It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2009, 01:13 PM   #1
(female)

nikki1979uk HB User
advice for hip replacement please

hi, i am brand new here, i have been serching the net for some anwers, maybe you guys and gal can help.

i am nearly 30, and in 4 months i am going for hip replacement, i had congenital hip displaysia from birth and i now have arthritus.

i have been on crutches for 5 years now, so i think it could be the right time.

i have few questions i hope you can help me with.

1, i know the recovery time is different for everyone, but what is the general up and about time for people.

2, i know there are lots of risks, non worry me too much apart from dislocation, how easy does it happen and do i have to have surgery every time?

3, i have rad that you cant bend too much, or twist, or run, or cycle, but do these beome easier over time, can i eventually bend down to pick something up, or is it forever using my grab stick

4 last but not least, and its kind of embarrasing, but what about sex, is it possible, or do you have to do anything different

i hope you can help,

kind regards
nikki

Old 03-17-2009, 11:09 PM   #2
(female)

Red wagon 1966 HB User
Re: advice for hip replacement please

Dear nikki
If you go through all the posts and replies on this board, you will find a lot of answers to your questions. I was diagnosed with a congenital hip defect at 2 1/2 years old. I had two hip reconstruction operations at three. I missed a third operation at 7,(it's a long story). The operation I missed may have prevented my hip from becoming severely deformed by the time I was 33. When I was 33 in 1997, I had a total hip replacement. I had a lot of complications because they had to remove a plate,(it was designed to grow with me)and it had been grown over with 1/8th inch of bone. It had to be removed because it was in the way of where they needed to drill for the prosthesis rod.
I also needed my hip socket to be built up because it was too shallow for for the replacement socket to fit on. My replacement has wire wrapped around the rod area so they could hold in place the bone they put back after they removed the plate. I have had my replacement for 12 years. I have never experienced it becoming dislocated. Others on this board have. My suggestion to you would be to research the types of replacement hardware there is out there and see which one has the best results.
Have you looked at your hip x-ray with your doctor. Have you discussed whether it will be a straight forward replacement or are there complications that may require reconstruction work before they can put it in? Is your hip severely deformed? being on crutches for five years is a long time is it because of the pain or is it because it just wont work right.
If your replacement is straight forward, and make sure they are not skimping(not doing reconstruction work when they should because that could make a difference on how well everything stays put), the operation should take no more than 2 hours. You should be able to get around on a walker or crutches by the next day in the hospital. The hospital stay varies, but I was in for 4 days.On this board you will find answers to how long it will take to walk without crutches or a cain. The 90 degree angle restriction is not permanent it might be taken off at around 4 weeks or sooner depending. REad the posts. As far as sex goes, after the doctor takes the restrictions off it will be as good or bad as it ever was. The only thing I can think of is embarrassment of the scar. There are products out there that are suppose to diminish scaring,I haven't tried them. I would not recommend getting a tattoo because it may interfere with further operations. However body paint or a fake one you stick on might do.LOL. Anyway after being on crutches so long it will feel good to walk again even run. You will run again. The only thing is that it may take longer if your muscles have gotten weak. Do you exercise? Being young you will probably need a parts upgrade on your replacement as it wears out. ASk questions on how they do that and what improvements they are developing. I forgot to and I am going to ask them in April when I see him. I just didn't want to think about it at the time.
Also ask if the good hip will wear out too. My good hip is now my bad hip. I may need a replacement for it too, but if I do,it will be a much easier operation.
I know this is getting long, But my son just saw my board name and thought it was really strange. There is a story to it, so if anyone was curious I'll tell it here as briefly as I can. When I was three after my reconstruction operation I was in a cast that started around my waist like a pair of pants and covered my whole left leg and part of my right. It was 1966 and I was too small for a wheel chair and they didn't have a lot of choice in strollers so they hauled me around in a red wagon. I went to my uncles wedding like that and the photographer didn't want to take my picture because I had a big
belly( it was the cast) and I was too pathetic looking for a wedding picture.
My mother had a fight with him and he ended up taking a picture. Every time I see that picture I remember the hateful glare I gave him. After all I wanted was to go home because I didn't feel like I belonged there. but I had to wait for someone to drag me home.
my early hip story.

Red wagon 1966

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2009, 05:02 AM   #3
(female)

bug1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki1979uk View Post
hi, i am brand new here, i have been serching the net for some anwers, maybe you guys and gal can help.

i am nearly 30, and in 4 months i am going for hip replacement, i had congenital hip displaysia from birth and i now have arthritus.

i have been on crutches for 5 years now, so i think it could be the right time.

i have few questions i hope you can help me with.

1, i know the recovery time is different for everyone, but what is the general up and about time for people.

2, i know there are lots of risks, non worry me too much apart from dislocation, how easy does it happen and do i have to have surgery every time?

