It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2008, 08:48 AM   #1
(male)

Mikey44 HB User
Shaky and stiff after total hip replacement

I had THP on Oct 31. Since then, I've gained strength through home excercises, therapy and returing to the eliptical at the gym. BUT, there are two nagging after effects that are driving me nuts. My right hip (the new one) is profoundly stiff when I get up in the morning and my leg shakes awfully when I walk. Is this a normal thing to experience 8 weeks after surgery, and can I expect it to subside with continued excercise? Any input would be so greatly appreciated!

BTW, I just joined Health Boards, so hello everybody!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2008, 02:07 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User
Re: Shaky and stiff after total hip replacement

Hi Mikey44:

Welcome to this wonderful board. I don't remember being shaky and stiff two months after my right hip replacement, but I do know that the more walking you do with your new hip, the better.

I was at a rehab facility for two weeks after my hip replacement because I live alone and the doctor thought it best for me to be where I would have others around to help with meals, PT, meds, vitals, etc.

The PT people there said to not do the on - the - bed leg exercises too much - that once a day would be plenty. Those are the ones where you press against the bed to exercise the thighs and legs - also doing ankle pumps.

Maybe others can jump in here with their opinions and recollections regarding shakiness and stiffness.

Shirley H.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2008, 08:42 AM   #3
(male)

Mikey44 HB User

Thanks so much for your quick reply, Shirley. I go to pt today, so I'll ask what can be done about the stiffness. As for the shakiness, I can only think it's weakness. But for all the excercises I do, one would think it would abate. Ah well, perhaps patience should be applied to my situation as well.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:57 PM   #4
(female)

glidd2 HB User

Hi, I'm into my 12th week after my new right hip. I thought that I would recover a lot quicker than I actually have. Perhaps we are expecting too much. My hip at 8 weeks was very weak and I was still using my crutches. My leg still feels weak but I am doing a lot more exercise and walking and don't need the crutches. Hope this helps. Kate

Old 12-30-2008, 05:09 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Larimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB User

Hi. I'll be officially at week 20 on Jan 4. My hip was still stiff around 8 weeks, but I didn't have any shakiness walking. I did and do have some weakness in the right hip when I started exercising at the gym. It has improved over time, the more I exercised. Maggie

Old 12-31-2008, 08:13 AM   #6
(male)

Mikey44 HB User

Thanks, Maggie. The shakiness is present only when I first start to move around in the morning, then it disappears. I think with more excercise, i.e. weight lifting, that it will go away completely.

Old 12-31-2008, 05:52 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

libloom HB User

Hi and welcome....

IMO, it's weakness in the leg...particularly if you limped around a good while before having the surgery. We have to strengthen those muscles!

Are you working with a therapist who is familiar with hip replacement patients? That's so important.....

Good luck,
Linda
(bi-laterial THR's)

Old 01-15-2009, 07:23 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

keil HB Userkeil HB Userkeil HB Userkeil HB User

I agree, you need to exercise the leg mussels, the weaknes and shakyness will go away. Walking is the best for the leg & HIP, talk to your PT and doctor also, they should be aware of your contition.
PS - I had my THR 3 1/2 years ago and feel great.
Please keep us updated
Ken

Old 01-16-2009, 08:17 AM   #9
(male)

Mikey44 HB User

I have not been walking correctly for a year and a half. I broke my hip in the summer of '07, and I've been using orthopedic equipment to get around ever since. At home, I put aside the cane and walk around as much as possible, but I'm wary of outside and wide open spaces.

Thanks, everyone for your kind input

Old 01-18-2009, 11:58 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

keil HB Userkeil HB Userkeil HB Userkeil HB User

I found that a walker with wheels on the front legs was the best / easiest for me, it inabled me to stand up streight while walking. It will take time but you will get there! As I said, your PT and Doctor need to know of the shaky & stiff leg problem.
Ken

Closed Thread