It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2009, 03:59 AM   #1
(female)

englishdiamond2 HB User
Has any one had a full hip replacement at a young age?

Just after a bit of advise and support. I am due to have a hip replacement in a few months but I am only 26, just want to hear from others that have had it done at a young age to hear how you are coping with it post op?

Last edited by englishdiamond2; 01-11-2009 at 04:01 AM.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:47 AM   #2
(female)

tadpole1995 HB User
Re: Has any one had a full hipreplacement at a young age?

Hi,

I actually joined just to reply to this. I have Lupus and thus went on prednisone at the age of 14. A year later AVN led me to hip replacement. It sucks, but the good news is, at a young age you heal faster and with fewer complications. I don't remember how long it took to heal completely, but I do know that I was as good as new in a matter of months. Most of the time I don't even know I have them.

I had a revision (same thing except replacing the replacement, so even a tad more invasive) a couple of years ago, in late July (29th I think). By early September I was walking without even using an aid (cane, crutches, etc)...if still a bit carefully and slower. You probably still won't get the go ahead to drive by that time, especially with the right hip, but you can violate that rule in small doses.

I'm 31 and about to have another revision in 1 month. That's the other drawback to having it at a young age...they don't last. Mine have lasted about 15 years each and supposedly they are getting better so lasting longer. The only problem is every time you get them revised they take more and more bone away. I shudder to think what will happen when I have to go in for the next round...or the one after that.

If you have any other questions just let me know.

The Following User Says Thank You to tadpole1995 For This Useful Post:
QueenOkoro21 (05-04-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2009, 04:09 PM   #3
(female)

englishdiamond2 HB User

Thank you for that. I don't really know about your condition, but why exactly did you have to have it replaced. I have no movement in my hip now at all therefore I cannot do the basics like sit on the floor crossed legged or put my own sock on of tie my shoe lace and I just want to know if those things will be accomplished post op? Did you suffer with pain before the op and what was the comparison after?
Kindest regards

Old 01-18-2009, 08:49 PM   #4
(male)

nairb HB User
Re: Has any one had a full hip replacement at a young age?

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishdiamond2 View Post
Just after a bit of advise and support. I am due to have a hip replacement in a few months but I am only 26, just want to hear from others that have had it done at a young age to hear how you are coping with it post op?
I had an "ostiotomy" done on my left hip 11 years ago, due to arthritis and a denegerative bone disease. No orthopedic surgeon wanted to touch me at the age of 35 due to all the revisions and complications that COULD follow later on. The ostiotomy (google it) bought me 11 more years with my "original Parts" before I finally had a total hip put in just last week. In those 11 years everything has changed for the better-- parts, proceedures, recovery time and less revisions. Used to be high numbers of dislocations post op with the older parts. My ortho doc has only had one such case with the newer parts and that is because, "the patient was trying to see how far he could push it". You should be fine and may only need one revision in your lifetime.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:58 AM   #5
(female)

englishdiamond2 HB User

That sounds reassuring, It is a big thing for me to take in at the moment and stressing me out. I am so limited to things I can do due to my restriction in movement and the pain so this could be a whole lease of life but obviously there are risks. Well I hope your op went well and you are not in too much pain. Please would you let me know how your recovery goes?

Old 01-19-2009, 09:01 AM   #6
(male)

nairb HB User

I think that the hardest thing so far for me, (and possibly could be for yourself as well, since you are only 26), is trying NOT to do too much just out of surgery. For ME, I was w/o cartilage, making a "bone on bone" point of impact very painful. Once the pain of the THR surgery subsides, I should be virtually pain free. That is to say, free from the old pains. THR is a highly evasive surgery, and very physical. I'm not sure why you have such limited movement right now (or pain, for that matter), so it's hard to guess what ailments should be eleviated by surgery. You probably listed your condition and I just missed it or can't recall. I felt so good after leaving the hospital, that I was on my feet (crutch and/or cane aided) too much, and my leg swelled up to the point that I didn't recognize it. All my own fault. After spending several days on my back w/leg above me, the swelling is gone, pain is minimal, but range of movement HIGHLY limited. That should come back little by little, until it is equal to or better than before. Good luck, and stay positive.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:42 AM   #7
(female)

