It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2009, 03:00 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

mrbojangle HB User
Total Hip Replacement

Has anyone ever had an infection in the area of the prosthesis after total hip replacement; the reason I'm asking, I had my teeth cleaned recently and I had to take antibiotics one hour before the procedure because the dentist said if there should be an infection, it would settle in the hip area.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User
Re: Total Hip Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbojangle View Post
Has anyone ever had an infection in the area of the prosthesis after total hip replacement; the reason I'm asking, I had my teeth cleaned recently and I had to take antibiotics one hour before the procedure because the dentist said if there should be an infection, it would settle in the hip area.
Hi Mr. bojangle:

I have never had an infection settle in my hip replacement area, but I too take an antibiotic before each dental appointment - even for just cleaning and exam. I think we all do! My dentist gave me a prescription after my last session - very handy. I will fill it before my next 6 month cleaning and exam.

The first prescription came from my regular MD. My understanding is that this will go on for several years at least.

Shirley H.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2009, 07:40 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

mrbojangle HB User

Hi Shirley H.
Thank you for your answer, My wife had a total knee rpl. 12 years ago and she still takes the antibiotics so we each get an order from our dentist each time we have our teeth cleaned.

The real reason for my posting:
I had my surgery in August and after therapy was doing fine when suddenly I couldn't put any weight on my operated leg; several ex-rays have shown nothing to indicate a problem with the prosthesis, we have tried steriod shots on two occasions plus another session of therapy, a series of excersises that I do twice a day, and now we are trying a two month period of walking with cane(sometimes I try without) but i can't walk without a limp. My wife(bless her, she has been such a faithful caregiver), our doctor, and I, have agreed to try this two month period since the next option would probably be further surgery and we want that to be the final option.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:57 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User

Hi mrbojangle:

What kind of shape is your other hip in? Could it be that it too needs replacement, and that is putting more stress on your operated hip? Just a thought...

Shirley H.

Last edited by Silver Swan; 01-06-2009 at 07:58 AM. Reason: typo

Old 01-06-2009, 08:14 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

mrbojangle HB User

Hi Shirley:
Initial ex-rays indicated no problem with my other hip, but it will certainly be something to mention to the doctor.
This has been such a trying time for us, especially my dear wife, it has not been a good quality of life.
We have been blessed with a wonderful and caring doctor who will spend all the time we want to ask questions and we remind him that we are not blaming him for any of this problem since he did explain the day before surgery that sometimes something developes that none of us has control over. We are relying on the power of prayer and patience!!!

Old 01-06-2009, 03:40 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

keil HB Userkeil HB Userkeil HB Userkeil HB User

He is right! I had my THR 5 years ago, I take antibiotics too, my dentist said he would prefer I take them everytime I see him the rest of my life.
Ken

Old 01-22-2009, 03:07 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

liverpool sue HB User

maybe there have been very few responses because there are thankfully very few people who have had infection in the hip area.
as for antibiotics when visiting the dentist, my dentist doesn't deem them necessary for a check-up and clean, only if i need treatment, which i so far haven't needed since my hip ops.

Closed Thread