userglennxyz HB Userglennxyz HB Userglennxyz HB User

Thx for the positive comments on my knee hardware, I did some reading on oxidized zirconium and found some simulation tests that exceed any other type of knee.

I sure hope they are right, I plan to be a real world stress test for this knee :-)

Glenn

Last edited by mod85; 11-13-2012 at 06:24 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to glennxyz:
evj (11-01-2011)
Old 11-13-2012, 05:26 PM   #7
(male)

evj HB User
Re: Knee replacement hardware recommendations

only one company uses oxcidized zirconium, Smith and Nephew. Maybe they have a patent. they claim it lasts 4 times as long. I have never been able to find an independent comparison of wear expectations. my doc feels the depuy sigma with a rotating platform is good for 20 years. the rotating platform is because a knee typically ratates 7 to 9 degrees when it bends.

they are also in trials with a new longer wearing plastic, but it is not yet available in the rotating platform version. only 30 dos are in the trial right now.

evj

Old 11-13-2012, 06:06 PM   #8
(female)

Tampa Mom HB UserTampa Mom HB User

I was 23 when I initially injured my knee playing volleyball; the torn medial meniscus was removed, standard practice at that time. I had a tibial osteotomy @ 15 years ago to postpone the need for a TKR. I am now gulp, 62. I was going to the gym 5x week and running for an hour on the elliptical up to the day before my TKR, and I intend to get back to my routine as soon as I can. I was told the only activities I should avoid in the future are running and kneeling, and that if I stay in shape and keep my weight dow, my TKR should be good for 20+ years. From his lips to God's ears, because I don't look forward to another TKR rehab.

Last edited by mod85; 11-13-2012 at 06:25 PM. Reason: updating title

Old 11-13-2012, 07:13 PM   #9
(male)

evj HB User

with your attitude you'll do fine. I'd hope your doc does 10 plus knee replacements a month and the particular PT you work with works with several TKR patients every day.

I drove a distance to have the the PT my doc said was #1 and I am glad I did.
evj

Reply Reply