3, i have rad that you cant bend too much, or twist, or run, or cycle, but do these beome easier over time, can i eventually bend down to pick something up, or is it forever using my grab stick

4 last but not least, and its kind of embarrasing, but what about sex, is it possible, or do you have to do anything different

i hope you can help,

kind regards
nikki
Hi Nikki,

I had my right hip replaced 5 weeks ago. I am doing so much better than I ever though.

1. Recovery time: It does differ for everyone. I was at work and back to the gym at 4 weeks. No problems. At the gym I am doing 20-25 minutes on eliptical or 45 minutes of swimming. I also do weights in conjunction with the cardio. No pain, I am just careful.

2. No problems with dislocation.

3. I used my picker to pick things up off the floor for the first few weeks. I was taken of all restrictions at 4 weeks. I now am able to do everything I could do before the surgery. The only thing that is still difficult is tying my shoe and putting sock on right foot.

4. Sex is no problem (at least my husband doesn't complain) They gave me a booklet in the hospital that shows different positions; however, I just wing it and don't do anything that feels it is putting the new hip in jeopardy.

Hope this helps. This board has a lot of valuable information.

Kim

Old 04-11-2009, 04:52 PM   #4
(female)

CPCruizer HB User

I am also new to this board.

I have been living with knee pain for several years now. Due to a car accident 3 decades ago.
Drs told me that I was too young to have a knee replacement.
Had shots and PT. Nothing eased the pain.

In March, I started to experience severe pain in the hip area.
I was told that I need a THR & TKR. I was in shock.
I thought the pain in the hip was due to me limping and throwing my back out of whack.

I am now scheduled to have the THR in May. Not sure when the knee will be done.

I read that there are assist aides, supplies that I should buy.
Gripper, walker, and something that helps put on socks.
Not sure what else I'll need.
Any advice on what I should buy and do before surgery would be great.
Just wondering would insurance cover it or do I have to buy it myself?

Old 04-12-2009, 01:24 PM   #5
(male)

eugenep13 HB User

Dear Nikki,

it is definitely not forever!

My mother had her hip replacement at the age of 70 after breaking her hip as a result of a fall.
It was also complicated by ostheoporosis (spelling?). And she is fine considering her age.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:08 AM   #6
(female)

nikki1979uk HB User

thank you all so much for answering.

i was so daunted trying to find the questions, i was getting more worried with the stories that i just thought i would ask.

and thanks to redwagon, i now have a ton of questions for my doctor, i didnt think about my good hip going bad,
i had one of the same casts as you redwagon, but i was in 1979 and my mom had a funky silver something pram, a really posh one (she found it in a skip)

and thanks for answring the sex question, i tried asking my doc, but he just blushed and said "of course you can" which didnt fill me with cofidence

Old 04-13-2009, 01:33 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

liverpool sue HB User

nikki, it would have been a silver cross pram - creme de la creme of prams!
i'm 56 and have 2 resurfaced hips, and believe you me, sex is not a problem. you just get a little more experimental about it, which all adds to the fun. best of luck.

sue

Old 04-13-2009, 06:12 AM   #8
(female)

WindieOne HB User

CPCruizer, don't forget to pick up a raised seat for your toilet. For me, I just had my right hip done on March 30th, the raised seat with the right side cut out, was the best purchase I made for my recovery, it really has made those trips to the bathroom much more comfortable. I've gotten a lot of use out of the reacher and dressing stick also... Good luck with your surgery.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:59 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindieOne View Post
CPCruizer, don't forget to pick up a raised seat for your toilet. For me, I just had my right hip done on March 30th, the raised seat with the right side cut out, was the best purchase I made for my recovery, it really has made those trips to the bathroom much more comfortable. I've gotten a lot of use out of the reacher and dressing stick also... Good luck with your surgery.
Hi cruiser:

I have a toilet seat raiser with side arms. I recommend that for easiest seating and rising up! The seat can be raised just like a regular toilet seat, so can be used by men, too.

Shirley H.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:49 PM   #10
(female)

CPCruizer HB User

Thanks WindieOne and Silver Swan

I will definitely get one.

I have another question -

I'm concerned about clothing and dressing.
Would you recommend me buying house dresses?
I know, sounds old fashion, but I have no idea
how I'm going to wear pants.
Pulling up and down. Getting my let through.
Should I be concerned about what type of clothes to wear?
Any suggestions?

Old 04-16-2009, 07:40 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User

Hi again Cruizer:

I am a woman, and wear slacks and tops all the time - have for decades. I hope you have a "grabber"! Use this to lower underpants to the floor, then use grabber to arrange each leg opening to allow your foot to go through. Use grabber to pull up the underpant. So easy to do this. (
do the same with slacks.)Then in reverse, use your dressing stick (if you don't have one, get one - they are so needed) to push off slacks and underpants from your feet, then use grabber to pick up each one and put on the bed or dresser, whatever you use when undressing. I undress while sitting on the bed. All this will be awkward at first, but you will soon be an expert at handling the grabber and dressing stick. Both are essential to dress and undress yourself without help after hip surgery.