englishdiamond2 HB User

I dislocated my hip when I was 11 but it took them a while to realise what the problem was as all the pain if tranferred to my knee. Due to this, they were unable to put my hip completely fluss back into the socket and since then I have had to have corrective surgery on it to stop the wear and tear to make it last that little bit longer so I didn't have to have a hip replacement so soon. Due to all of this and the arthiritus has set in badly my movement is very minimal but I am hoping once they replace it I can start a fresh, and do simple thing like tie my own shoes. I had the same problem as you when I had my last op and being only 18 then I still wanted to go out drinking etc with my friends, it was meant to take 3 months to heal and took a year, so I have learnt from my mistake and will certainly take it easy this time round especially as we want to start a family soon, I want a little delay as possible. Thank you again for you time and would still be great if you could let me know how your recovery goes. Regards

Old 01-21-2009, 07:59 PM   #8
(female)

tadpole1995 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishdiamond2 View Post
Thank you for that. I don't really know about your condition, but why exactly did you have to have it replaced. I have no movement in my hip now at all therefore I cannot do the basics like sit on the floor crossed legged or put my own sock on of tie my shoe lace and I just want to know if those things will be accomplished post op? Did you suffer with pain before the op and what was the comparison after?
Kindest regards
I had AVN (avascular necrosis). Basically the round part of the hip socket had a lot of tiny little fractures so it felt like someone stabbing me with a dagger each time I took a step. I suppose your recovery may be impacted by why you had to have surgery in the first place.

Once the hip is replace I do know that I was able to do EVERYTHING I could before the pain ever started. I couldn't do splits before or anything so no difference there. But once you are fully healed you should be able to sit on the floor fine, tie shoes, put on a sock, etc. The only caveat is you'll have to be careful of which way you do it. Depending on how they put it in, you may be limited in which way you move your legs.

My incision was on the side so I can't move such as one would to buckle the side of an ankle strap on a shoe (if that makes sense), basically anything that might make it pop back out that way, especially soon after surgery. Imagine turning your knee in toward your other knee. Big no no.

They also suggest not crossing legs or sitting "Indian style" but I do that all the time and frankly find it very comfortable. Occasionally (especially in the first years after surgery) I'd get a weird feeling like it popped out for a second. But that was rare, and only had a minor weird feeling.

If you have the inicision in the back it's different. But my surgeon told me that it's not done too much anymore.

For me it was like a magic wand had been waved and all of a sudden I could live normally again, pain free. I hope it works out well for you. Once you recover, you'll most definitely notice the difference.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:21 AM   #9
(female)

neenz223 HB User

Like tadpole, I joined this board when I saw your post. I am 34 and had my right hip replaced at 27. It's the BEST thing I ever did. I got it done in 2002 and chronicled the whole bit so that when it's time for the next round I will remember the details of my surgery and post op recovery.

Quick run down- I had meningitis at 8 mos old and to stop the infection from spreading some of the cartilage had to be scraped out of my hip. My parents were told I would need a THR in my 40s but by the time I was in my mid 20s I was in horrific pain and for some time used a cane to get around. I was bone on bone but doctors would not work on me because at the time I was only 25. I came across this dr that would perform the surgery at 27 had the procedure. I always say it was the day I was reborn. PT was tough but almost 7 yrs later I am going to water aerobics 2x a week and jogging on the elliptical 2x a week for about 45 min. It truly is a blessing. Let me know how else I can help.

Old 02-18-2009, 12:52 PM   #10
(female)

firebusdriver HB User
Thumbs up Re: Has any one had a full hip replacement at a young age?

After reading the posts about hip replacement surgery for the past two months I finally decided to join today. Although I did not have THR so young....(i'm a baby boomer) you might find my recent experience helpful......I am, as of today, exactly one week post op and doing great..I did a lot of research on this site as well as others and decided that the anterior approach was the only way to go for me because I have always been extremely active and wanted to get back to normal asap.......I couldn't be happier so far......surgery was on Wednesday and I went home on Friday....going home required a 2 and a half hour car ride and it was no problem.......I have almost no restrictions due to the anterior approach and both legs are the same length.....I am walking with a cane with some occasional use of a walker.....so far I have had one in-home physical therapy viist and really have no specific exercises except some gentle stretching and as much walking as I can tolerate......use of pain medication is very minimal which is good since I don't tolerate opiate side effects like nausea very well......and last night i was able to sleep on the non surgical side with no discomfort.......I put off this surgery for a long time and I can honestly say now that I realize that wasn't necessary.......but I wanted to make sure that I was really ready to go through it and highly motivated.....and I am.......hope this helps

Old 02-18-2009, 01:22 PM   #11
(female)

neenz223 HB User

That's wonderful that you had successful surgery last week!

