It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2009, 12:06 PM   #1
(male)

phil5667 HB User
New member- synovial chondromatosis arthroscopy

Glad that I stumbled upon this site and found other posts about SC.

My knee started out with a spot on the front of the knee that hurt to the touch. I saw a doctor, had an MRI and I was told that this was possibly bursitis. I had two cortisone shot in the knee. The first one worked great and I was pain free for a little over a month. The second didn't work at all.

After becoming frustrated with continuing pain that was getting worse I decided to get a second opinion. At first they thought I had a meniscus issues, but second MRI showed no tear. My knee continued to get worse. More pain, walking with a limp, muscle spasms, and I was unable to put my knee flat on a table.

Fast forward a few months and I finally had an arthoscopy done on my knee about a week ago. The doctor removed a few hundred "loose bodies" from my knee. In the photos I was able to view my knee looked like it was packed full of these things.

My biggest question is about recovery. Right now my leg is very weak. I cannot tighten up my quad muscle or when I try to, you see barely anything happening. Has anyone else had major hamstring issues? My biggest worry is that I will never be able to straighten my knee normally and that I will have more issues with this leg.

Obviously after surgery I have P/T to do but I wanted to see how others are doing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-01-2009, 02:23 PM   #2
(female)

Mart16 HB UserMart16 HB UserMart16 HB User
Re: New member- synovial chondromatosis arthroscopy

Hi Phil-
I'm two months out from a TKR which was a direct result from SC. I'm doing well. The past few years have been very hard with many surgeries but I'm hopefull this is all behind me now.

I find it very interesting that you had two MRI's and they could not see the SC. I don't know why they didn't see it. That's cool that you got to see pictures of it. Now you know why your knee hurt.

One suggestion that worked well for me on strengthening your quad is to sit and push your knee down while trying to tighten the quad muscle. But at the same time do it with both knees and look at them. When I watched my good knee tighten it seemed to help my bad one too. PT told me to do this and it worked. Give it a try. I never had problems with my hamstrings though so can't give any advice on that. Also thought it was interesting you talked about muscle spasms. I had trouble with that also for years and now they have stopped. They stopped about 6 months after my last synovectomy and before my TKR. I don't know if it was related to SC or not. If you had them maybe there is a connection.

I'm still in PT for my TKR and my ROM is 122 flexion and 0 extension. Not quite up to the same numbers as my good leg but I still see improvements so I feel I'll get there or close too someday. So don't give up on that thought. I don't know if your knee will ever be the same but should be better and hopefully good enough. Just too early to tell if you'll have more problems. Let's hope not. The best to you and your recovery.
Martha

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-01-2009, 03:04 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User
Re: New member- synovial chondromatosis arthroscopy

Phil,

Hi, I've not had SC, but have a Degenerative Cartiledge Disease that has basically left my knees "bone on bone". I've had a total of 10 surgeries, 4 on the right and 6 on the left. The last being a reconstruction and tibial osteotomy on Aug. 25. I have PT 2 x week every week since 3 days post op and will continue through mid March. Interestly enough knee reconstruction takes longer to rehab then knee replacement. I have until May to get my leg strength up to par, because I'll be having my right leg done then. I'm not sure how often you're doing PT or how long you've been RX'd, but digging in and comitting to it, will determine how your hamstring and basic leg strength will respond. What the previous poster suggested regardin flattening your knee and tightening your quad is a great excercise. What I also do in PT is the same thing wile having the ECT machine on my leg, so that the electric current works as the same time that I'm workign my quad. You might ask your PT about it.

Good luck and work hard, and you should be able to get your leg back to where it was pre surgery.

Reply Reply