It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2009, 03:20 PM   #1
(female)

CountryGirleh HB User
Stryker Triathlon Knee Prosthesis

I had a left TKR Jan 23 of this year. Is there anyone who had the same surgery with the same prosthesis? If so, how are you doing?

Old 06-02-2009, 11:40 AM   #2
(female)

KatyHex HB User
Thumbs up Re: Stryker Triathlon Knee Prosthesis

ContryGirleh

I just got my knee replaced by a Stryker Triathlon 2 months ago. It seems to be working. It still "klunks" especially when the scar tissue starts to tighten up. I am hoping that will go away with increased strengthening and flexibility.

I got my knee replaced because it 'stopped working'. That is, it would lock and catch when I walked. I could bicycle and do Yoga but walking was a horrible chore. My friends said it was painful to watch. Luckily it wasn't painful, just difficult.

My new knee, even though it is still a little stiff and weak, is already so much better than my old knee, at least when walking. I do not feel confident enough to get on my bike or do Yoga just yet.

The knee is still sensitive to twisting or lateral stress. If that doesn't improve then Yoga will be a problem.

How about you?

Katy

Last edited by KatyHex; 06-02-2009 at 11:41 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2009, 04:21 PM   #3
(female)

CountryGirleh HB User
Re: Stryker Triathlon Knee Prosthesis

I am told that "snap, crackle, pop" is what we can expect with this joint.

My knees have never locked up on me; but they were very painful. I was on
morphine for a year and maxed out on Tyllenol #3 at the same time,and I was
STILL in pain. My left knee is doing ok. I do notice some discomfort that is
nothing compared to previously. Actually, the pain in my right knee is sort
of over riding the discomfort in my left knee. I was supposed to have the
right knee replaced May 07 but developed the possibility of an abscess
involving one of my teeth, and was on antibiotics. The surgery was postponed
because the dental stuff was happening too close to the surgery date. I have
been told that I cannot have any dental work done two weeks before surgery
and not for three months following. Also I must be on antibiotics whenever I
have any dental work done -- for the rest of my life, because of the risk of infection.

For the past two years I have done nothing but work, eat, and sleep.
Occasionally, I would take my bicycle out with some friends. I can now bike
fine, and have taken up swimming which is highly recommended by my surgeon.
I am looking forward to walking/hiking once I have two good knees under me.
i had the most incredibly funny walk because I was compensating for the
pain. My physiotherapist aped my walk and I couldn't help but laugh as I
watched his interpretation of what i looked like. I have had to learn to
walk properly once again. I am still not walking absolutely correctly
because of my right knee, but I can only look forward to improving.

If you're only two months post op I wouldn't worry about biking as yet. My
suggestion would be to wait for the 3 months mark and then go biking with
friends -- on fairly flat surfaces at first.

I haven't done much twisting yet because of my other knee, but once I have
two knees that work I will be doing deep water running (aka Extreme H2O, or
aerobics in the dive tank. I don't know much about yoga, but what I do know,
I would take it easy with that. Are you able to call your doctor's office
and ask what your limitations are? Or were you given instructions upon
discharge?

I am back at work - 4 hours per day monday to friday for now. My MD doesn't
want me to work full time just yet, and I don't want to go back on Morphine
jsut for two more months until my surgery at the end of july. It's quite a
juggling act.

Please excuse my disjointed reply, but I was trying to comment on your email
as I read it.

Thanks for the email. Let's keep in touch.

Last edited by CountryGirleh; 06-03-2009 at 04:23 PM.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:21 AM   #4
(female)

KatyHex HB User

Country Girl,

Did you mean to say this knee would always crack and pop? Not that that would be new to me. My right knee actually crackles and pops a lot more. My doctor said my only limitation with this knee would be high impact exercise which I already knew. I didn't ask specifically about the Yoga. I can already do some positions I was just wondering about sitting crossed legged which is kind of standard. I couldn't sit cross legged before because neither of my knees bent more than about 110 degrees. It didn't stop me from doing Yoga. I guess I was like the guy in that old joke who asked if he could play the violin after a surgery when he'd never played the violin at all. After all this work I guess I want things to be better than they ever were.

Some days I get afraid and think my life as I knew it is over especially when nothing I do seems to loosen up my knee. Then, the next day it will be better and I will be over optimistic. This has been so much more difficult than I expected. I had my surgery on 6 April and I really expected to be fully recovered by now. I was a little sad that I missed all the "May is Bike Month" activities. There is a friendly competition in my area to see who can bike the most miles in that month. Except for my knees, I was in really great shape this year. I was hoping to ride 500 miles. I only did 300 last year.

I sound like such a whiner. I am very grateful that I have any kind of knee. Just 50 years ago, they would have just fused my joint because knee prosthesis' were still experimental. I would have walked like Chester from Gunsmoke for the rest of my life. There would have been NO hope of riding then.

Thank you for replying to my message. My gym has a pool and I will make an effort to get into it on a regular basis. That was highly recommended by my doctor and physical therapist.

I am getting better every day and I hope you are as well.

Katy

Old 06-13-2009, 12:05 AM   #5
(female)

CountryGirleh HB User

You only had your surgery April 6? I think you will be a good deal longer recovering. I had mine Jan 23 and I still can't do everything. Every day is a different day. I am back to work 4 hours per day and come home and sleep for an hour. My surgeon said that it could be a year before everything was settled down. i thought I could go biking and swimming and work and..... But I just don't have the energy after work to do both or even do them on alternate days. My biggest concern is that I remain healthy and become stronger so that my next surgery will go well. Apparently some of us tend to do too much too soon and that causes problems. So take it easy. So far i am thrilled with the lack of pain in that knee. i have some mild pain, but nothing at all like it was before. I am so looking forward to the next one. I am able to do a lot but have to modify my activity because of my other knee. Physio tried to tell me i wasn't walking right; it's hard to walk properly because of my bad knee. The physiotherapist implied that i can expect snap crackle and pop to accompany me the rest of my life. Although i must say it seems to be worse when I've been up and about a lot. It isn't a constant thing. But like you i can see improvement daily. Talk to you soon.

Old 06-14-2009, 05:13 PM   #6
(female)

KatyHex HB User

Country Girl,

I have been tired too. I am back to work full time. I can sleep 12 hours no trouble. I used to wake up after 5 hours, 6 hours at most without an alarm. I am not used to needing to sleep more. Last night my whole leg was aching. I think I over did the physical therapy. I ended up taking a vicadin which I haven't for a month or so.

I too am still way better off than I was even though I am experiencing more pain now. At least it works. My knee was not working at all before but, curiously, I wasn't in any pain. It sounded painful. My physical therapist (before sugery) and my friends complained of the horrible grinding noise it made when I tried to walk on it. It is completely soundless now, unlike my other knee that grinds a bit but still works. I don't plan on getting it replaced until it stops working. This has been way to hard to jump into again right away.

Keep me updated. It is nice to compare notes with someone.

Katy

Closed Thread