It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2009, 01:21 PM   #1
(male)

lakerswiz HB User
19 years old with Osgood Schlatter's

To preface I'll just say I currently don't have health insurance so this hasn't been checked out by a doctor, which is basically why I'm here.

I'm pretty sure that I have Osgood Schlatter's though. I've seen pictures and diagrams and read a bunch of stuff online about it and it's all matching up.

Now I'm just curious because I play basketball alot. The first time I noticed this was after playing outdoors on some concrete and that gave me bad pain for a day or two. That was months and months ago back in August. I've played since then through pain and without it. About a month ago I was playing everday with no pain at all. I played for about 3 weeks straight just fine. I was getting a little bit higher on my jumping also.

Well I got a viral infection about a week and a half ago and had to take some time out from basketball. I played last Wednesday after about a week of not playing and the pain was excruciating. I could hardly sleep and getting up out of bed, into my car, out of my car, etc was VERY painful.

Is this normal? For it to go away and then just come back so bad? I mean I love basketball and it's my life so I'm going to do what I need to do so I can play, but if it stays in the same shape that my knees are in now I won't be able to play again and that's pretty scary for me right now.

Also everything I've read talked about 15-16 years getting it primarily. I'm a bit older, is this normal? Also, I had some friends when I was in high school get it and they sat out from the season, but they grew 4-5 inches each once the pain and bumps went away. Could I just be in a late growth spurt? As a basketball player I'm REALLY hoping for this and if I grow 3-4 inches then this pain has all been worth it, but I haven't grown much if at all since August when I first noticed the pain.

Thanks
-Travis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2009, 07:07 PM   #2
(female)

Rita27 HB User
Re: 19 years old with Osgood Schlatter's

Hi Travis, it could be just from overuse. You really should check with a doctor. Don't your parents have medical insurance?

In the meantime, try taking about 3 Advil and icing the knees after basketball. You have to be careful with self-diagnosing.

Closed Thread