It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2009, 08:47 AM   #1
(female)

dodgyknee HB User
Just had Synvisc One injection in right knee

Hi,

Can anyone help me? Last week I had three syringes full of Synvisc One injected into my right knee.
It did hurt a bit, but nothing like I was expecting. Over the last few days, the pain in my knee seems to be getting worse and my knee seems to be locking!!
I have heard of the three separate injections being given a week apart, but I think this is a new procedure, especially here in UK.
I have Grade 3 Osteoarthritis in my right knee, and was wondering if anyone else has had this procedure and what I might expect from it?????
Be glad to hear from anyone about anything to do with this or anything to do with help with the pain from the Osteoarthritis.
Hope to hear from you soon.

Last edited by dodgyknee; 02-17-2009 at 08:48 AM. Reason: spelling mistake

Old 04-07-2009, 11:04 AM   #2
(female)

mranellone88 HB User
Re: Just had Synvisc One injection in right knee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgyknee View Post
Hi,

Can anyone help me? Last week I had three syringes full of Synvisc One injected into my right knee.
It did hurt a bit, but nothing like I was expecting. Over the last few days, the pain in my knee seems to be getting worse and my knee seems to be locking!!
I have heard of the three separate injections being given a week apart, but I think this is a new procedure, especially here in UK.
I have Grade 3 Osteoarthritis in my right knee, and was wondering if anyone else has had this procedure and what I might expect from it?????
Be glad to hear from anyone about anything to do with this or anything to do with help with the pain from the Osteoarthritis.
Hi dodgyknee,

I'm 20 years old and I am going in for my third Synvisc injection tomorrow. I don't have Osteoarthritis but I had a partial menisectomy and lateral release done on my knee back in October of 2008. The surgery was successful but after months and months of physical therapy, I reached a point where I wasn't getting any better, so my doctor is trying the Synvisc. So far (I've had two injections) my knee is feeling ok, not great. I'd like to say that the Synvisc is working but I'm not really sure. I also haven't had my final injection and I believe patients don't see the full benefit of Synvisc till after their third injection. My doctor told me 85% of patients see relief but then again most of them have Osteoathritis and are much older than I am. From looking at other posts on this site I have seen a lot of positive responses to Synvisc, especially those with Osteoathritis. So for you case, it seems these injections will help you! I just may be a strange case . I hope this helped atleast a little bit.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2009, 01:18 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

I had both Hyalgan and Synvisc injections. Tried one in each knee to see which worked better. The first Synvisc injection was not too bad but after the second one we had to travel 500 miles to a wedding and as soon as the wedding was over my husband had to rush me back home to have it all drained out. My knee swelled up to the size of a watermelon. Rheumatologist removed almost 40cc's of fluid.

You can have an adverse reaction to anything and you just might be starting to have a reaction to Synvisc. If the pain keeps getting wore, call your doc. You may need to have it drained and cortisone put in to calm the joint. I could take Hyalgan with no problems but not Synvisc. They are very similar but the slight difference made all the difference with me.

Good luck. I hope things slowly get better but at least if you can't take Synvisc, you might be able to take Hyalgan.

Jenny

Old 04-08-2009, 08:32 PM   #4
(male)

DW123 HB User

I have had 5 injections each of hyalgan in my right and left knees can anyone tell me how long this treatment will last. It really has helped me.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:21 PM   #5
(male)

deezden HB User

Quote:
Hi,

Old 01-13-2010, 12:29 PM   #6
(male)

deezden HB User

I had my first one yesterday,it hurt a bit,my job entails lots of walking in the plant knee was soar all day,didn't sleep well,called doctor told me to keep it elevated and stay out of work till 1-19-10. that was my first shot next one is set for 6:00an on 1-19-10.I asked him about 2nd shot,told me to call him in friday to see how knee is doing.I don't want to go thru this 2 more times

Old 02-15-2010, 11:57 AM   #7
(male)

tvance22 HB User

Hi Dodgyknee,
Did I hear you right, you had 3 injections in a single week?
if you did you need to educate your doctor. In the states they are given 2 weeks apart totaling 3 shots over a six week period.
If you were given 3 shots in a week it is no wonder you are hurting.
You basically have 90 MG's of synovial fluid in your knee that aloneand that should make it swollen and tender. The good news is that it won't kill you and that over time it will reduce in size.

