It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2008, 12:38 PM   #1
(male)

deuce1 HB User
Ruptured ACL

Hi.
I am in desperate need of some advice.

I ruptured my ACL around 8 years ago and although it has never been ok I have tried to get on with my life without having surgery.

The time has now come where I cannot take it any more and i'm also worried that i'm causing more problems by not having the surgery.

Due to the knee being unstable it gives way (as if I have dislocated the joint and then seems to go back almost immediately) on numerous occasions and everytime this happens it seems to cause more pain.

When this does happen the pain and instability only seems to last 4 or 5 days and then it seems to be ok.

Although I am active and enjory sports and activities I am able to participate without to many problems (I do tend to hold back in fear of me twisting it out).
Last Thursday night I twisted it, but it didn't seem to dislocate and it was no where near as bad as what normally happens. However the pain and discomfort has probably been the worse since I first had the injury.

It's my right knee that's damaged and although the pain is in the centre of the joint deep inside, I now have pain on the right side of the joint (I believe this to be the menisci).

If I place all my weight on my right leg and start to squat, within a couple of inches I get a serious pain (as if I have a trapped nerve) and it is initially so bad that I feel like collapsing.

Due to me not being on my feet for extended periods of time without taking the weight off I have been able to carry on without to many problems. However I went Christmas shopping with my wife today and was having to stop and sit down every 15 minutes or so.

I have just started to take dicloflex to try and ease the inflamation, but I do not know what to do next.

Im currently 31 years old and I really do want to keep up with my physical hobbies and activities. I have read that if you fall into this category then having surgery is the best option.

My only problem at the moment is I have an AXA healthcare insurance that covers me for the injury, but I have recently relocated to Dubai. I'm not sure if I will have to fly back to have the surgery and if so how long will it take from initial consultation to surgery.

I would greatly appreciate any and all comments or advice on my situation.

Many thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-26-2008, 09:31 AM   #2
(male)

gib HB User
Re: Ruptured ACL

Perhaps you're doing damage to the miniscus when it dislocates? Sounds like you should get this fixed. The Sanders Clinic in Houston TX provided a wealth of information for me when I had my knee fixed for a tear. I would certainly look to them for ACL information and what to look out for. Getting yourself informed before getting surgery is probably the most important step in making sure your outcome is what you want and need, not what you end up with.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:22 AM   #3
(male)

deuce1 HB User

Thanks very much gib.

I'll take a look at the sanders clinic and like you said get as much info as possible before the surgey happens.

Old 12-27-2008, 09:44 AM   #4
(male)

gib HB User

Dr. Mark provides information on your x-rays, mri's, ct scans through one of his interests which is dirt bike racing as it relates to health and fitness, thumpertalk, ktmtalk.

Old 12-27-2008, 11:19 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Larimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB User

Hi. I've gone to Dr. Sanders over the years. He is really helpful. However, if you are looking for him, you might try looking for Multisport Health Center in Houston. That's the name of his clinic. Of course if you check his name on the internet, you'll find him too. He usually volunteers at one of the big Iron Men competitions every year and treats the athletes who are injured or hurting. He's a runner himself and treats lots of athletes around town.

Last edited by Larimergirl; 12-27-2008 at 11:20 AM.

Old 12-31-2008, 05:12 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Years of instability, due to a ruptured ACL, have likely led to further joint damage. This is why it is recommended to have ACL surgery soon after an ACL injury - so you can regain leg stability. I can't see why you would avoid surgery at this point - I'm surprised no physician has encouraged this earlier.

Reply Reply