I agree with your post firebusdriver- positive attitude about the whole thing (surgery and recovery) is a must. You have to go into it really wanting it and knowing you'll go back to doing either all or almost all of your favorite activities. I think my desire to do normal things again was what helped me recover in a decent amount of time.

Old 02-18-2009, 02:23 PM   #12
(male)

dubW HB User

I am a candidate, but my O doc told me to try and hold off a few years. As long as the cortisone holds out I suppose I can.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:12 PM   #13
(female)

tuney33 HB User

I too had AVN avascular necrosis of my left hip following a road traffic accident where I had 22 beaks in my femurs. I put off having a full hip replacement until the pain was unbearable and I was unable to walk. I agree with everyone above - the replacement gave me a miraculous freedom from the overwhelming pain and gave me movement that I thought I would never regain ... although you do need to be careful of the dreaded dislocations. I had my replacement in July 2001 and the first 18 months were without incident. Then my foot slipped in the shower. The twist outwards dislocatd the hip to the front of the socket. OUCH is all I can say. The next time was the 2nd way that it can dislocate - out sidewards, caused by the levering force, if that makes sense. Once again, OUCH and a trip to hospital for relocation. Very frustrating.

Since then, it's been in and out several times and I've found that if it's the second type and I act quick enough, I can 'push' my knee outwards and it clunks back in with a teeth rattling noise.

I have to say that there isn't one second that I regret having the replacement even if it dislocates every 6 months or so but I wish that I had had the chance of BMP treatment first. I was 30 when I had the replacement btw.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:42 PM   #14
(male)

cgilson33 HB User

Like many of you i joined on here to join this thread...

It seems I am one of the luckier ones because I don't have an underlying disease causing my problems. Though this hasn't spared me from my share of surgeries.

I developed a simple bone cyst in the neck and head of my right femur (hip) causing me pain for about 4 years and eating away probably 80% of the head of my femur by the time i had it replaced. I initially had a surgery to try to save my hip but it was unsuccessful and ended up causing my femur to break (2nd surgery). After we noticed the cyst had come back and the bone graft didn't take. Surgery 3 was another attempt to save it, but an infection on the plate and screws placed when my femur broke inhibited the planned attack.

Finally a month after turning 23 I had it lopped of and replaced. This seemed to be the final answer but the prosthetic pushed down into my femur close to 2 inches. I think it happened because I did not take my time with a weakened bone (after not using it for nearly 9 months) However I did exactly as the doctor instructed and feel he should have known it would take more than 4 weeks to get the bone back to full strength.

Anyway, the good news... as I am actually a very positive person and have taken each surgery on expecting it to be my last...

I recently got with a new doctor who was willing to revise my hip. The shortened leg aside, I still had pain most every day, could not ride a bike, and could not abduct my leg more than about 3-5 degrees (the greater trocantar was basically pressed up against my outer pelvis stifling any motion outwards.)
I had this done last week! Feb 23, 2009.
He was able to lengthen my leg to within .5 in and though I cannot yet freely move my leg in every direction, the change is already greatly noticed. I can tell that I will be able to move my leg a lot better as soon as I heal up.

I am 24 now. I am a former college athlete and want to be able to exercise and play without pain or worry. Though I really just want to be able to play basketball again I doubt that will ever happen, I am extremely pleased so far with my results.
With my fingers crossed, I am going to take my recovery very slowly, but hopefully after 12 weeks I'll be able to ride a bike and swim and longboard, I can't wait for this summer now!

Anyone else with these THRs at a young age playing basketball now? any sports?

Last edited by cgilson33; 03-04-2009 at 01:43 PM.

Old 03-05-2009, 05:38 AM   #15
Inactive
(male)

tfl HB User

i have a cousin that got his first THR at 28. he was in the rodeo's in the western U.S. To make a long story short, he continued the rodeo thing until he was 47. HOWEVER, he is now on his 7th THR and has retired from the rodeo. so......i recon it comes down to: How bad do you want to play basketball?

Closed Thread