It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2009, 04:42 PM   #1
(female)

WindieOne HB User
How Long on Crutches After THR?

Just trying to get an idea of how long people are staying on crutches after THR? Anyone use a walker instead?

Thanks.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:57 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Larimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB User
Re: How Long on Crutches After THR?

My surgeon doesn't recommend crutches usually. He had me start with a walker. I used it for about three weeks. By the third week, I could walk pretty well inside without it but was too timid to go outside without it. Week 4 was doing cane most places except the dog park--walker was more stable and the bouncing dogs stayed away from it. (Dogs seem to like to jump on me.) Used cane for another 4 weeks just really for stability and/or for when I was really tired. Maggie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2009, 09:32 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User

Hi WindieOne:

Like Maggie, I too had only the walker after my right hip replacement. Crutches were never mentioned. I still use my walker when getting up at night because I don't want to risk tripping over my cat. I take a cane along when I go out shopping, just in case - especially now, in our MN winter when there can be slippery surfaces after a snowfall.

You might want to ask your hip surgeon which he recommends - crutches or walker. My walker has wheels in front. That is the kind to get because without wheels it would have to be lifted with every step. (I love my walker - can really zip along using it.)

My sister used crutches with her two hip replacements, about 10 years ago. But she also had had back surgery and that might have been the reason. And also had a different hip surgeon -lives in another state.

Shirley H.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:37 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

liverpool sue HB User

i have two resurfaced hips (slightly different i know) and was on crutches for 6 weeks with each one. i don't think it's usual to use crutches after a thr, certainly the people i know of personally here in engand have all come out of hospital using two sticks after a thr. i graduated to two sticks after the 6 weeks on crutches, then to 1 stick after another few weeks. then up and running (well, maybe not quite running) all by myself a few weeks later!

Old 01-18-2009, 04:46 AM   #5
(female)

WindieOne HB User

So, as for aids I should have for after my THR, I need to pick up a walker (I've got crutches and a cane from a previous surgery), sock donner, reacher/grabber, raised toilet seat, long handled shoe horn, dressing stick... Is there anything else I really should get?

Old 01-18-2009, 08:06 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User

WindieOne:

I used a "leg lifter" for quite a while in my recovery - for lifting the operated leg into, and out of bed - and then later, into, and out of my car when I started driving again. It is a wonderful aid and I am so glad that I bought one. I highly recommend it.

Another great help to me were the short grab bars for the head of my bed - one on each side -to enable getting out of either side of the bed. These are very sturdy and well made, with "legs" that go under the mattress, making them very stable. For the longest time, I did not have the upper body strength to get out of bed without them. They also help in lying down. I ordered both the leg lifter and the grab bars from a local medical supply store. I am so glad I learned about all my "aids" on the Internet. I am going to have the other hip replaced before too long now, and am so happy that I already own all these aids and know how everything goes with recovery and rehab! The next hip replacement will be easier.

Shirley H.

Last edited by Silver Swan; 01-18-2009 at 08:07 AM.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:08 AM   #7
(female)

WindieOne HB User

I love taking tub baths - how long before I get to do that again post THR?

Old 01-19-2009, 04:50 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

liverpool sue HB User

shirley, as well as already having the aids and knowing all about rehab, i think you're better prepared mentally for the second hip - i certainly was. my sister likened it to having a baby - the first one you're totally in the dark about actually giving birth and then taking care of it, the second one virtually brings itself up and you're far more relaxed about the whole thing! i think this is a good comparison.
my first hip, i was terrified of doing something wrong and ending up crippled for the rest of my life, or getting a blood clot, or not waking from the anaesthetic, etc., etc. the second one was just 'well, bring it on, let's get it over and done with and let me get on with my life'.

sue

Old 01-19-2009, 05:40 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sue:

Thanks for the reassurance!

Shirley H.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:26 PM   #10
(female)

WindieOne HB User

Hey Shirley, have you been able to take tub baths since your THR?

Closed Thread