Old 04-18-2010, 04:51 PM   #8
(female)

awhyte HB User

I have had regular Synvisc in both knees many times with no problems. On Friday afternoon, I had Sunvisc-One injections in both knees. By Saturday morning, I couldn't walk. It's Sunday evening, my knees are twice their normal size. My orthopedic surgeon is out of state and wants me to go to the emergency room for blood tests to gauge the "allergic" reaction, if any, and possibly get the fluid drained out of my knees.

I can't walk without great difficulty. I am in serious pain. This is not what I had expected.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:28 AM   #9
(female)

arizonaknees HB User

Be careful with these injections. I had the series three times, each a year apart. First two times I got relief, third time I had an allergic reaction and ended up in the hospital with blood clots in my leg and lung - almost died. Not trying to scare you but if you get a lot of swelling and fever, get right to the ER. Seems you can develop an allergic reaction any time and instead of telling me to go to ER, my orthopedic surgeon gave me vicodin and told me to elevate my leg! I would not recommend the injections, would rather have knees replaced!

Old 08-22-2010, 08:10 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

jerseyboy HB Userjerseyboy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonaknees View Post
Be careful with these injections. I had the series three times, each a year apart. First two times I got relief, third time I had an allergic reaction and ended up in the hospital with blood clots in my leg and lung - almost died. Not trying to scare you but if you get a lot of swelling and fever, get right to the ER. Seems you can develop an allergic reaction any time and instead of telling me to go to ER, my orthopedic surgeon gave me vicodin and told me to elevate my leg! I would not recommend the injections, would rather have knees replaced!
I guess we each have a different reaction. I have had the series of 3 and the new Synvisc One, multiple times on both legs prior to TKR and never had anything but success. Sadly the cartlidge deterioraited to the point the shots no longer helped.

I highly recommend Synvisc One to anyone!
Right TKR 3-31-10
Left TKR 7-7-10

Old 08-28-2010, 10:07 PM   #11
(female)

moomadre HB User

I had 3 injections, each a week apart. Unfortunately, I did not benefit from them at all. I have not heard of 3 syringes at a time, but could be new approach. I ended up with total knee replacement cause I was bone on bone. It's been 3 months and so far so good. It's just slow going and takes time and work to recover. Don't give up, hang in there

Old 09-08-2011, 07:01 PM   #12
(female)

peachcream59 HB User

Quote:
Hi,

Old 09-08-2011, 07:02 PM   #13
(female)

peachcream59 HB User

I'm having my third injectiom 9/12/2011, it feel better.

Old 09-09-2011, 04:13 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

jerseyboy HB Userjerseyboy HB User

Synvisc is a series of three shots, usually given a week or so apart. I have had this series of shots several times with good results.

Synvisc One, as the name implys, is a single shot! Not a series of shots. I have had Synvisc One several times as well, with excellent results.

If your doctor has given you 3 shots of Snyvisc One in the same knee within a week, I would say you need to immediately find a new doctor and sue this one for malpractice!
Right TKR 3-31-10
Left TKR 7-7-10

Old 12-05-2012, 12:47 PM   #15
(male)

djtorchman HB User

Quote:
Hi,

That is funny you brought up the 1X treatment of Synvisc versus the 3X treatment of Euflexxa which is what I got. I asked my doctor WHY do I need to come back 2 additional times for the Euflexxa (hence 3 co-payments of $50/ea. under my current health insurance in the States)? Synvisc is only a 1X treatment and he told me he's not a big fan of the 1X treatment because it's best to administer in stages to allow each treatment to work into the joint. I can certainly understand because the 1st shots I received in each knee (48 hrs ago) was discomforting at first. However, here I am 48 hrs later and I'm feeling much better. I believe after shots 2 (next Monday) and shots 3 (the following Monday) will make my knees feel 100% better. I not even feeling much of my arthritis as I normally feel with just the first round of shots. Hope that helps...good luck in your treatment.

Reply Reply