I have quite an investment in dressing aids, but they are worth every cent. I purchased some from the Internet companies and some from a local medical supply company, while I was in the rehab facility, which was just down the street from the medical supply company. Dressing aids can be purchased in "kits" on the Internet but I bought mine one by one. Also you will need a sock donner, long handled shoe horn, maybe elastic shoe laces, and definitely a leg lifter. If your doctor wants you to wear TEDs at home, they can be put on easily with the sock donner - get the hard plastic model.

I live alone, being a widow, and everything is up to me to accomplish. I haven't had any problems dressing or navigating! Also I am 79 years old. So if I can manage alone, just about anyone can. The more you can do for yourself, the faster your recovery. Walking a lot is a great help. You can do this around your home, interspersed with lying down and sitting down. Don't sit down for too long at a time - it makes you stiff. Staying in one position for too long will do this. Vary your positions through the day and maybe also get up at night.

Shirley H.

Last edited by Silver Swan; 04-16-2009 at 07:42 AM. Reason: add sentence

Old 04-16-2009, 09:27 AM   #12
(female)

WindieOne HB User

CPCruizer,

Since my surgery 2 weeks ago, I have been wearing night shirts and sweat pants. Personally, I prefer the night shirts - they're easier when you have to go to the bathroom (which seems to be all the time); pulling the sweat pants up and over my tender incision (12" long) was a little painful. Another thing you will want is a pair of comfortable shoes that are easy to slip in and out of but, make sure they are closed around the heel so they don't fall off your feet unexpectedly.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:45 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi WindieOne:

When I was at the rehab facility for 2 weeks, I wore street clothes because had to be around others during therapy sessions and meals. The clothes did not seem to bother my incision, which of course was covered with a bandage.

When I got home, I switched to a duster at night, with no underpants to make bathroom visits easy and fast. During the day I did have to wear street clothes, anyway, long enough to do down and get my mail.

It doesn't matter what we wear, just so it works for us.

Shirley H.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:11 AM   #14
(female)

CPCruizer HB User

Shirley

Thanks for your great advice.

As for the products you mentioned.
You purchased yours singularly.
Have you found one product better than the other?
There are several different styles to choose from,
I just don't know which one works the best.

I looked at "hip kits" as well.
Wondering if buying items this way, the equipment would be "low" end quality.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:50 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPCruizer View Post
Shirley

Thanks for your great advice.

As for the products you mentioned.
You purchased yours singularly.
Have you found one product better than the other?
There are several different styles to choose from,
I just don't know which one works the best.

I looked at "hip kits" as well.
Wondering if buying items this way, the equipment would be "low" end quality.

Hi Cruizer:

Definitely get the sock donner that is a half cylinder tube made of hard plastic. I think that has to be the most effective model. Has a cord on each side to pull up the plastic thingie with your foot inside. Just reach down and push off the cylinder when sock is all the way up to where you want it.

Also, maybe get a metal shoe horn - I got a plastic one initially but was worried that it might break at some point. Elastic shoe laces great on my oxford style shoes. Loafers would be great but I don't have any.

I think a leg lifter is a blessing for lifting your operated leg in and out of bed, and car seat. I couldn't have gotten along without it. Didn't have it when in the rehab center and had to ring for help to get up. I was able to dispense with this leg lifter before too long, but so glad I had it.

I love the dressing stick - great for pushing off sockies, socks, panties, slacks.

I purchased very strong grab bars for each side of my bed and still use them. Grab bars have "legs" that fit under the mattress. Very secure. I also could not have gotten along without them. They work better than the rails on the hospital bed at the rehab center.

I couldn't get along without any of my aids! I still use them. Although I am allowed to bend down to the floor, with my other hip needing replacing, that hurts. So why be a Hero. That will improve with time.

I have two grabbers - one more sturdy than the other. I use that one to pick up the daily newspaper left outside my apt. door. The Sunday paper, I use my long handled dustpan and broom to get the paper in the dustpan, and then carefully lift the dustpan up to get the paper. This takes skill but you get on to it. You know how heavy those Sunday papers are.

I don't know the quality of the items in the hip kits, but I ordered some of mine from a catalog from a nearby medical supply store. There were pictures and I was very impressed with the quality of everything. The items I ordered on the Internet also showed pictures and I was impressed with them. I have not been dissatisfied with any of my equipment purchases. Shipping is rather expensive, but everything is worth the costl

I bought two toilet risers even before I had the hip replaced because I was already having troubling sitting and rising. I got one with arms and the other with no arms. Thought that one looked less clinical for the "guest bathroom". I also had grab bars installed in my shower stall. Never used a bath chair. Didn't really need one.

Shirley H.

Closed Thread