It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2009, 06:21 PM   #1
(female)

bug1 HB User
THR - How long before I can return to gym?

Just wondering how long it could be before I return to the gym. I have an appt. with OS Wednesday for four week follow up and will discuss it then, but until then just curious about everyone else. What did you do when you returned to gym? I would think it would be a while for treadmill, but curious about eliptical, swimming and weights.

Thanks for any info or insight.

Kim

Old 03-07-2009, 04:45 AM   #2
(female)

pearl2816 HB User
Re: THR - How long before I can return to gym?

I could go back to the swimming pool after one month from my surgery. At first time i was really afraid to use my leg but it was really ok in the water. I didn't swim but i just walked. My doctor adviced me to start walking in the water which would be a lot of excercise without spending lots of energy. After starting walking, I could feel I was getting better day by day. And after another month I started to go to the gym.
You can try it now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2009, 05:46 AM   #3
(female)

bug1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearl2816 View Post
I could go back to the swimming pool after one month from my surgery. At first time i was really afraid to use my leg but it was really ok in the water. I didn't swim but i just walked. My doctor adviced me to start walking in the water which would be a lot of excercise without spending lots of energy. After starting walking, I could feel I was getting better day by day. And after another month I started to go to the gym.
You can try it now.

Thanks! I am hoping the OS gives me the ok on Wednesday to try the pool. Any kind of exercise (besides the therapy....I don't even break a sweat!) at this point would be welcomed!

Kim

Old 03-12-2009, 08:54 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

milksnake HB User

I had a THR 23 days ago. Been doing all the exercises they gave me to do on my own. I live in a small town to far away from the city for them to send a PT to my home. Went for a check-up last monday and got the staples removed and got an x-ray. Doc said everything looks fine and graduated me to a cane. I asked him about an exercise bike and he said as long as it was one of them that sit low and you can lean back in. He also said to set it at no resistance and make sure i didn't bring my leg up to the 90 degrees. I also have one of those total gym machines and asked him if I could get on there and do upper body exercises. He saw no problem with that. I forgot to ask about the treadmill tho. Has anyone been able to use a treadmill after 23 days?

I have a question for anyone who might be in the same time frame as me concerning the pain. Seems I'm ok sitting in the recliner, doing the exercises, and walking around during the day. Then comes bed time. I've been taking an over the counter sleep aid called Alteril, a combination of herbs, that works really well. However, in the morning when I get out of bed, the hip hurts like a son-of-a-gun. I'm able to walk around for a while and then the pain eases up. Does anyone else hurt worse first thing in the morning?

Old 03-13-2009, 05:06 AM   #5
(female)

bug1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by milksnake View Post
I had a THR 23 days ago. Been doing all the exercises they gave me to do on my own. I live in a small town to far away from the city for them to send a PT to my home. Went for a check-up last monday and got the staples removed and got an x-ray. Doc said everything looks fine and graduated me to a cane. I asked him about an exercise bike and he said as long as it was one of them that sit low and you can lean back in. He also said to set it at no resistance and make sure i didn't bring my leg up to the 90 degrees. I also have one of those total gym machines and asked him if I could get on there and do upper body exercises. He saw no problem with that. I forgot to ask about the treadmill tho. Has anyone been able to use a treadmill after 23 days?

I have a question for anyone who might be in the same time frame as me concerning the pain. Seems I'm ok sitting in the recliner, doing the exercises, and walking around during the day. Then comes bed time. I've been taking an over the counter sleep aid called Alteril, a combination of herbs, that works really well. However, in the morning when I get out of bed, the hip hurts like a son-of-a-gun. I'm able to walk around for a while and then the pain eases up. Does anyone else hurt worse first thing in the morning?
Thanks for the reply. I went to the dotor Wed. for my four week follow up and was told I can goto gym and do eliptical, treadmill, weights, etc. He told me I am off restrictions too as my bone has already fused with new hip. Very good news!

Sorry about your morning pain. I still feel a little stiff when I first wake up in the morning. Does it ease up after you move around?

Kim

Old 03-13-2009, 08:46 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

milksnake HB User

I believe I found the problem I had with feeling more pain first thing in the morning. Slept in a different bed last night. Hip felt fine this morning.

Old 03-14-2009, 05:42 AM   #7
(female)

pearl2816 HB User

Glad that u have good news. You progress quite fast toward recovering it. I can't forget the first day when i went back to the gym after my hard surgery. I was full of happiness. I thought i couldn't have any chances to do exercise again cuz i had really hard time while i was in surgery and recovery. Stay healthy.

Old 03-14-2009, 06:12 AM   #8
(female)

pearl2816 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by milksnake View Post

I used a treadmill 2 months after my surgery. After four weeks of my surgery I asked my doc I could use treadmill which I had at home and easy to exercise with but he said it's too early for me to use it because it could be a big impact for the new hip . Instead he recommended me to swim(walk is more helpful) at the pool for a couple of weeks. After two months, I used treadmill with a very slow speed not to give lots of impact on my hip.

Old 03-14-2009, 06:33 AM   #9
Inactive
(male)

milksnake HB User

thanks pearl....

Old 03-14-2009, 04:26 PM   #10
(female)

bug1 HB User

My doctor actually released me on Wednesday (4 weeks since THR) and he said I could resume exercise. I used the eliptical on Friday and today for 25 minutes. All's well. No pain, just a little low back pain. i am going to try swimming tomorrow.

Thanks for the info. Hope everybody is doing well.

Kim

Closed Thread