It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2009, 02:28 PM   #1
(female)

Shelby_36 HB User
severe pain in my knee when I \'ve been sitting.

I'm a 41 year old female, average weight. Lately I've been having problems with my knee and I thought maybe someone here could help me figure out what to do.

Lately when I sit and cross my legs (sometimes when I don't cross them) and sit for a while... Well it was only when I sat for an extended time- like in a theather.... Now its after just sitting on the couch for 10 minutes. My left knee hurts so bad. When I stand I can barely bend at the knee and walking down stairs is nearly impossible. After I move around for 5 -10 minutes it feels better and it never just hurts for no reason. Only right after I stand up (or extend it)

I am not a sports person and I didn;t injure it. I don't have a physically difficult job, I'm a teacher.

Any idea what this could be, whether it is something to be concerned about, or should I just take Naprosen and realize I'm getting old?

Old 03-26-2009, 03:24 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

ozfan79 HB Userozfan79 HB Userozfan79 HB User
Re: severe pain in my knee when I \'ve been sitting.

It may be chondromalacia patellae, which is softening of the cartilage under the kneecap. I have had this condition for three years. It is very painful. You may want to go to your dr. The dr can schedule you for physical therapy to strengthen your leg muscles. This can help take the pressure off your kneecap.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2009, 05:49 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Stiffening up with inactivity is called gelling phenomenon. The excess fluid in the joint settles into a particular area and when you go to move, it doesn't want to move to where there is space for it. It used to take me several minutes to get my knees straight after sitting...very embarrassing in a restaurant, not to mention painful.

Chances are at 41 you are getting osteoarthritis and it should be checked by your doc. Xrays will help to determine the severity and who knows, maybe you've torn some cartilage and it can be repaired. Don't sit and hurt....see your doc and find out what's wrong. Lots of help for arthritic knees these days. I should know...mine are plastic and metal!

good luck..............Jenny

Old 09-19-2012, 03:39 PM   #4
(female)

Yole59 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby_36 View Post
I'm a 41 year old female, average weight. Lately I've been having problems with my knee and I thought maybe someone here could help me figure out what to do.

Lately when I sit and cross my legs (sometimes when I don't cross them) and sit for a while... Well it was only when I sat for an extended time- like in a theather.... Now its after just sitting on the couch for 10 minutes. My left knee hurts so bad. When I stand I can barely bend at the knee and walking down stairs is nearly impossible. After I move around for 5 -10 minutes it feels better and it never just hurts for no reason. Only right after I stand up (or extend it)

I am not a sports person and I didn;t injure it. I don't have a physically difficult job, I'm a teacher.

Any idea what this could be, whether it is something to be concerned about, or should I just take Naprosen and realize I'm getting old?

Old 09-19-2012, 04:10 PM   #5
(female)

Yole59 HB User

The back of my left knee was hurting also. I've been taking 500mg of Magnesium and 100mg of B-6 which has helped alot with the pain and stiffness. I try not to sit on all of my left thigh when possible. I've been to therapy and it didn't help. I was at a football game and set for 3 hours, when i got up I had bad pain on the back of my knee and thought i could not walk again but after a few minutes it went away. Next step is to go to pain management and see what they say. I'll keep in touch.

Old 09-19-2012, 04:41 PM   #6
(female)

Yole59 HB User

The back of my left knee was hurting also. I've been taking 500mg of Magnesium and 100mg of B-6 which has helped alot with the pain and stiffness. I try not to sit on all of my left thigh when possible. I've been to therapy and it didn't help. I was at a football game and set for 3 hours, when i got up I had bad pain on the back of my knee and thought i could not walk again but after a few minutes it went away. Next step is to go to pain management and see what they say. I'll keep in touch. But do try the Magnesium and B6, you will notice a big difference.

Old 11-17-2012, 12:32 AM   #7
(male)

raw430 HB User

I have had the same problem for years. The only thing that really has helped me is exercise, and I take glucosamine. Glucosamine is for joints, and it is fairly cheap at walmart. Hope this helps. I know how painful it can be, especially now that it is getting cold outside. Good luck, hope you feel better soon.

Old 11-19-2012, 04:53 PM   #8
(male)

jonvtec HB User

I have had the same type of pain .I have a TNR on my right leg
and soon the left knee will need a TNR.
If I sit at my computer my pain is moderate.
As soon as I stand up the pain in my knees are so intense.
Left Knee 9/10 Right Knee 4/10
The pain is hard to explain to family and my Pain Doctor .
It always feels like the Doctor is thinking I am drug seeking.
My left knee hopefully will get replaced Jan 2013.
I have found the following to help this pain
- Cold Pack
-While sitting I do stretching
-Use a cane
-Avoid sitting during the day
My TNR right knee feels 90% better.
I go to rehab 2 x a week and I push hard to excersis.
I have lost 20Lbs so I feel great and
it takes a lot of weight off my knees and that is a
Good Thing
Thanks again for your story

Old 02-07-2013, 01:07 PM   #9
(female)

Yole59 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by raw430 View Post
I have had the same problem for years. The only thing that really has helped me is exercise, and I take glucosamine. Glucosamine is for joints, and it is fairly cheap at walmart. Hope this helps. I know how painful it can be, especially now that it is getting cold outside. Good luck, hope you feel better soon.
The reason for the pain on the back of my knee turn out to be a Baker's cyst, which is slowly going away and no longer have as much pain.

Reply Reply